Best Soul of Chokogins.

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by BigRC83, Oct 12, 2008.

1. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    I really want to purchase a Soul of Chokogin figure. Can anybody recommend their top favs? Thanx.

2. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Depends on what you're looking for. There's a lot of variation in the SOC line, from big toys to little ones, combining and transfoming figures to stand alone ones, affordable to ... less so.

My own personal breakdown of the best:

Big SOCs
    - Gunbuster: Without a doubt my absolute favorite. I love it so much I have two of them.
    - Ideon: Big, heavy, and red. Clever transformations of the individual ships, loads of accessories, you get a lot for your money.
    - Baikanfu: Four figures in one box, essentially. You can combine them or display them separately, all of them are well designed and stable. More "toylike" than some other SOCs.

Small SOCs
    - Walker Machine Xabungle: Some people give him shit for being small and fiddly, but he's really cleverly designed and a lot of fun to just mess around with. Comes with more accessories than you can shake a stick at, and even an additional robot in model kit form. Pretty cheap and easy to find.
    - Walker Machine Galliar: Some of the best ratchet joints in a toy ever, a lot of fun in a small package. If you dig the 80's-tastic design, I can't recommend him and Xabungle enough.
    - Gold Lightan: He's a heavy, small, die-cast brick, in the most literal of senses. It's the kind of toy that you can't believe exists. A robot plated in actual gold? Really?

Those are my own personal picks from the ones I have experience with; Overall it's pretty hard to go wrong with the SOC line, because there's a ton of variety and it's almost all quality. The trick is to find something that catches your eye; not everyone likes diecast brickformers like gold lightan ;) .

The best thing I can recommend is to look through what's available out there, and if you find something that you'd like more info on, ask here and people will probably be able to give you some good insight: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/toyark/149217-soc-becoming-my-favorite-toyline.html

3. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't have too many, but I can echo QuinJester as to how awesome GunBuster is. If you loved the OVA, it's a must have. If you love transforming robots, its still an awesome display piece.

4. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

The only SoC I own is Eva Unit 01, and it's a pretty damn good figure. Alot of diecast so it's nice and heavy and tons of accessories. I also just picked up Xabungle on Ebay, should be in some time this week. You may want to start with that since there are alot of sellers on there in the US getting rid of the figure pretty cheap (I paid $40 + $6 shipping, there were several more for only a bit more).

5. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

QuinJester's got the best opinion about this stuff. Listen to him! I have Ideon and have been tempted to sell him to fund a Gunbuster.

6. Optimus Heckster

Optimus Heckster Well-Known Member

I only have one figure and it is Gunbuster. He is just amazing. Fun to transform. Looks great in both modes. He's great!

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I've only got Gaiking and Baikanfu. Awesome pieces. Simply amazing.

8. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My current favorite is Daimos. He's big, heavy, well made,fun to transform, comes with an absolutely insane number of weapons and a big rack to display them all on.

There are a lot of ties after that because I love all of the SOC figures almost equally for different reasons. QJ is right-on with everything he said.

All three Xabungle SOCs are fantastic to different degrees. Walker Machine is a little bundle of clicky joints and articulation, Xabungle is a bit fiddly and small but that doesn't mean he's not fun. Iron Gear is a gigantic chunk of a toy that is fun to pose and transform and is one of the only SOCs that has the 'base' factor where you can pose tons of tiny robots all over him to man his turrets and occupy his various hatches.

Leopaldon (the Spider Man bot) is an often overlooked gem in the line. He's extremely solid and very, very toy-like. Probably the closest to his GoDaiKin (diecast robot toys from the 80's) ancestors of all the SOC toys. He also comes with a big sofubi (soft vinyl) spider man figure and a cool little die cast car.

Those are the more complicated and transforming toys that I have from the SOC line. If you are more interested in the basic super-robot figures in the line like Mazinger, Tetsujin, etc. you can't really go wrong. What you see is mostly what you get with them. If you like what they look like in pictures, just imagine holding a poseable, heavy, shiney, cold metal version of it in your hands and you've got the general idea.

One thing about the SOC line, you can hardly go wrong with any of it. :) 

9. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    I think, pound for inch, Iron Gear is probably the best buy for a big SOC, as it's easily $40+ cheaper than most of the larger combiner SOCs but probably the second or third biggest overall, and eats an enormous amount of real estate in landship mode. I didn't recommend it right away, even though I really think it's a quality piece, because it's decidedly old school, and requires a certain amount of appreciation for large playset figures, because that's really what it is.

While some of the other SOCs are mostly display pieces, Iron Gear is 100% toy, and a pretty good bargain for the build quality and size. He's probably even more enjoyable if you build and paint all the little robots that come with him, but even so, he's got plenty of potential for fun.

[​IMG]