Best way to open new ALT packaging?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by M-Prime, Jan 4, 2006.

1. M-Prime

M-Prime Banned

I was wondering if any of you kind folks out in fandomland have any tips for me in regards to opening my new ALT boxes in a way that will allow me to keep them for later storage of the bots when not displayed. I can see how I could cut the flat end of the plastic outer bubble, and slide out the inner bubble after loosening the bottom flaps, but that will lead to some pretty serious disintegration of the plastic after doing that a few times. (It seems like Hasbro kind of sent out a big FU to the collectors on the new package design, which is surprising seeing as how the entire line is aimed at collectors.)

So, any tips, tricks, or ideas? Any assistance would be appreciated.

2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I think it's a lost cause for keeping the boxes once they opened. The alts were one of the few figures I kept the boxes for, mainly for storage. But after getting a few new ones this Christmas, there appears to be no way to do so.

3. Tray

Tray Well-Known Member

So far, the only thing I've gotten to work has been (1) cutting every piece of tape possible, and (2) being very, very, careful. The cardboard acts like it really really wants to rip (which it has, for me, twice), but as long as you're extra careful and don't mind not having any intact tape, its not too bad. But if you want to keep most of the tape intact, its gonna be tough.

4. TriBlurr

TriBlurr Who am I?

News Credits:
    Cut a 3 sided trap door underneath the alt. Then when you want to put him back in, a bit of tape will keep the trapdoor shut.

I havn't done it myself, but I've heard it works.

5. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Well that sucks. Haven't seen the packaging yet around here, but it'll be a fun puzzle to figure out.

6. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

7. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    I've looked at your link. I think I"ll be trying a variation on method #2, which is similar to how I open other bubbled TFs. Instead of tearing the bubble free from the cardboard, I usually use an x-acto knife and cut through three of the four sides, creating the flap that you can open to take the inner plastic tray in and out. It seems as though that would work in theory anyway. I'll let you know when I try it out.

8. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I got tired of the new packaging the minute I started to try opening the Galaxy Force blister packs. Now, short on patience and uninterested in mangling around with the plastic bubbles, I just take a big-ass knife to the packaging and cut a hole as big as the toy.

For the Alternators, I just core the plastic top from the cardboard bottom. ...of course, this doesn't really preserve the boxes very well, but I've given up on caring - the packaging is f***ing annoying, in my opinion.

9. vf-xx

vf-xx ereh ees ot gnihtoN

Ebay:
    If you remove the outer bubble you can still preserve the cardboard base for display. I also xactoed the tape on the innner bubble so I can still use the inner bubble with the base for storage.

10. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If it is Alt skids, I recommend opening the box with a sledge hammer.

11. Dio

Dio Scrapper

I prefer the method I think was already mentioned - loosen the outer bubble on 3 sides, leaving a long side attached so it'll hold in place when you have them on display, then x-acto all the tape from the cardboard base and unfold it completely. X-acto the tape off the tabs for the inner bubble and it can be slid right out and back in later. A little invisible tape on the inner bubble tabs and a piece on the side of the outer bubble keeps it looking brand spankin' new after opening.

12. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Yeah I just carefully opened three sides of the box and gently pulled the alts out. The boxes emerged just fine, and if I feel the need to completely reseal it, I'll just use a little tape. The new boxes would kill resale value, but I don't plan on selleing anything anytime soon and the boxes are only used for display with the Alts anyway.