best toy series?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by HyperD00D, May 25, 2009.

1. HyperD00D

HyperD00D Well-Known Member

which transformers toy range is the best in your opinion? Im wanting to splash loads of cash but Im not sure what to go for. I started doing universe but I found alot of them were lackluster in design. Not really that keen on movie stuff either. Any opinions? Greatly appreciated.

2. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

I think the first couple years of g1 are the best, but I don't care much for articulation (plus it being during my childhood probably biases me).

Other than that, I'd say Animated. In fact I find most of the unicron trilogy toys to be massive disappointments with a few exceptions like Vector Prime, Cy Starscream (voyager), and few of the Armada.

I assume you've considered alternators but they're a very specific style with limited molds and a high cost.

3. HyperD00D

HyperD00D Well-Known Member

I saw some terrible alternators. Prime for example. Eurgh

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    G1 (1987-1989).

5. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

Alot of people here would agree to get G1, but you might have to sell your soul to get the whole thing.

6. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

For me, I would have to say Universe is pretty darn good.

7. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I guess if I could only pick one then I'd say Universe since it gets to pull from so many sources and articulation is a big point for me.

But my collection is just a bit of everything. Universe/Classics toys, Cybertron toys, a few had to have it Animated toys even though they don't really fit in the collection, repaints from other lines. About the only current era thing not in the collection are movie toys because they just don't appeal to me.

8. Kup-is-Dion

Kup-is-Dion Lord Cthulhu

Get yourself the Star Wars or Marvel crossovers, they're perfect for the beginner fan like yourself.

9. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

Is that a joke? the starwars transformers are a great way to turn pepole off of transformers.

10. blunghole

blunghole The Tapeworm of Unicron!

News Credits:
    I'm a big fan of Classics/Universe figures. I think they are beautiful representations of G1 characters.

11. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you're looking for well-engineered toys with a great variance in form, I think Cybertron might be your best bet. Great-looking, well-articulated features with a wealth of action features, and tons of distinct alt modes that run the gamut from realistic to Cybertronian to beasts both real and fictional. For sheer variety, I think Cybertron is only matched by G1, but is infinitely easier to collect in its entirety.

12. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

G1, Cybertron and Classics/Universe IMO.

13. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Classics/Universe. Easily the best toyline along with possibly Alternators but Alternators is expensive.

14. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    G1 since you say slplash loads of cash onto it, and the headmasters/masterforce/victory/zone stuff is great, especially molds like liokaiser and overlord start at 84 and work your way up, if you want articulation go for universe,
    note: altrnators opinions should not be based on prime, masterpiece prime is in scale with the alts making him not needed

15. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm huge on G1... but I sort of liked RID, due to the fact that it had toys from all sorts of generations: G1, G2, Beast Wars, Beast Machines, and new sculpts were all available. I've also wanted to get some more obscure guys from the later G1 days.

16. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Best recent line for me was a joint Alternators (BT if you can afford them)/Masterpiece line. Yes, they're expensive but no other transformers have the same wow factor!

HOWEVER - these toys are not really for playing with... But then I'm 34 so "playing" is no longer something I'm interested in.

If you are, then Classics aren't bad updates of G1.

If you are looking for the "best" toy series though regardless of age then NOTHING beats G1, specifically the 84/85 toys.

17. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    alternators, lifelike models, great posability, great size,.......

18. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    yes another topic that invites near endless debate id say G1 but other lines have there own merits as well

19. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Get Classics figures. I understand what you mean about Universe 2.0 figures, though there are great Uni. figures.

Also get G1 figures from '84-'85. Just check old catalogs to see what strikes your fancy.

And take a look at some Alternators/Binaltech figures. I was steering away from them for the last 4-5 years, but that was a mistake. I just recently bought bootleg Alternators Prowl just for kicks. I had some cash to blow and no other interesting figures so I got him. And now I'm waiting for some new Alts to cross Atlantic and get into my dirty clutches.

20. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    which ones are you waiting on. r they from KOTOYS....im waiting on barricade deadend, firedeadend, rally shockblast, police jazz, police shockblast