Customs: Best way to prevent paint chipping when tranforming?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Pyro, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Pyro

Pyro @NurseMidnight

News Credits:
    Hey guys, I'm new to making custom Transformers and I'm almost done with my first repaint. It's a Classics Starscream to Classics Thundercracker and I was wondering what's the best way to prevent paint chipping during transformation?

2. IceWilly

IceWilly Technobot

I haven't been customizing too long, but the lessons I learn immediately were

1) Understand the transformation before you begin repainting.
    2) Sand down all joints that move across each other, and all pegs/joints that HAVE to contact something else.
    3) Learn how to transform it cleanly with minimal rubbing and part touching.

Sure you can probably paint it better so its more resistant, but after spending hours and hours painting you are going to be SUPER careful transforming it anyway. I have sanded down joints that are only used during transforming just to give myself a little more leeway.

And another point I want to get across... no matter what point you are in of the process, its almost always better to fix something up than just to leave it. I left a few surfaces a little too close for comfort just because I had already detailed a little bit in that area. I will end up regretting it forever because it will always be a magnet for chipping and problems. I should have just spent a little more time when I had the chance, and done it better.

3. Mathius Maximus

Mathius Maximus Well-Known Member

The only thing I would add to that is:

1. Clearcoat is your friend
    2. Make SURE all your paint is fully cured before any unnecessary transforming, posing, etc. takes place, even if you have to wait a full month to be certain. (some paints will cure to be handled within 24 hours or even less, but most paints take a lot longer to FULLY cure. Automotive paint used to take up to a month to cure 100%)

Mathius