Best Transformers: Animated toys?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by BenjaminXavier, Jul 19, 2011.

1. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I missed Animated when it was on the air, but watched the whole thing a few months back on DVD/etc and turns out I liked it. I then picked up a handful of TF: Animated toys on super cheap clearance at Marshalls and TRU and I like them too. I just got a great new job with a decent pay jump, so I decided I want to expand my Animated collection a little bit. I am by no means a completist, so I'll be going for characters I like a lot and maybe some of the more well designed toys.

Here's what I have now:

Snarl
    Shockwave
    Oil Slick
    BumbleBee
    Cybertronian Ironhide

I know I want these, because I like the characters:

Swindle
    Sentinel Prime (The Tick!)
    Grimlock
    Swoop
    Soundwave
    Wreck Gar

I know I DONT like the Starscream mold, I really don't like Lugnut and Blitzwing's toys, and I can't stand Optimus Prime's design at all, so I'll be passing on those. I also don't want Lockdown, as I think the RotF toy is light years better, and the Animated toy just doesn't grab me.

I'm on the fence on Jazz, Prowl, and Ratchet.

So what I'm asking is, Animated fans: which toys in this line really shine, and which ones should I pass on cause the toys totally suck.

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Not news. This should have gone in the toy forum.

You shouldn't pass on Optimus Prime, the voyager is good, and the cybertronian deluxe is one of my favorite deluxe molds ever.

3. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Well, you've already said you don't want the Starscream mold, but the seeker mold from Animated was awesome. Leader Megatron is a nice figure, too. Rodimus got a nice release.

4. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    get rodimus now!

5. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    lol kinda self stating news wrong spot but thats okay ive done it a few times my self a mod will move it for you to the right section there good like that

6. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And, I totally meant to post this in the Toy section, not News. If someone could move it for me, that'd be awesome.

Sorry =(

edit: And, its been moved. Thanks!

7. Stryker055

Stryker055 Josh Boyfriend

The only ones I would say to pass on are the Safeguard Twins. They never really appealed to me as toys.

Other than that, they're all great. Animated is quite possibly the greatest example of Transformers toy engineering and design, as really none of the (mainline) figures have any sort of fatal flaw, like the gimmickry the plagued the Unicron Trilogy or the complexity of the Movie toys.

Prowl is a must-buy. Best motorcycle Transformer yet. Rodimus is also highly recommended, as he is considered to be the pinnacle of the toyline. Jazz and Ratchet are good, but I don't think you need them.

8. Sludge

Sludge Formerly NC Bulkhead

News Credits:
    I have them all and really like all of them. But my favorites are:

Leader Bulkhead (voyager is tiny)
    Leader Megatron
    Waspinator
    Blackarachnia
    Jazz
    Prowl (samurai prowl is even cooler)

Overall it is a great toy line. I really don't think any of them are "bad". They look great in robot and alt modes. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about any particular figure.

9. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    1) One of the best toys in the line.
    2) Pretty decent.
    3) Stumpy legs. Simplistic. C
    4) Simplistic.
    5) So so
    6) Kibbly...but somehow i like it.

10. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

Base on what I have seen on the Animated TF figs, they were really accurate to their in-show appearance. I never bough any of them though (didn't like how they were design in the show).

11. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Aside from some of the stupid repaints that came out, the only unique molds that I skipped were Blackarachnia & Waspinator since I don't think two giant bugformers really fit in with a bunch of military vehicles, and any smaller sized figures of characters who already had larger more in-scale versions. I wish I skipped the Jet twins since they are AWFUL, but I needed them for completion.

Beyond those, I think every Animated design pretty much rules. Favorites being Voyager Prime, Leader Bulkhead, Leader Ultra Magnus, Deluxe Rodimus, Deluxe Jazz, Deluxe Blurr, Deluxe Ironhide and of course Voyager Shockwave.

12. Cyberglyph

Cyberglyph I am the Nightshade

News Credits:
    The Rodimus mold is beast. I think it even looks good in a classics display.
    Other than him, I'd say Swindle, Grimlock, Ironhide, Blurr, and Samurai Prowl.

13. ShyGuy

ShyGuy Bye

I would recommend Leader Megatron, Deluxe Prowl and Deluxe Jazz. They're all great figures and very show-accurate.

14. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    All of them. Except maybe the jet twins - not because they're terrible, but they just aren't quite as awesome as the others. Neat idea, though.

15. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    Blurr is excellent. Best mold that name has ever been put to. I like pretty much every animated mold though. Megatron however, has the best laugh of any transformers toy ever.

16. Prime_Directive

Prime_Directive less than meets the eye

News Credits:
    My thoughts precisely.

17. MasterDeath

MasterDeath Just Insane

It was a decent-ish toy line, apart from the plastic quality not being as good as some other lines.

The only optimus I picked up was the 2 pack one. Great prime fig, the burn marks are lame though... mines gone a little bit floppy now. The megatron that came with it may as well have been a happy meal toy.

The seekers are ok, starecream and thunder cracker are prolly the best... sunstorm seems to have thinner plastic, and bits come off way too easily. Annoying!

Got both bulk heads, they are my favorite out of the lot. Not really sure how they got away with passing off a deluxe size toy for a voyager (such a waste of packaging) and a leader class as an ultra...... but I got them way discounted hehe...

I wanted the blue and white magnus but had to settle for the roadbuster coloured one.... still though bloody good figure.

Voyager megs is ok, interesting cybertron mode, but I always wondered why they need alt modes while on their own planet.. defiantly better than that piece of crap deluxe sized one.

Leader megs is good, but the legs could have been better, and a better place to store the swords in bot mode. I have the black version....

Is voyager optimus worth picking up?

18. Sludge

Sludge Formerly NC Bulkhead

News Credits:
    I think the voyager Optimus mold is the best version of him and way underrated!

19. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    What shines:

Leader Megatron
    Blitzwing
    Shockwave
    Swindle
    Oil Slick

Prowl
    Optimus Prime
    Jetwing Prime