Customs: Best solution to use to create/fix parts?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by project9, Jul 28, 2008.

1. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

In trying to mod the roof on Classics Prowl and running into a problem. The sun-roof part just sits in there and the lightbar has the post that screws into the mount on the body. So it's the lightbar that holds the entire top of the car on. You can kinda see it on my pic here: http://www.tfw2005.com/radicons-customs/attachment.php?do=fullview&attachmentid=10707

Now, I've tried to:

1) take the lightbar out and use epoxy putty (Mighty Putty, technically) to build a new post. It worked well but on trying to drill a small hole for the screw, it split apart.
    2) cut and take the post from the lightbar, file it down and use both Plastic Welder (Devcon brand?) and Mighty Putty to cement it to the sun-roof. Now, either one worked but it doesn't hold that well and comes off with enough wear/movement.

Any suggestions on the best method to go here? Should I just use the epoxy putty and cement it to the screw/mount and try that? Like, forget ever taking the top off ever again? Or is there a better material or method I should use here?

Thanks for the help!

2. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    If you want it to come off and on, maybe a set of small rare earth magnets could help. There are tiny ones available that have lots of pull. Here is a resource= www.gaussboys.com Good luck!!:thumbs2: