best way for getting the smoke smell off of transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by perithimus, Jul 28, 2008.

1. perithimus

perithimus Well-Known Member

I bought a classics ramjet from ebay. Guy said in his description that it was only taken out of the package to display. Like new. I get it and it smells like cigarettes and has some yellowing on thw launchers.

2. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

Ugh....Well, as a victim of receiving MULTIPLE figures from people who conveniently forgot to mention that they smoked like a chimney around their toys (Including a secondhand MP Ultra Magnus who was literally sticky and brown from the smoke) I feel your pain.

In cleaning my Magnus, for example, I took him apart into as many pieces as I felt comfortable with, and scrubbed the parts with dish soap and a soft old toothbrush in a bowl of warm water, being careful to avoid damaging any stickers or paint apps, then rinsed them off well and dried them as best I could with a towel before setting them in front of the fan to dry overnight.

This got the smoke smell out, and removed the sticky goo all over his person. Thankfully he was not yellowed in any way, which would have been a tragedy. I'm not sure there's anything that CAN be done about the yellowing on your ramjet, as it tends to permeate the plastic itself. In my experience, nothing, not even Bleach or dye removal agents, will remedy it.

And in the meantime, I think that ebay seller owes you an explanation, and a Neutral rating at best... :throw 

3. perithimus

Yeah I sent him a message asking him to explain the reason why it was not mentioned.

4. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

Brown Paper Bag pour baking soda in the bag place your bot in bag seal the top of bag then leave alone for a day or two. The longer the better.

5. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I got a few Pretenders that smelt of smoking, not badly but enough to be noticable. I opened my windows, and stood them right in front of the window to air out for a bit. The smell left them after a day or two.

That probably won't work if the smoking was heavy enough to cause yellowing, and I'm going to make a note of this thread to try some of these suggestions next time something like this comes up.

6. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

I would first clean the figure, then stick it in a box with a couple sheets of fabric softener. Leave it in there for a couple of days. It should get rid of the smell.

7. TheInformation

TheInformation The ghost of an automaton

There's an article online about buying used SNES and NES systems and controllers, written by a chemistry professor from NYU. He says that if you leave the plastic out in direct sunlight on a bright, warm day, that the smoke smell will almost entirely disappear. I tried this on my old SNES from my mother's house when I moved out (she used to smoke a lot) and it worked like Magic. It may take a few tries.

The baking soda thing worked for me once with some old Ninja Turtles, too.

8. GBNR

GBNR Well-Known Member

I have had luck putting the bot into a plastic bin with a handful of charcoal briquettes and sealing it for a few days. Hopefully the yellowing will come off with alcohol.

9. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    Take up smoking, then you won't notice the smell.

10. Caine

Caine Rise up to the glory!!

News Credits:
    Use camphor.

11. perithimus

hehe his response was " I do not smoke and the toy was placed in a plastic bag after opening and only taken out for the picture. Thank you and have a nice day" What should I do?

12. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

Make a claim in paypal and get your money back. Buy mine ;) 

13. revlimiter

revlimiter Bot Hacker

News Credits:
    I've had luck totally immersing a figure in cat litter. Fresh cat litter. Just stick it in the bucket completely buried. 24 hours later and you'll have a dusty figure with no smell. A quick hit of compressed air fixes the dust.

Baking soda didn't really work after 60 hours in a sealed bag.

leaving out in the sun was ok, but still could detect smell.

Spraying with fabreeze also didn't help much.

14. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    Unfortunately as far as I know there isn't anything you can do about the yellowing. At least this is the case with shoe midsoles. You could try painting it white though.

15. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got a few Transformers that smelled like they were from a smoking home, all I did was sparay some Axe on them and they were fine.

16. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    Paypal will usually always find in favour of a mis-described item, bear in mind you'd probably lose the return shipping though, balance that against whether you can be arsed cleaning him up.

:lol