BEST Voltron Lion Force

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by CVprowl, Feb 2, 2011.

1. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Since price matters I think your options are limited but whatever you decide I would say get something soon since prices seem to be climbing on everything.

I think the Masterpiece Voltron that was diecast was limited to 15000 pieces if you like "limited" pieces.

If you decide on a Trendmaster one make sure you know exactly which one you are getting. They had a diecast one that was essentially just a reissue of the 80s toy. It had weapons but I guess it was neutered. (I don't have one from the 80s so I didn't know.) Then they had a regular plastic one of the die cast version. Then they had the version with the little pilot figures inside. Then all the lame variants like stealth and I think jungle.

2. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey btw I have one on my sales thread if your interested in the trendmasters voltron. Its still factory sealed from 97 and never opened. :) 

3. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    If you're not too picky about it being exactly like the original, and don't want to spend a buttload of money, you could always wait for the new Voltron Force toys to come out. We should be seeing them at Toy Fair.

4. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Other than the Toynami plastic voltron I had - I now recall I had the trendmasters one and it was disappointing! One of the limbs simply would not stay in place! In the end, I simply packed him into a plastic bag and kept him in storage! Thankfully, I got him at a discounted price and I never bought a trendmaster's product again.

5. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    When I started looking to find a replacement for the beaten-up lions that I had, I considered the newer Masterpiece version(s). I decided against them though, after sentimentality took a hold of my purhcase decision (if you choose one of the Masterpiece figures, pick plastic; as I'd read some poor reviews of the metal one!).

I found the '97 Trendmasters reissue here on another user's B/S/T thread, and let me tell you, I'm glad I did! The figure is nearly identical to the older 80's toys (the only differences being the green & red lions have an extra molded piece added to the lions' backs, doesn't affect anything, and still looks fine!). The reissue uses good ol' Die-Cast & plastic, so the figures feel nice & heavy!

So, while the Masterpiece figure is an improvement in the way of articulation, the '97 Trendmasters reissue one heck of a nostalgia trip!

*IMHO, whatever you do, PASS ON ANYTHING from the '98 "Voltron: The 3rd Dimension" toyline... The figures were completely plastic, neutered, less articulated (the green & red lions don't have elbows!), and just not as cool... -My roommate has one of these figures, and it's just not as impressive...

6. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

good info good info, maybe ill have to wait for toyfair... i could get the dvds while i wait.

7. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Stealth Voltron :lol 

8. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Very good review of everything out there. If you want the one like the 80s go for the trendmasters, if you want the one which can bend around better go for the masterpiece. If you want diecast either one of these is good.

9. ShadowMagnus

ShadowMagnus Sekai no Hakaishin

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Well as far as articulation goes Id say the Masterpiece metallic Voltron. However in terms of nostalgia trips Id say the original 80s all die cast Voltron or the 97 reissue of him. I have the original one minus Blazing Sword & Shield and if the reissue is as spot on as the original one then get it. How much does the original one cost these days?

10. Keith Prime

Keith Prime Advanced Engineer

News Credits:
    Masterpiece all the way/ DVDs

Back in 2006 (I'm pretty sure), I stumbled across Toynami's Masterpiece Voltron & HAD to get it. I had never ordered anything off the net, still don't have credit cards (by choice), but HAD to get it. I got a Bandai Robotech Valkyrie when I got Voltron (figured why not). The ONLY other thing I've ordered off the net was FansProject's Bruticus Upgrade Kits.

I have been emencely happy w/ him. I got #01160.

I never had any die cast Voltrons when I was a kid (a friend did give me, I think either the Poppy or Matchbox Yellow Lion -- which is substantially smaller than MP's -- but that's all I have of the original Die Cast), so it was a must to fill that void. I did have the plastic one w/ TONS of weapons & the pilots w/ removable helmets, but most are lost to the toy boxes now (But all the Lions are still intact & together, albeit w/ sand damage making loose legs & cockpit canopies missing). So when I saw there was a Masterpiece version, it made my YEAR!

I have had no problems w/ my Masterpiece Voltron, he poses nicely (though, they could've designed Black Lion to allow it to sit & the legs could've been metal too, minors complaint), I haven't had any paint problems, & in my opinion, he's a better representation of Voltron, than MP Optimus Prime is of G1 Prime (they're about the same height, probably near the same weight), & MP Op & MP Voltron go BEYOND show accurate, including such things as the foot thrusters we never saw, but saw in use, in the anime! & Voltron's face is on a seperate hinge, so when you open Black Lion's mouth in Lion mode, no face!

Take it from me, I am EXTREMELY tight w/ money, but still feel the $150 I used on MP Voltron was very well spent.​

As for the DVDs, a few years ago, WEP released all of Voltron across 8 DVDs sets through Media Blasters: the first 5 were Lion Force in Tin cases, the last 3 Vehicle Force in cardboard. Set 6, the first of VV, had a bad printing & I returned it 5 times, before giving it up as a completely slagged run; All the other disc sets are fine. There are 3 DVDs in each tin/ box set, w/ fan art & an explanation of why they released the DVDs when they did:

When WEP finally got around to reissuing the series, the tapes were litterally falling apart, much like w/ the Star Wars remaster. IIRC, they actually had to go get the original Go Lion Masters & litterally recreate Voltron from scratch, but since the soundtrack was one of, if not THE, first dubbed completely in stereo, it was still intact & easily upgraded to 5.1. Check Best Buy for the DVDs. Last time I looked for them, they still had some (been a long while though); their website may be the best bet. Just avoid Box Set 6, which sucks as it was the beginning of Vehicle Voltron.​

I'm currently waiting on permission from the runner of ACO's Reviews in the Box to give me permission to try to make one for FansProject's Bruticus Upgrade Kits; if that goes well, if I get some requests, I'm considering attempting one for Masterpiece Voltron, too. When any may be up is unknown, as I've never tried doing photocomics before.

If the review of Bruticus isn't too hard to make (& MP Voltron WILL show up in it), as mentioned in my Sig, I'm considering attempting a Running Battle between Bruticus & Voltron (the same guy who started ACO's Reviews in the Box started the Running Battle thread), which you might be interested in, as it should show off much of MP Voltron's posability & how stable he is (as it will be shot on carpet). If both go well & are well received, I may start my own comic thread in the Funnies & do a comic for "Transformers Adventures on Planet Arus".​

If I do the review &/ or Running Battle, if you want, I can post the links to them here.

11. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Best diecast one is the original Godaikin version. Toynami did make an MPC Voltron, the 1st one was diecast for $150 but the joints I heard, are prone to looseness due to the diecast being heavy. Also the arm connection tabs are prone to snapping off.

A plastic one was released later for $100 less, and does not suffer from the weight distribution issues of the former. Full articulation, decent release, could use tighter joints though.

12. Me Grimlock

Me Grimlock Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I've been dying to get a MP Voltron for a while, but hard to find them at a good price. Anyone that has posted here for a good price seems to sell it quickly. From what I've read here and across the web I'm going to try and get the metallic 25 anniversary. The ebay prices are pretty nuts these days.

13. Keith Prime

Keith Prime Advanced Engineer

News Credits:
    Well, MP Voltron did have a limited run & is a fantastic representation of the Mighty Robot. It was conceived as a collectors item from the start. I'm glad I found one early, by chance. I had ALWAYS wanted a Die Cast Voltron... It just took me 2 decades to find one.

As I said I would, Voltron has finally made his apparence in my comic... Took 10 whole updates, but the one I'm working on now & hope to get up soon actually has him do stuff... STARTING w/ forming the Blazing Sword! I hope the effects I used to do it look good to everyone else... I'm still learning how to do FX. Just click my sig or one of the links by it to jump to the comic. He's helping the Animated Elite Guard review FansProject's upgrades to Bruticus currently... It's an uneasy truce.