Best Surprise/ Biggest Disappointment

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by geerave, Feb 15, 2007.

1. geerave

geerave Well-Known Member

I can think of a few times i bought a transformer, took it home, opened it and found myself very surprised, or very disappointed.

most recent example: the new Scorponok, from energon, i believe. i was not impressed with the mold or the paint job, and only bought it because i found it really cheap. however when i got home and took it out, i found that it was actually pretty awesome. in fact one the my favorite energon toys.
    on the other hand, i was really excited to get energon slugslinger, and thought it was pretty cool looking, but after getting it home found that i hated it, and even gave it away.

has that every happen to anyone?

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Best surprise would have to be 3" Tit. Predaking. I've never really been a fan of the character or the colors, but once I got him in my hands, he's actually pretty aweswome. Biggest disappointment would have to be Cl. Asstrotrain. I thought he was pretty awesome until I got him out of the packaging and got him in my hands. I still have him though. Mainly to boost the number of Decepticons that I have. I'm trying to keep the ratio of Autobots to Decepticons even, which is prooving to be pretty hard to do. Peace out.

3. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Yes, many times.

A few that come to mind:
    Disappointments:
    - Energon Megatron- just big and bulky. transformation too basic
    - Cybertron Starsceam- see above
    - Beast wars Neo Magmatron- good figure, but still disappointing.
    - Energon Shockblast- Thought it would be my fav, but floppiness really bothers me.
    Surprises
    - Cybertron Randsack- basic but so much fun
    - Cybertron Scattorshot- I love this figure, not sure why.

4. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Geerave,I found both of those in a UK store called TK Maxx that has a section with toys that are reduced because of age. This was in Ipswich. I wanted both Scorpy and Slugslinger but only had enough for one so chose Scorp. Loved it. But then more turned up in my local TK Maxx but I never found Slugslinger again.:cry 
    Damn you.:cry 

5. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

Best surprise: Classics Bumblebee/Cliffjumper. I didn't think much of this mold when I first saw it but absolutely love it now that I have it. Honorable mention goes to Classics Starscream/Skywarp-amazing that a 10.00 toy beats a supposed "masterpiece" that goes for 100.00.

Biggest Disappointment: Alternators Optimus Prime. Perhaps it was because the Alternators bar is set so high with a line filled with great figures. Prime is just terrible in my opinion. First off, the mold should have been used for Ironhide/Trailbreaker. Secondly, the mold has too much kibble and getting it transformed into alt mode is damn near impossible.

Runner up:Masterpiece Starscream. First mold was excellent. Then they let whats his face mess it up.

6. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

I love Cyb Scattershot too!!! And he's on many people's 'shelf stuffer' list (c'mon, the ultra red alert and mudflap were the only 2 true Cyb shelf stuffers around here).

His alt mode is obviously not super spectacular but his bot mode feels more like a GI Joe than a tranformer. His head is great, his colours are superb, and there's even the mini-con team to go with him:

[​IMG]

7. geerave

geerave Well-Known Member

could not agree more!

8. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Huh! Funny, I would rank that among my pleasant surprises. I didn't think much of the mold when I first saw pictures of it, but I'm really a fan of it now. While I agree that it was much better suited to Trailbreaker (and maybe Ironhide), it's bulky and imposing and has a different look from the other Alts.

Other pleasant surprises:

Cybertron Evac: was kind of "meh" about it till I purchased it, now it is one of my favorite Transformers ever.
    Energon Scorponok: as was said above, this is a surprisingly great figure (as long as you just ignore the existence of the jet mode... but a scorpion-shaped bulldozer? Awesome!)
    Bendy Prime: I guess this is a love-it-or-hate-it figure... I was surprised to find I love it.

Disappointments:

Classics Grimlock: the only bad Classics figure in my mind... what a piece of rubbish
    Classics Magnus: I love white Primes (I know, I know) and was pretty excited about this figure... but the sloppy and incomplete paintjob on the head was a downer
    Kiss Rodimus: not awful, but definitely not as cool as expected. And it doesn't look anything like Hot Rod to me. It probably doesn't help that mine came mis-assembled with two left knees.

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Biggest Surprise: Hmmmm I had to think hard about this. Since this site has so many great avenues for pics and feedback of toys, I pretty much know exactly what I'm getting at any time....so I'm going to have to go with RiD X-Brawn and Prowl. I had just barely gotten into collecting and I didn;t realize how amazing they would be until I transformed them and posed them. Still two of my favorite TFs to date.

Biggest Disappointment: Again, for reasons above I think my biggest disappointment has to be Armada Hot Shot. I was so excited to see new TFs on the pegs, and when I opened it up to see it was NOTHING like the RiD Car Brothers I was pissed. Hated it for years...until I made him retarded in my comic strip in the funnies forum, then the little P.O.S. started to grow on me;) 

10. Quantum

Quantum Oh good

Same thing happened to me...took his leg apart and shaved the piece down and now he's perfect! Took about five minutes.

11. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Couldnt agree more.

12. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Biggest surprise:
    Classics Mirage. I wanted it solely because it was an update of the G1 version, which I don't have. It now resides in my all-time top 10.

Biggest disappointment: I don't have many because I usually buy what I like, but it's a tie between Energon Slugslinger and the RiD car brothers. I should have paid attention to the negative reviews more for Slugslinger. I hate the figure. As for the car brothers, I was just excited to have earth style car Transformers again and ate these up when they came out. Aesthetically, they look horrible, IMO. I really don't enjoy the transformations either. As a whole, I'm not a big RiD fan.

13. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Biggest surprises:

NEO MACH KICK. I had seen pictures of him online for years... never was really that impressed by him. Then i saw the Fluffy Potato photo shhot and he looked better... certainly good enough to buy him. (Got him in the vs. pack with Archadis fairly cheap.) As soon as i opened the box I fell in love! He is now my all-time favourite figure.

Classics Mirage. I just bought him because he was a cheap update of my first Transformer. Turns out he kicks very much ass and is now mong my favourites.

Biggest disapointments:

Alt Prime. Not a bad toy per se, but certainly doesn't live up to the legacy of great Prime figures. Kiss Convoy at least improves on th lame colour scheme...

14. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Certainly one of my biggest surprises was the original Energon version of that Scorponok mold. I bought it because it was Scorponok. I actually thought it looked a little gangly and just not quite right in either mode until I had him and started fiddling with him. Then, lo and behold, he ends up being absolutely fantastic. If only someone had taken some really killer pictures of him back when he was first released I would have known and bought him right away instead of waiting for the clearance sales.

I can't think of the last toy I bought that I was surprised in a bad way. Sometimes I pick up toys I don't expect much from and they deliver exactly what I expected, but it's rare I get a toy that I really think is going to be awesome and it blows chunks. Energon Jetfire maybe? Would have been far, FAR worse if he couldn't "Powerlink" with others. As pants he was alright. As a robot? Not so much.

15. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    disappointments:
    Energon Wing Saber
    Energon Grimlock and Swoop

surprises:
    Energon Sharkticon

16. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

Disappointment: Energon Slugslinger. I really just did not like this toy.

Surprises: Classics Grimlock, Classics Bumblebee/Cliffjumper, Cyb. Brimstone.

17. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    I'll limit myself to this year's new releases.

Biggest surprise are definitely Classic TFs. They all rock and are great updated versions of favorites from the 80's.

Biggest dissapointment: The new Minicons in Classic-style packaging. I loved minicons during the Armada/Energon era and I was really happy to learn that we'd get new molds. However, wave 1 of the new Mini-cons all suck! Alt modes are great, but most robot modes made me cringe. Ugh. What a waste of $20!

18. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Biggest disappointment...Cybertron Demolisher...very light/cheap feel with too many hollow parts and a rough transformation...

Best surprise...Classics Grimlock...didn't think i would like the dino head becoming the feet...turns out it doesn't bother me much at all...transformation is very unique in a good way...love the colors with the dark wash...the non-functional latches do not bother me either...he is still pretty solid without them...Grimmie is a must have...

19. NotoriousBIC

NotoriousBIC Prime Suspect

Biggest surprise:
    Ramble - Got the Coby Ramble with the Sonic Convoy Giftset and I love the little bugger

Biggest disappointment:
    Treadshot - Wasn't expecting much and it still managed to be worse!

20. kaijubot-uk

kaijubot-uk Keep Running

Biggest surprise: Energon Tidal Wave. Picked up the japanese release from my local Forbidden Planet after two years of it shelfwarming (and a friend reducing the price when I mentioned the shelfwarming). Didn't realise how big the robot mode is until I assembled it the first time, nor just how much fun it can be in all modes. And was really surprised by how possable it is compared to the other big Armada figures.

Biggest Dissapointment: Don't really have one. I think that I've liked pretty much every transformer I've bought.