Best way to value figures...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by simplygriff, Oct 15, 2008.

1. simplygriff

simplygriff µ - Elitist Dick

News Credits:
    So other than checking completed auctions on eBay, what's the best way to try to set values for figures and parts? I don't think that looking at retail sites like Big Bad and TF Source really give a good gauge for some older stuff but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot else to go on. I want to try to research some stuff without posting a ton of "how much is this worth" threads...
    -G

2. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    It depends what you are valuing the item for...

If you just want to know how much to pay, ask other collectors, then add about 25%-35% onto what they think it should be. Collectors who are looking for things in the market like to devalue them in their head. This of course only pertains to competitive markets like eBay or toy shows. Fan boards will often afford a discount to other fans.

If you are valuing the item for insurance purposes, then use BBTS as your guide to pricing. Think of it this way. If your house burns down and your collection is destroyed, you will at some point want to buy it back. If insurance only pays you what the MSRP was, you will get back about 30% of your toys and run out of money, especially if you have rare or valuable ones to begin with. Using BBTS's inflated price structure allows you to account for a 'worst case scenario' for repurchasing lost toys.

3. simplygriff

News Credits:
    That seems like pretty good advice.

So how would you value something you want to sell? I don't want to rip people off but I don't want to get ripped off either.

And is it cool to post up valuation threads? Seems like there should be a specific forum for that.
    -G

4. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

Actually, you had it in your first sentence. Closed Ebay auctions is probably the single most accurate guage these days. Discard the highs, lows & BINs and it's a indicator of what people really pay.

5. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    I agree, but I would not discard BIN info. BIN is a good indication of the upper limits people will pay. My perspective for selling on eBay is to go for maximum profit margin, even if it means a relisting or two. Changes to eBay's pricing structure with lower listing fees, but higher sale percentage takings almost requires this.

6. simplygriff

News Credits:
    Well... If that is the best solution, that's cool too. :D 

What do ya'll do when it's not on eBay though?
    -G

7. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

I was actually thinking BINs on the low end. Y'know, the ones where someone who doesn't really know what they are doing puts up a complete Fort Max with a $100 BIN and it sells in the first 15 seconds.... That doesn't mean Fort Max is only worth $100!

8. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, why don't you just start it at a price you'd personally be happy to see it sell for? If it then goes for more, consider it a bonus