Best Transformers Arcs

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Dinobot Snarl, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

Just what are the best Transformers Arcs you can think of.

For me:

Transformers Prime:
    S2: Orion Pax

Optimus Prime loses all memory of being a Prime after using the Matrix of Leadership to send Unicron back into stasis. Megatron takes advantage of this and takes "Orion"(Optimus's name before becoming a Prime) on to the Nemesis, convincing him the Decepticons are good and the Autobots are evil (Before becoming a Prime, Optimus and Megatron were close friends).

IDW spotlight: Shockwave

The story rather cleverly finds a way to bring a group of transforming chrome dinosaurs to modern-day Earth, explaining what would otherwise be an aberration in the Cold War cloak-and-dagger world of IDW's G1 continuity.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  2. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Wanna touch things I don't feel

News Credits:
    Inb4 "Code of Hero"

3. Dropkick

Dropkick Worse aim than Misfire.

Google+:
    YouTube:
    The entire "Dark Cybertron" arc.
    I loved how Shockwave actually used to be a good guy, how everything is turning to shit, and how the Autobots and Decepticons actually have to team up to fight Shockwave and his plans for Cybertron. It is amazing, and incredibly well written, and I will never get over how great it was.

MTMTE's "The Dying of the Light" arc comes as a close second for me.

If you can't tell, I love IDW.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    I tend to think of "arcs" as in long term story arcs that transcend episode titles, and differentiate them from multi-part episodes.

Favorite multi-part stories? Definitely The Agenda, Remain In Light, and Elegant Chaos. Darkness Rising as an honorable mention.

Favorite long-term arcs? Definitely Dinobot's final arc during season two, the build-up of the Vok in season one, Megatron's character arc in MTMTE Season 2, the build-up to Overlord's escape in MTMTE season 1, Animated Optimus' journey to be a hero. Also the 2007 DS Create-A-Con learning what it means to be a Decepticon.

5. Niv3k

Niv3k 'Fe Li Na'

News Credits:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Armada Starscream.

• Like Like x 4
  6. AMG

AMG Old School

Megatron's agenda in Beast Wars.

beast wars megatron optimus.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  7. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Five faces of Darkness:

Yes it was badly animated, and yes it was riddled with a ton of inconsistent errors BUT: It does a great job of abridging the 86-05(6) gap that the movie failed to do. It showed the true power of the Decepticon army and the fact that the Autobots were still fumbling (disastrously I might add) with an unable leader, their forces spread too thin and generaly having no clue what to do in their new possition of Galactic police. More over it established the precedent that the TFs were not the most powerfull race in the galaxy, and finally showed the capabilities of Galvatron as a warrior and leader, rather than a Megatron B that it was shown as in the movie.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BattleUpSaber

BattleUpSaber Result.

News Credits:
    ArkCartoon1.jpg

...wait...shit, you meant like a story arc?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
  9. Dropkick

Dropkick Worse aim than Misfire.

Google+:
    YouTube:
  10. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Transformers doesn't tend to be very arc-oriented outside of the comics. Unfortunately, I'm way behind on the modern comics, and my memory of the old Marvel stuff is hazy.

On the TV side, The Agenda wasn't just a multi-part episode. It was the climax of a larger Beast Wars story arc that started with Dinobot noticing the lack of a second moon. All of that was one arc, and it remains one of the best.

I think pretty much every TF series for the past 20 years or so has had a habit of making arcs with a really good setup, but weak or no payoff. People like to harp on Prime specifically for that, but pretty much every series after BW has this issue. That is, unless Marty Isenberg is writing for the series--then the arc sets up great and pays off okay at the end, but is mostly ignored by the episodes in between. I'm honestly not sure which is worse overall. The Isenberg approach makes me feel painfully impatient. The other way is more fun while I'm watching, but leaves me feeling "meh" at the end.

11. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

Guys kind a give a blurb of info to spur interest in your favorite arcs, so that people know why they're good / important

12. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    G1: Key to Vector Sigma
    BW: Agenda
    Comics: War Within (vol1)

13. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee I must be some kind of nut...

This so much. Also the Autobot Megatron arc from IDW, and Dinobot's character arc in Beast Wars Season 2.

• Like Like x 1
  14. herugrim

herugrim Defiler of Energon

Ebay:
    Classic stuff:
    All the dinobot arcs. Call of the Primatives, More than meets the eyes, The Ultimate Doom, Megatron's Master Plan, The Search for Alpha Trion, The Key to Vector Sigma, War Dawn, Starscream's Brigade, The Revenge of Bruticus
    Five faces of Darkness, The Return of Optimus Prime & Rebirth. The original series has aged but the multiparts are definitely the highlights.

Most of Super God Masterforce and Victory.

All of Beast Wars.

Armada:
    The Past (the story of Hot Shot, Wheel Jack, and Side Swipe was all pretty good), The final arc was really good, Starscreams sacrifice, learning about Sideways, Unicron's appearance, one of the few occasions the Autobots and Decepticons join forces.

Energon:
    Megatron's Ressurrection (excellent build up, Megs was badass), Shockblasts story and the rematch with Unicron with three different factions fighting over him, The return of the combiners (and those sexy animated combination sequences), the finale was pretty good.

Cybertron:
    The death of Vector Prime. The Finale.

Prime:
    Darkness Rising, One shall fall, One Shall Rise, Orion Pax, Some parts of Beast Hunters, & Predacons Rising.

The comics don't have much that I actually like. The classic stories had some nice source material to draw on like the rivalry between Primus and Unicron, the story of the original 13, the many Decepticons to usurp Megatron (Shockwave, Galvatron, Thunderwing, Bludgeon, Jhiaxus, etc...). The IDW comics have a lot of great build up but the payoff never makes it for me. The Furman stuff was cut short (not that I'm a big fan of his to start with), Chaos seemed like the follow up but it ended the same way the original movie did, matrix plot hack for the win. Dark Cybertron again had excellent build up but to invest so much in establishing Shockwave as a universe ending threat and to have it end the way it did felt cheap and lazy, like they got to that point and realized that they couldn't figure out how to actually have him lose so they flubbed it. Plan ahead guys. Pretty much everything after that has been all 'meh' for me. Mostly stuff to sell the toys. Doesn't he;p that Optimus is my favorite character and the comics butcher him really bad.

If I had to pick a comic arc it would probably be Last Stand and Sins of the Wreckers. I enjoyed All Hail Megatron for the most part as well.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Loxobot1221

Loxobot1221 Lovin' it

YouTube:
    My favorite arc is MTMTE issues 14-16 (Remembrance Day, Under Cold Blue Stars, and The Gloaming) the "Overlord Saga" as I like to call it. It's filled with emotional and awesome moments from beginning to end. From Overlord's backstory to Pipe's dying moment of awesome to Ratchet's sheer badassery, but the real cake-taker is Rewind's final message.
    Basically, it's a heartbreaking story, but a very well-written one nonetheless.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    The rebirth.
    Galvatron launches a massive attack and finally defeats nearly the entire Autobot army.
    Shipwrecked on an alien planet a small group must evolve in order to return home and save their people. (i love the darwinism in this)
    And triggered by the mutilation of his son Spike brings down his full wrath on the Decepticons and saves earth and rejuvinates Cybertron. Bringing his (and our journey) with the Autobots to a satisfyingish full circle.

17. SparkPlug24

SparkPlug24 Named after the Mini-con, not the Witwicky.

One story that I never get tired of is the two-issue arc of More than Meets the Eye spent on the Delphi Medical Facility. I was a minor fan of the Protectobots because of Dreamwave's War Within, but I ended up a big fan of First Aid after seeing him in action there in MTMTE. Plus the whole medical-thriller plot involving Ratchet and Pharma is always so satisfying to read.

Now that I'm thinking back to Dreamwave, I guess I have to mention that story arc involving Jetfire and Sunstorm, with Bumblebee, Starscream, and Omega Supreme too. It was one of the first TF comics I laid hands on, and even if I didn't have all the issues back then, the lack of context didn't stop me from enjoying the action and intrigue. Plus Jetfire's heroic sacrifice was awe-inspiring to a young reader.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Awesomepow

Awesomepow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    LOL!

Armada Starscream,Beast Hunters,G1 Rebirth,RID Decepticon Island

19. prowl07

prowl07 Well-Known Member

All Hail Megatron.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

The Agenda. I'd seen a few episodes of Beast Wars at the time but wasn't collecting and I didn't like it. I thought Scorponok was an insult to the Marvel version and hated Waspinator having an animal head in robot mode to say nothing of Rattrap's grating voice and Dinobot's corny, badly acted voice.

But I digress, years later when I got back into collecting and picking up anything Transformers related, I came across a UK release of several Beast Wars Episodes starting with The Agenda. I decided to give the Beasties another chance...

I really liked the noble Silverbolt and found it hilarious when he kept apologising to Cheetor as he tried knocking him out.

Megatron seemed cool and sophisticated and I was enjoying it. Then he entered the Ark. His great monologue, the deactivated G1 characters...my mind was being blown.

I was loving it. Then they introduced Ravage. They had his character spot on G1. His cloaked intro as he disarmed the Maximals was very cool. I remember thinking the last time a Transformers animation had blown me away was seeing the 86 movie in the cinema when I was 11.

I think any G1 fan who doubts Beast Wars should be introduced via the Agenda and the following episode which really should have been called Agenda part 4 and was my favourite part. I loved the part near the end where Optimal Optimus returns the Matrix to Optimus Prime.

The music as Prime wakes for a moment before returning to his eons long slumber gets me every time.

I also enjoyed other arcs in Marvel with Thunderwing's Matrix obsession and Scorponok's evolution into a heroic character.

Of course the Galvatron/future Transformers storyline in Marvel UK as well.

• Like Like x 1