Best time to sell Botcon 2011 Stunticons set to maximize profit?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Nyarlahotep, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Nyarlahotep

Nyarlahotep Radicon Scourge

Ebay:
    So I know this may be a touchy subject on the forums, but I bought a botcon 2011 box set strictly to re-sell later down the road for profit, as this is how I fund my hobby. I try to never dip into my paycheck and instead opt to buy things in bulk, in anticipation of them being worth more down the road and using the money I make to purchase figures I want for my own collection.

Anyways, when do you think the price of the botcon sets will hit their peak? I have the Box set as well as Fisitron and right now on ebay it looks as if $500-$600 is the amount I could expect if I put it up right now.

I heard a 3rd party company is making a kit that will make the latest kit into a combiner which would obviously increase the price of the kit. Any ideas? Anyone else have a similar system? Tips? Tricks?

Please don't post if you're going to flame me. I realize some people hate this practice, but I really don't have a choice, so if you're going to hate, then hate. Just don't do it here.

2. Rattrap

Rattrap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Id say wait til the kit comes out, get and get that too. Then wait a few months til everything is sold out. Prices will likely skyrocket, and probally get as crazy price wise as the SG Rodimus and Shadow Syther.

3. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    From what I see the sets are worth the most during or right after Botcon. After that they tend to flood the market and prices dip. Then they start to slowly increase in value. Again. The scenario with this set is different because of the rumored 3rd party add on..

4. Nyarlahotep

Ebay:
    Does anyone have a link to that rumored set?

5. dragon516

dragon516 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You got to remember that Iacon sets are shipping so if you are going to get rid of them, get rid of them before Iacon floods the market. Look at TFCC Ramjet. Prices are lowered now and has been not selling on ebay from what I can tell. The potential growth of this new set can be high, but don't know if that is worth your risk. For all I know the set may skyrocket like some have speculated right now due to the rumour of a potential set. No pictures or even description yet if you are looking for a link.

6. Nyarlahotep

Ebay:
    Thanks for the reply. Honestly the main reason I'm interested is because of a year long trip I'll be making soon. I need as much $$$ as I can to keep me abroad! I'll keep my eyes open, but I agree the influx of the Iacon sets may lower the price. Do you know if those sets include the box and the other extras?

7. dragon516

dragon516 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Box set includes everything except for Fisitron and any first day pin that you may have.

8. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
  9. Astroscream

Astroscream News Cred > Street Cred

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The after market item for this set makes this one a little different. If you are sitting on a comfortable profit you could sell now. I have a feeling few of the Iacon sets are going to be sold. As far as buying an aftermarket item to go with it, thats just unnecessary risk. I bought an empty box one time for a loose set and didn't get any more than about what I paid for the box. I have a loose set that I will hold onto. I'm way ahead considering I bought it at cost and feel even without the after market item I can sell later and still come out ahead. Flame ya later........

10. Nyarlahotep

Ebay:
    Hey Astroscream! Didn't expect to see you in here! We should collaborate on this and share some real-time data. I've sold just botcon boxes before and made significant profit, but I have never bought a loose box and sold it with loose figures before.

11. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Based on my research, the absolute best time to sell them is at 4:27pm EST on July 14, 2011...

But seriously....

1. You say that you bought this with the intention of selling them...

2. you are asking us when the optimum time is to sell them so that you can make the most profit.

3. but now you have no choice??

Your choice was to buy them or not to buy them. You chose to buy them with the intention of selling, so that is the choice you made. If you are saying you have no choice because you need the money, then logic is that you should sell them ASAP. If you are able to wait to get the optimal price for them, then it is clear that you have a choice to wait to sell them :confused: 

Not flaming here, just making some observations.

And to answer your question, you really missed your window as the best time to turn these around was during Botcon as that is when most people who missed out are willing to spend the most money to get it. Those who really want it, want it right away and pay for it. Wait for an add-on set and you may get burned.

12. Nyarlahotep

Ebay:
    I meant that I have no choice in that I have to eventually sell them as that's my only method to continue collecting.

It was high when botcon ended, but lately it's been getting higher. Not much, but 10% to 20% is not bad. I figured some members would have a pretty good idea (intuition, if you will) as to when the price might peak, but it's all subjective of course. It keeps going up little by little, but I appreciate your input, and it's definitely something I'll take into consideration.

13. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well then, if you are patient, it's probably best to wait until we get some kind of "official" announcement of this add-on kit. But at this point, it is all hearsay and rumor, so you may get burned by waiting. If and when it gets announced, people will be salivating to get that set. Otherwise, if there is no set produced, it doesn't pay to wait. Set your price and wait for a buyer, you might get lucky.

14. Thalack

Thalack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Best time to sell it is just after the set hits its peak in value but just before it plummets. :p 

15. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    With the Iacon sets coming arriving it'll drop for a while. The add-on set may not come out for a half-year or more so if you need money now you should sell it soon or plan on holding on to it for months.

16. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

This.

As more people get their sets, more people will start to sell them. Thus, the price will drop. Sell now or wait for the availability to dry up some. I would actually wait.

17. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

after the demand skyrockets when some one creates the combining kit that is actually able to be picked up for pretty cheap, like Fansproject and Igear, then it will sell out all over the place...

and then when they are all GONE, and the upgrade kits finally come out...

then, then, THEN a year later...

best profits, :lol