Fan Art: best way to do transformation?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by ALPHA TRION, Aug 13, 2006.

1. ALPHA TRION

ALPHA TRION Member

I was wondering is it better to make two versions of the transformer. one in robot mode and one in alt mode, and morph them, or to make the robot mode fully transformable. For the sake of time, wich one is the least time consume'n. I don't want it to look cheezy though.

2. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

Are you talking about 2D, 3D, animatics?

3. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

This is for 3D animation. I've actually done both methods, and it really depends on your level of skill in terms of rigging.

One bit of transformation theory involves three models that have their own rig which are then parented to a master controller.

The first is the alternate mode which features all the functions that the alternate mode would carry out.

The second is the robot mode which has the character rig.

The last is the transformation model which is what drives the transformation back and forth.

I hope that this is of some help.

Some of the other animator/modelers around here like Weewoo or Draven may use a different approach.

4. ALPHA TRION

ALPHA TRION Member

So basically I would do the Robot, alt, and a third model for the controller. I understant that part, but what would the third model be of? would it be the robot, or alt mode or what?

5. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    the comic book way. have a car, then one or two "in between" pictures showing the pieces slowly start to seperate, then BAM a huge blocky robot with a wheel on each arm as the only trace that there ever used to be a car there. maybe a windshield on the chest if you're feeling heroic.

:p 

6. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Nope, I do it pretty much the same way.
    1) One model which is purely alt mode; no hidden robot parts at all.
    2) One model which is purely robot mode (any hidden weapons are on another robot mode only model, which is only used when those weapons are))
    3) One model whichis fully transformable. This is used for transformation scene animating.
    The biggest advantage to this way of working is that you don't need to have extra parts loaded that eat up memory; believe me, when you're working on a big scene this is a VERY good thing.

7. -=|cerebros|=-

-=|cerebros|=- Headmaster Commander

Ok so here it goes... Here's how I do the huge bots (metroplex/Trypticon).The steps apply to the smaller batch as well... This procedure is for 3dsmax but should apply to other as well. The terms used are all in the helpfile(s) for further explanation.

1)Model everything, and then make sure it looks good. Also make sure that it can transform to resemble the alt mode.
    2)Now create a proxy of that robot that's just a bunch of cubes but these cubes share the same bounding box and pivot/rotation points as the highres original.
    3)Now Xref the highres with the lowres proxy. You can now animate the lowres and when you render Xref will pull in the highres for the render. Makes animating a breeze, plus it has one major benefit. It separates your model from the animation. Meaning you can keep on continuing to apply texturing and materials and not worry about the animation thats assigned to the model.
    4)So when it comes to animating the transformation part I have another xref thats for the alt mode in "reverse". This has all its parts alligned to the parts on the robot.
    5) I then create a slider widget in max that will "blend" between the two. This slider pretty much controls the animation keys set to transform between pose 1 and the alt mode. Because it's all set in a expression that controls the slider, all I need to do is animate the slider and watch the robot "transform" in response...
    6) weapons and all that other stuff "morphs" or fades out/in as needed. Their transparency is linked into the widget animation as well.

*advantage to working like this*
    1) separates render version from animation version, light and responsive animation scenes are a result.
    2) continue texturing and lighting without having to worry about losing the animation
    3) Do it the way the big studios do ! : )

*disadvantage*
    You need to be able to script somethings and tie them all together. Also don't overwrite the scenes your Xref'ng to or your screwed.

Thats it, easy innit? :) 

C.

8. ALPHA TRION

ALPHA TRION Member

one of you masterminds need to do a tutorial. This is baffeling to a point. I understand some of the concept, but I'm a little more visual, so if you guys can do a simple tutorial with some pics that would be great, that's if you have the time of course!!!

9. -=|cerebros|=-

I'll set something up with a cassette, as they seem to have the easiest scheme for this. No one happens to have a 3d cassette robot/alt model lying around do they?

I'll do it in 3dsMax and render it out nicely for yáll...

C.

10. ALPHA TRION

ALPHA TRION Member

Your the best Kidd!!! Ohh, and I also use max, so the transition should be simple.

11. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

I've got a poly overkilled cassette that I can export from Maya to an OBJ if ya want.

Was going to be the alternate mode model for a slew of Soundwave's minions before I learned that Mental Ray for Maya can now support tris and Ngons in Subdivision Surfaces.

Just PM me if you need it Cerebros and I'll hook up with you on AIM.

12. Trypitcon

Trypitcon No, I can't spell.

I think thanks are in order to all who apply to this thread. It's nice to see such a question get answered. I've often thought of asking such a thing, but didn't know if anyone would respond, feeling it might give away their secret or something.

13. weewoo

weewoo Veteran

i just build the models and edit pivot points, link objects together and keyframe the TF sequences as im building.. no rig, no slidey constrainty things, just keyframed parts.. itd be awful for animating :) 

14. -=|cerebros|=-

Ouch.... That has to hurt Woo!!! The rig makes it very easy to time the animation...

C.

15. Trypitcon

Trypitcon No, I can't spell.

I do the same as Weewoo. Always wondered if there was a better way. :D 

16. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

I do much the same thing as Weewoo, although I learnt a little bit ago about morphing and morph targets and sliders that I hadn't used before. Too bad I'm almost not modelling now.

Bleh, I still owe someone a spaceship ><