Customs: Best version of TFA lockdown to paint

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by wasp819, Sep 22, 2009.

1. wasp819

wasp819 L-I-V-I-N

Ebay:
    Basically im going to paint animated lockdown
    He will be totally new colours
    Would getting the transparent lockdown be better than getting the original black and green one?
    Im thinking of the transparent one because this makes him a fresh uncoloured base and would probably make painting over the black easy and it might hold the colour better?
    Any surgestions or does it not really matter which version of lockdown i use

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Interesting. I've never really looked at it that way.

I always thought it'd be cool if clear/unpainted molds, like the kinds you see in prototype photos, were sold as well.

3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Personaly, I don't think Stealth/Clear/Crystal Lockdown would be a good base, as unlike normal plastic, light will show through the paint unless it's layered on thick enough I'll bet. Also, the high friction areas will probably always cause the paint to come off, revealing the toy's true origins. Lastly, I'd go with a normal or even Burning Lockdown for a repaint over the clear version as I'm not to fond of translucent parts (they break easier than normal plastic, just ask my old Star Saber mini-cons!).

If you're so worried about the color not being held, just use a coat of primer on a solid-plastic lockdown. If done right, the Black should not mess with the paint colors.

4. wasp819

wasp819 L-I-V-I-N

Ebay:
    Cool thanks for the heads up on the stelth version and your reasons make sense, didnt think about the light maybe shining through and the plastic being weaker, ile go for the original version then (i cant seem to stand blazin lockdown)

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Doesn't the first version of Lockdown have a mostly flat black finish to it? It's been just a little while since I played around with mine. If this is the case, you've probably got a decent base coat down on it from the get-go :)