Best way to stream Netflix?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by galvascream, Mar 12, 2011.

1. galvascream

galvascream Apple Junkie

News Credits:
    I've been using the Wii's Netflix streaming program, and it's got tons of bugs. I've heard that both the Apple TV and the Roku have issues as well. Some Blu-Ray Players can do Netflix streaming, but are there any bugs on those? Or should I just buy the Component cable for my iPod so I could stream to the TV through that instead?

2. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I have eleven devices and counting in my household that stream Netflix. I'm not some Netflix OCD person I swear, it's just that they're putting Netflix streaming in EVERYTHING these days. Unfortunately they don't have a consistent user experience at all.

The only one I've ever experienced actual bugs on is my Blu-ray player. When it first starts streaming it sometimes drops either video, audio, or both. To fix it we either have to unplug and re-plug the HDMI cable, or sometimes shut the player down and start over. But, my player is 2 or 3 years old, it was one of the very first Blu-Ray players to include Netflix, and they've never updated the firmware for it. I wouldn't expect this problem to happen on current models.

I think the PS3 has the best user experience of all the devices I have, it's my first choice in my household, but I also wouldn't buy a PS3 just for Netflix. It's not worth it if you don't already have one.

The only one I'd actively advise against is actually the Wii one, since it can't do HD or surround sound and at least for me, has problems with even handling the bandwidth properly for the SD content. Anything else is probably okay.

3. wljk

wljk Well-Known Member

The XBOX 360 is not to bad, as long as...
    1. It has wired, not wireless, network connection...
    2. You view it through HDMI on High Def, not bad watching streamed TV shows with component on SD TV's..
    3. You pay for XBOX Live Gold (Not to fond of this...)

I personally watch it on my PC (non HD), my XBOX (in SD on old TV in bedroom), and on my HD monitor thru an Insignia Blu-ray player.

I personally like the 3rd method, 1 HDMI, 1 Net cable, and 1 optical Toslink connection to me Turtle Beach X11's with the Surround sound amplifier for 7.1 SS.

4. ronin0510

ronin0510 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    my ps3 has been my choice for netflix streaming.

5. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I use the PS3, it's given me the most consistent of streaming quality of all my devices, even over wireless and crappy DSL. However, the user interface is completely inconsistent. What design I see isn't necessarily what design you may see, and they change it up every few weeks - months, which pisses me off to no end. Right now, browsing on my PS3 is so utterly useless because they've decided to only give me access to some categories. I am forced to go through my computer first to find something, which completely defeats the purpose.

So if you decide to go with a PS3, be prepared for them to screw with you...A lot.

6. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Pretty much what Joe said covers it. PS3 is what I use, but the user interface does suck. I love the interface on the iPad... but that is basically a computer interface. I'm not really sure why they can't make it universal in some way.

It also doesn't help that I am in Canada and most of the current stuff is not available when I go looking for it.

7. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I wish they used the iPad interface as I agree it's by far the best, I often have to check for new content through the iPad first to see what's on Netflix. I have Apple TV and a Ps3 and they are both identical in terms of quality and interface.

8. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i like the Wii's navigation cause using the wii-mote is so much easier...and i dont have a HDTV so yeah. i dont have any Bandwith issues with it, streams just fine.

but for those with HDTV, i heard the PS3 is better.

9. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Apparently AT&T is going to teered plans for regular internet just like phones with a 150gb limit per month. So that will limit your netfix usage. And since AT&T is doing it, expect the other companies to follow suite.