Best tablet under $500 for grandma?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by galvascream, Feb 19, 2011.

1. galvascream

galvascream Apple Junkie

News Credits:
    My grandmother has never owned a computer. She's never had a cell phone, either. She always complains about not having a computer, so I think I'll probably get her some sort of tablet for her birthday. The refurbished iPad is $430, so that's definitely on the lis of possibilities. Any suggestions?

2. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    Most tablets, in my opinion, are going to work best in conjunction with a computer (for updates and such). While I love my iPad, I would have to recommend a net book. One can be had for $300 or so and can easily be accessorized for a total of less than $500.

3. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

If it's for your grandmother, I'd say get here the cheapest one you can that has Android. There are some basic ones for under $200. If you want something better, you can get the Galaxy Tab for $300 if you get a data plan.

4. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The easiest tablet to master would be the iPad. As much as it pains me to say that. Problem is, she'll need access to a PC for first time start up. At least I think she will, I'm assuming it works like an iPod does.

Or a Netbook. But make sure it comes with Windows 7 Starter and not XP. I speak from personal experience when I tell you that the Acer Aspires with XP are awful. Slow as hell.

5. MicroZone21

MicroZone21 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just get the iPad and set it up yourself on your home computer. Load up as many apps/games that you can find that you think she'd be willing/able to use. Be a good grandson and show her how to connect to wifi at McDonalds and your local library. :) 

6. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    iPad. If my mom can master one, your grandma can use it with no problem.