Best Sonic the Hedgehog Game Thus Far

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by UltraMagnus3786, Feb 11, 2010.

?

What is the ultimate core Sonic the Hedgehog game?

1. Sonic the Hedgehog 2

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  2. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Knuckles

18 vote(s)
    54.5%
  3. Sonic Rush

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. Sonic Adventure 2

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Sonic Unleashed for Wii/PS2

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

Two games of Sonic 2's caliber did exist-- it's called Knuckles in Sonic 2. You can't tell me that can't be considered two separate games. When Sonic 4 comes out in multiple episodes, each of which the gamer has to pay for, will you say those should each be considered different games? I think if you say yes to both of those, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I see Sonic 3 and Knux as two parts of the same game, just split onto different cartridges. It was meant to be played as one. Think of it as a two-part episode-- you wouldn't judge the merits of The Return of Optimus Prime Part I without finishing it, because seeing the whole picture (both parts) is how it was intended to be viewed.

But like I said, it's just a difference of opinion.

If playing that masterpiece is wrong, then I don't wanna be right.

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Masterpiece? Smh.

3. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sonic 3 and Knuckles a masterpiece?

I don't think there is a big enough lol smiley out there.

4. UltraMagnus3786

=)

relatively speaking of course, in the sonic universe. i'll stand by THAT.

5. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I dont think we will have payed $100-$120 bucks once all the epeisodes of Sonic 4 are out. And the only thing combining Sonic 2 with Sonic and Knuckles does is let you play as Knuckles in Sonic 2, it doesn't double the levels or anything like when combined with Sonic 3. Your argument just isn't valid. Though I do think Sonic 3 combined with Knuckles is a great combo, but it's still not one game.

6. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

I'd stand by that was where the decline began. Then again it really depends what you want out of a Sonic game.

7. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's Scriptor

News Credits:
    Sonic Rush. I would say sonic unleashed for xbox but it's not there. Love the day time stages.

8. UltraMagnus3786

Are you defining games by how much you spend on them? By your logic if a game has multiple DLC at $10 a pop with new levels etc and an expanded story, they should be considered different games. That's the conclusion drawn from your premises, but I think we'd all consider them ONE game. Price is irrelevant.

By bringing up Sonic 2 I'm showing you're using your own limited definitions of "game." Although Sonic 2 and Knux doesn't add any levels, the gameplay and "story" are vastly different, giving you a gaming experience not found in either cartridge alone. It's something that's not distinctly Sonic 2 or Sonic and Kuckles. I'm not sure how you'd classify it though, seeing as how in the end the gamer spent money paying for both cartridges.

With Sonic 3 and Kuckles, things are more complicated since some gameplay overlaps and some is new. However, I maintain that the experience you get with the lock-on is different enough that it warrants being called a different 'game' and not just its individual parts. The experiences you have with either game do not equal the full game experience the developers originally intended.

Think of it this way, with Sonic and Kuckles and either Sonic 2 or 3, you're getting three games for the price of two.

9. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Drat, outsmarted by a Lorry, I am disgraced

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is the best sonic game of all time, of all time. Better gfx, An additional character to play as all characters have individual abilities everyone can go super those who can go hyper get existing abilities augmented. S3 & K is well worth getting the all clear on all 3 character paths even if you had already beaten s3 and s&k separately with all characters. S2 doesn't have as many levels, boss fights or any incentive to beat it more than once. If it had the save feature and replayability I might put it on the same level as s3 alone but without that I won't.

10. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Sonic 2 is one game, sonic 3 and knuckles is two combined, that's how I define it. Sonic 2 with Knuckles adds the ability to play as knuckles, and theres no real story to speak of, he can climb walls and thats the biggest difference. But if Sonic 2 and Knuckles were on the list, i would still say that shouldn't count as its two games combined against stand alone titles.

11. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Drat, outsmarted by a Lorry, I am disgraced

I would count Kunckles in S2 as just s2 more or less. S3 & K on the other hand should count as one complete game just as a game plus DLC still counts as one game.

12. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Dowloadable content becomes a new game when its enough content of a standard game, and also costs the same as the standard game. For instance, Halo ODST was going to be an expansion for Halo 3, but since it had enough content to be on its own and they wanted to charge full price, it became its own game. I am not going to say they're one happy big game even if they have the same mulitplayer content. Also, if you were a game reviewer, you would review a game based on what you get when you purchase it, not with any additional expansions you pay more for afterwards.

And let's face it, for the most part, when Sonic 3 and Knuckles are combined, the core gameply pretty much remains playing through sonic 3's levels then playing through Sonic and Knuckles levels. It has other bells and whistles but thats the core adventure.

Oh, and please dont get me wrong. I see your point and the OP's points. I just still stand by saying that pitting two games combined against one single game is not entirely fair.