Best transformers toy guide?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Optimus Heckster, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Optimus Heckster

Optimus Heckster Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I have started collecting TF's again and was wondering if there was maybe a guide I could buy to help me along in my quest to own them all. :D  I did a quick search but didn't come up with anything. Something with many pictures that shows what accessories and what not they originally came with. I saw some for sale on ebay but was unsure which would be the best.

Thanks in advance

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    only hiros cybertronian guide for me :D 

oh, and the japanese generations book.

3. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

4. Optimus Heckster

Yes, those links help a ton. I am shocked at how much these things cost now. I'm kicking myself for selling the hundreds I had as a kid. I am going to go broke re-buying them. Is there anything you guys can suggest in a book format?

5. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

Your in the same shoes I was about 6 months ago. Just started recollecting my collection I sold off too. Already spent a couple thousand dollars. Still missing alot. Try buying from fellow collectors on this site. Toy shows in your area may also help. Last place to try is e-bay. You will usually pay more thou.

6. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Japanese book "Generations" is without doubt the best photo guide / reference book. Extremely high quality, crystal-clear pictures. All of the text is in Japanese, however.

http://www.tfsource.com/Reissues/Generations%20Book/generations-book.htm

The Cybertronian books (by TFW's own Hiro Prime) are also excellent, and include a TON of detail around the characters/toys and their weapons & accessories. Unfortunately, they are difficult to track down and due to the low production numbers, are very pricey. The Cybertronian Index is a good start, though. Less detail, but all the pics.

Harold has also provided some great non-photo checklists. You can find those in the Gallery section of TFW.

7. Optimus Heckster

Thanks you very much for the info. I think I may start with the index. Basically I am just looking for a "check sheet" of sorts. For more detail I may use the website posted above. Amazone is currently sold out though. Maybe I will check ebay.

8. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
  9. Optimus Heckster

Thanks you for the link. I think the Index is sold out. :mad: 

10. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah, I used to only use the on-line references as well (mostly tfu.info), but I managed to pick up volumes 1-5 of the Cybertronian Unofficial Recognition Guide by Antarctic Press recently and I love these things! Too bad they are usually so expensive...I got super lucky and got them all for about $4 each. Now, I just need vol. 6....

11. Roller

Roller Keep on rollin'! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
  12. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    search for the transmanuals...they may be a little harder to track down, but for all of g1 they bloody ROCK....

Hey, click me

thats a link to the guys website who made them...dont know if he still has any...but its worth a shot...and as for the later stuff, i have been thinking about putting together my own transmanuals for beast wars, so that may help, but thatll not be out for a good while still...

13. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I'm surprised Antarctic Press still has all the Cybertronian Guides. I don't think even Hiro Prime, who wrote the damned things, has all of them anymore. I was going to say that while I think those guides are the best book resource as far as identifying accessories and figures, they've been out of print a long time and were nigh impossible to find, but I guess if the publisher still has them maybe not.

The Japanese Generations book is awesome, but it doesn't ID parts and the text is all in Japanese. It's a great book, but not so great as a reference manual.

tfu.info is what I usually use for parts id, since it's quick, but it's not been updated in a while. Great for vintage stuff though.

My experience has not been great with any of the other book format guides. They have their merits, but why settle for less.

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i need the g2 one! argh!

15. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I have a couple of TF guides:

The Ultimate Guide, which is more of a storyline/background guide that touches on G1 through Energon...though it does have some nice artwork, IMO, it is certainly not a comprehensive guide on the toys themselves:

http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Ultimate-Guide/dp/0756603145/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-6097952-0162400?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174739176&sr=1-1

The other guide I have is J.E. Alvarez's "Unofficial Guide to Transformers 1980s through 1990s" which is a fairly thorough guide to U.S. released toys during G1, G2, and parts of BW and MW.

http://www.amazon.com/Unofficial-Guide-Transformers-Schiffer-Collectors/dp/0764313649/ref=sr_1_23/002-6097952-0162400?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174739176&sr=1-23

I have seen the Japanese Generations guide in a comic shop, and it is probably much more comprehensive than either of the two I have above. Unfortunately, I have not had the opportunity to look through any of Hiro's Cybertronian books, which, by other's recommendations, appear to be the cat's ass.

16. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    I have J.E. Alvarez's "Unofficial Guide to Transformers 1980s through 1990s" as well as his Japanese Guide.

I also have both volumes of the Transmanual. I'd say they are better for ID'ing parts and such. www.fortmax.net has volume 2 (87-90) under "transformers figures" and he must have run out of Vol 1. :( 

17. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey guys, thanks for the kind words. A LOT of hard work by a number of people went in to the Cybertronians and believe me when I say that it was a labor of love.

I still have a few comp copies left of most of the issues. (except the Index, Field Guide and the BW book) If any body is intrested, PM me as I never ment for the books to be as hard to find as they have become.

Hiro Prime

18. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    The Cybertronian Guides are excellent for identifying all the parts of different TFs. The Generations book is handy as an overview, but it lacks detail and some of the pictures are rather small.

19. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Now I want Cybertronian Guides.

20. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have all the books mentioned so far in the thread, so I'll try to offer some further comparisons:

Generations - I still contend this is the best repository of TF toy photos in print anywhere. The colors just leap off the page, and it's absolutely professional in every way. The down side of course being, it's all in Japanese and there are no pictures of individual accessories & weapons (although every TF pictured is complete with them). Having beautiful pictures of EVERY TF up through G2 - US, Euro, and Japan - in one volume is worth the often high price tag.

Cybertronians - absolutely excellent for providing a detailed look at each character, and the layout is very accessible and engaging... you can almost sit and read them like a novel. The down side is the price, and the difficulty of tracking down all of them. My hope is that Harold has a plan in the works to make these readily available to us again in some form.

Transmanuals - nice because it's in just two volumes, great for reference on weapons and stuff, but only a fraction of the detail contained in the Cybertronian Guides. The pictures are occasionally washed out and show flash reflection.

Alvarez's Unofficial Guide to TFs, Unofficial Guide to Japanese and International TFs, and Beast Wars Transformers Unofficial Guides - great for pictures and information around toy releases and the history of the lines. With the exception of the price guide (which is honestly pretty useless), the info contained within is a great read, although not every toy is pictured. Could have used some editing in the commentary portions, too. Still, I find myself turning to these pretty frequently.

Transformers First Series Complete - I don't recommend this. It's not well organized, and while the pictures look great, most of the toys are not stickered, and many show wear in the pictures. It's also a hodgepodge of information from various lines all thrown together. Also, it's entirely in Japanese.

VERDICT: If you're looking for great reference materials, seek out the Cybertronians or Transmanuals. If you'd like the best possible pictures of the toys we all love, Generations is the way to go.