Best version of each Movie character?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Miggytron, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Miggytron

Miggytron Slag Sucking Saurian

Hi guys, new member here. Forgive me if this topic has been brought up before but I can't seem to find the search function.

Anyways, I'm a collector from the days of Beast Wars who fell out of the hobby because of Armada et al. Back with a vengeance now and would like to get started on the movie characters. I'm not a completist by any means but would like at least one of each major character so if you guys could help me to quickly identify the general consensus best version, I'd really appreciate it.

So if you were starting from scratch and could only have one of each character, what would you choose?

From what research I've gathered my short list looks like:

Prime - Buster
    Jetfire - Gift pack with Buster
    Bumblebee - HA
    Mudflap and Skids - HA
    Barricade - HA
    Sideswipe - I've heard mixed reviews about HA
    Ironhide - Recon?
    Ratchet - No clue...there's so many
    Megatron - Shadow Command?
    Jazz - I've never seen a version I liked and I might have missed the boat so no big deal.
    Starscream - Maybe wait for the leader class

Admittedly my list is short on Decepticons. I dunno, I think the lack of characterization in the film is what makes me less interested in them...besides I still have tons of Classics to amass :p 

2. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

WELCOME!!!!

buster prime
    buster jetfire
    no bumblebees
    hate the twins
    HA barricade
    deluxe sideswipe
    recon hide
    voyager megs
    no jazz
    SS leader class...still waitin!
    hate the seekers
    OMG leadr brawl from 1st movie if that counts
    blackout premium
    I think thats it...dunno

3. ectoneon

ectoneon Well-Known Member

From what I see most of your choices are right on. Sideswipe is a personal preference thing. I find the deluxe to be more movie accurate, but the Ha version has more playability-If you don't mind the whole car is on his back. Don't have recon Ironhide yet, but I plan to. It will be my third version of the mold. Any of the Ironhide's are really good. But if you want accuracy, you gotta hunt down the premium version from the first film. The voyager ratchet mold is a very solid toy, that isn't too complicated. Whatever paintjob you prefer. I'm still gonna get the new deluxe ratchet when It comes out tho. Even though he has alot of kibble, I like the slimming down of his robot mode and he finally gets a gun. Yeah jazz's arms pretty much suck. I wish we could get a Ha Jazz. Screamer-definitely wait for the leader class. Megatron-Im would recommend the voyager over the leader. I have both tho, the leader is okay from a size and imposing persona standpoint, but the arms lack of articulation just kills it. And yeah, most of the classics are pure awsome!

4. Jetfire73

Jetfire73 Member

These are all pretty much in scale;

Robovision Prime
    Premium Bumblebee
    Recon Ironhide
    1st movie Premium Ratchet
    Deluxe Sideswipe/Swerve
    Jolt
    G1 colors Jazz
    1st movie Arcee

Leader Brawl
    The Fallen
    Voyager Megatron
    Voyager Starscream
    Ravage
    Stalker Scorponok

5. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Knockoff Oversized Legends-class Devastator

[​IMG]

6. Miggytron

Yeah that's the dilemma with Sideswipe. Scalewise, HA probably makes more sense but I don't get why they chose to mess with the transformation and the blades.

I have Voyager Ironhide from the first movie (my lone movie figure at the moment) is that the same thing?

I can't get enough of em :)  I got Bumblebee, Starscream, Megatron, Hot Rod and Grimlock when they came out, but then I went on a whole self control kick and missed out on the rest. I'm rapidly catching up though LOL Just this month I've managed to pick up Henkei Ironhide, Astrotrain, Galvatron, Ratchet, Smokescreen and Hasbro Jetfire, Skywarp, Ultra Magnus, Sunstreaker and Prowl. Still have sooo many to go though, which is why I can't waste money buying ten versions of Movie Bumblebee LOL

I'm waiting for the G1 colored Devastator... if I end up getting one at all :p 

7. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Premium Ironhide was a repaint of the same mold from the first movie.

Personally I thought he was better before Premium though (mostly I liked the premium versions better- especially BB, but I felt Ironhide was a step backwards).

BTW, I think deluxe Premium BB from the first movie is the best version so far. There are things about HA better than the premium deluxe- but also things definitely inferior. Premium is more consistent, and possibly one of the best deluxe figures ever! (I'd still like to see them do BB even better though- especially as a HA).

8. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    I agree with you in including HA BB, but for me it's a tie between this and the Alternity Suzuki Swift BB. :) 

9. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just from looking at the wiki, Final Battle Jazz seems like the definitive movie Jazz at this moment in time.

If I were you, seeing the characters you're interested in and assuming screen accuracy is your goal:

Prime: Buster
    Ironhide: The one you have, but steal the guns from another Ironhide to suit your preference (it looks like the one you have is the most accurate except for the guns...well, and the head, but it seems close enough)
    Ratchet: Get the Voyager for scale reasons and hold your nose. ;)  (Or keep him in alt mode)
    Final Battle Jazz
    The Premium Deluxe BB someone mentioned. Maybe it's a QC thing but the RotF Deluxe Bee I messed with just fell to pieces. Or, buy the HA because it's the best one overall, but that may encourage you to (expensively) get the HAs of Skids, Mudflap, and Sideswipe.
    Deluxe Sideswipe
    Do you have to buy the Twins? If so, Deluxe Skids and Mudflap fit in here.
    Legends Arcee (maybe Wheelie too)

As for Decepticons:
    Starscream: Leader
    Megatron: WAIT FOR MOVIE 3

And maybe it's just me, but I delight in giving those two a thuggish right-hand man. Bludgeon would actually work, even though he's not in the movie. So would Mixmaster or Leader Brawl. Ravage and Scorponok might be fun next to Leader SS too. My favorite TF for this purpose is actually Voyager Long Haul but he's too small next to Leader SS...of course, you may not care. If you do get HA BB, of course, HA Barricade suggests itself.

10. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

Ironhide - I'd keep the original you have. The 07 Premium edition is less screenaccurate than the original, or is to me anyway.

Ratchet - 07 Best Buy 'Premium' hands down.

Jazz - I like this guy despite all his faults, and the premium edition is a really nice paintjob.

11. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    All I can think of atm...

Buster Prime/Jetfire 2 pack are the best of their characters.

ROTF Voyager Megatron

Premium Ironhide

HA BB

HA Skids

HA Mudflap

Leader Starscream

Burning Fallen

Deluxe Ratchet

HA Arcee

HA Chromia

Deluxe Brawl

12. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
    For me it would be.
    Prime - Buster 2 Pack version (not the single release)
    Jetfire - Gift pack with Buster
    Bumblebee - HA (Preview Deluxe is nice too)
    Mudflap and Skids - HA (but the Deluxe figures are nice)
    Barricade - HA (Premium Deluxe is nice too)
    Sideswipe - I much prefer the Deluxe robot, but the HA car is awesome.
    Ironhide - Premium
    Ratchet - Premium/Best Buy
    Megatron - ROTF Voyager is the best figure, but the paint job sucks.
    Jazz - Premium Deluxe
    Starscream - I'd wait for the Leader, if not then Premium Voyager.

Randy

13. Miggytron

I went and got HA Bumblebee this morning. I gotta say that it is one fabulous toy. Great looking in both modes with a neat transformation :)  The only problem is he's bigger than my voyager Ironhide which seems wrong LOL. Sam stays in the box. Ugh humans.

Any thoughts on Desert Tracker Ratchet? Saw him at Target today. I'd like to avoid using eBay for my movie collection but if premium is really that much better then I'll go for it. I'd rather buy each figure just once.

I think the only Con I'm gonna end up getting is HA Barricade and maybe Leader Brawl. The others I'll just have to cross my fingers that they get better toys in TF3.

14. Jazz342

Jazz342 Well-Known Member

I agree with you on Jazz... very disappointed with the original coloring. Looked soooooo much better with thesilver pain job.
    Have the same problem with mudflap his figure looks brown rather than metallic red

15. trex5000

trex5000 Autobot

Ebay:
    HA bb seems to be in good scale with leader op which is nice for him, cause he usually towers over them all...

16. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey, this thread is back.

Willing to wait till fall? If so, you could build around the new Voyager Prime, and buy everyone else as a Deluxe. I'm actually thinking of doing something like that.

17. Miggytron

Back from the dead! LOL

I really don't like deluxe Ratchet, so I think I'm gonna stick to building off of leader Prime

The only one really hanging me up is Sideswipe since the deluxe looks so much better than HA, but the scale is off.

18. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Just Autobots because there's a ridiculous amount of on-screen Decepticons, personal preference too:

Leader ROTF Prime
    Leader Jetfire
    Deluxe Wheelie
    Deluxe Mudflap
    Deluxe Skids
    Deluxe Jolt
    Deluxe Arcee
    Deluxe Elita-1
    Deluxe Chromia
    Deluxe Ratchet
    Deluxe Premium Jazz
    Deluxe Premium Bee
    Voyager Premium Ironhide

19. lostnfound

lostnfound Contructiconvict

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what are the differences in regular jetfire and buster jetfire?

20. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    What was blue is now gray, it looks better, more accurate.