Customs: Best way to clean up scuplted fine details?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by simplygriff, Aug 10, 2011.

1. simplygriff

simplygriff Elitist Dick

News Credits:
    I'm working on a new project and have sculpted some fine detail into it. Panel lines and that sort of thing. What's the best way to sand or clean them up without messing them up?

Only thing I've thought of is maybe folding a piece of sandpaper and running it through the details. Any other ideas? Any suggestions are appreciated!! :D 
    -G

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

A scraping tool similar to what dentists use, or something like a paper clip or toothpick.

3. Budokhan

Budokhan Wheeljack's apprentice

I've used these quite a bit over the years to clean up fine detail like removing burrs & such from panel lines, smoothing features out etc...

Ultra Micro Fiberglass Brush

They work really well but as with anything that relates to fiber glass, when using them its best to wear protection on your hands like latex gloves, dishwashing gloves or something similar. Also, wearing a dust mask is a good idea, especially if you work close to your projects. Personally,I learned the hard way that its really hard to get micro fiberglass bits out of your fingers! Eeek!

Hope that helps some! :D 

Cheers

~BK

4. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

I do alot of cleaning up panel lines with the back of my x-acto blade. It's scribing the line, not cutting. So it removes material. You can fold sandpaper and do that method, but I find i have to wrap the paper around something rigid so it haves enough strength. otherwise it opens up and sands your nice clean scribing edges over anything else.

thats the simple low tech way.

Randy!

5. simplygriff

simplygriff Elitist Dick

News Credits:
    Thanks guys! Good suggestions.
    -G