best spotlight issue

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by nukedproducts, Jan 29, 2012.

1. nukedproducts

nukedproducts Built-in Tears!

for you, what was the best spotlight issue?

2. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    The one that really springs to my mind right now is Spotlight : Optimus. It really had a lot of things that I liked reading about in TF Comics. The issue had some world building, giving us background on the previous Primes, combiner technology, and revelations that not all Autobots are the good and noble beings we assume them to be. In addition, we got some nice fight scenes, featuring Monstructor, Omega Supreme and Prime, with fantastic art by Don Figueroa :) 

3. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Spotlight: Kup is my favorite. It's stylized, well-characterized, and left me wanting even more Nick Roche writing/art.

Aside from that? There's not really any Spotlights that I dislike, per-say. In terms of my other favorites, Spotlight: Ramjet was tons of fun, Spotlight: Hardhead made me care about a character I'd never really given a second thought to, and Spotlight: Wheelie made the titular character bearable.

4. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    My fav is Jazz. I Tracks' retelling of the story with the Predacons.

5. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Kup!

6. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

My favorites were Wheelie, Kup, Blurr. All 3 stood on their own and had great stories. I really liked the art in Metroplex too.

7. IaconStargazer

IaconStargazer Maximal

I admittingly haven't read every Spotlight issue, but I'd say my favorite is Kup's. The clashing art styles, the rich character moments, the story giving off great drama, tragedy, and creepiness - I think it's basically the best in Nick Roche's solo writing and lineart skill (Last Stand of the Wreckers was of course done as a great team-up between Nick, James Roberts and Guido Guidi).

8. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    I think Kup is pretty perfectly done. My copy has all the dialogue missing from a page and I never knew it was a printing error until I flipped through the trade paperback at Barnes & Noble and noticed that there were captions all over the page. The captions in the corrected edition told the exact story I interpreted from the drawings on my copy. That's great visual storytelling. Not once did I think there was anything wrong with my issue. Just figured it was a sort of montage of a day in Kup's life on the crystal planet.

I'm also very fond of Spotlight: Wheelie. True, it is another take on the "left alone in uncharted territory" story, but I enjoyed it and for me, that is the definitive Wheelie, much like G1 Optimus is the Optimus for a lot of fans. The splash page depicting a tired but determined Wheelie trekking through the desert is really striking and stands out as one of my favorite panels/pages in all of the G1 IDW run. It has a Lawrence of Arabia feel to it where you get the sense that the desert just goes on and on and Wheelie is...well and truly alone :wink: .

9. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Kup and Shockwave's.

Worst was Mirage's for being completely unconnected to the continuity, being a poor confusing story that tells nothing about the character. He is an Autobot who dreams of being a Decepticon who dreams of being an Autobot.

10. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

Kup had a strong story but not a happy ending. Shockwave was great but it's not one of my favorites. The Shockwave comic was great but it switched protagonists from Shockwave to Grimlock.

Optimus' spotlight was great and it even got a 3D comic. I also like Spotlight Drift because he confronts his old boss in the Decepticon faction in that one. I also give it extra points because I think Drift is a super awesome samurai race car.

11. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Really enjoyed Kup, Soundwave and Prowl.

12. PredaconElder

PredaconElder Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Optimus and Arcee for the art.

13. Airspeed

Airspeed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Kup, Blurr, Drift and Hot Rod are the ones that come straight to mind for me.

14. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

Blurr, Kup, and Drift are my favorite spotlights. All three have good stories, beautiful art, and feel like a satisfying read for 22 pages.

Agreed. Maybe it would have been better if that aspect of him had been touched on in one of the main storylines, but IIRC it wasn't, aside from Ironhide assuming he was the traitor in AHM. His spotlight is a bizarre "what if" story that doesn't really go anywhere.

That's really cool! Now I want to go back and re-read that issue and try to ignore ALL the speech balloons to see if the story still works as a completely silent issue. I have a feeling that it will, because Nick's art and storytelling are that good!

15. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, all the ones that have been said. Kup, Blurr, Shockwave/Grimlock. I kinda like the Cliffjumper one too, for a one-off.

16. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    Shockwave and Kup.

17. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Spotlight Kup and Wheelie are my two favorites that immediately sprang to mind.

18. bumbleb0t

bumbleb0t (o´ω`o)ノ i mainly lurk

Oh, good question! I find it hard to choose between Kup, Wheelie and Cliffjumper... ;v;

19. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I forgot about the CJ one. That was pretty sweet too.

20. megatronski

megatronski Primaris

News Credits:
    Spotlight Cliffjumper or Spotlight Shockwave. Spotlight Cliffjumper was sad as hell :'(