Best techniques for removing pins?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by JoeScibelli, Jul 15, 2017.

1. JoeScibelli

JoeScibelli That one Piranacon fanboy

Alright, I planned on buying an RID2000 Megatron (bludgeon repaint) to repaint as Megastorm, but I think I might need to knock out a few pins. How do you guys recommend doing this (what techiques, what tools/brands, etc)?

2. 8bitboy

8bitboy Well-Known Member

Other people will more than likely propose better techniques than mine but what the heck. I usually rely on the soldering iron method and sometimes the hammering method.

Basically all you require is a soldering iron and patience. The idea is to super heat the pin and push it out of its socket without harming the plastic. Calls for steady hands and depending on the quality of plastic, patience.

The second method I use I don't rely on much because I am awful at not harming the plastic. It requires a hammer, thin nail or tough screwdriver tip and a sturdy surface. The idea here is to use brute force to knock the pin out the other end.

Before going in, always be sure you're attacking said screw at the smooth end and not the chiselled end. It will take FOREVER to go anywhere and in some cases, won't give way at all if you mess with the chiselled end.

For both methods a pair of pliers is a must. Ideally you want to get the pin's head out the other end and pull the rest of it out if possible.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits: