Best Shelves for Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Rogzilla, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My wife and I just bought our first house and we're going to be moving into it officially on February 12! Exciting, I know!

For a while now, I've been displaying my Transformers and other figures in our family room on the Ikea Lack bookcases and shelves that make up our entertainment center. Although my wife insists that she is OK with this, I think I'll be moving them into my office/studio when we move for a few reasons.

Now, I need to figure out a good, new shelving system as the Lack Shelves are going to be staying in the family room. I want something that is long and preferably modular. I'm thinking maybe those wall mounting shelves that sit on the tall, verticle brackets but I'm not sure how good those will look. Obviously, I want to stay pretty economic with these are the moment.

Any ideas? What has worked for you in the past?

NOTE: If it helps/matters, my collection is typically divided as:
    -Movie Autobots
    -Movie Decepticons
    -Smaller scale movie characters (ie-BB Prime, Deluxe Ironhide)
    -HA and Masterpeice
    -Animated (Although really only four figures)
    -CHUG (Pretty small collection too, mostly WFC and Drift but I'm gonna get some of the later Generations/RTS figures as well).
    -Prime (when they come out)
    -Other figures

2. katch26

katch26 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
  3. Rogzilla

News Credits:
  4. katch26

katch26 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    oh right on... I was looking at the expedit from ikea....similar to what you got but wider. I like the idea of being able to add drawers to the bottom for holding accessories.

just to be clear you're looking for a piece of furniture that wider overall or has wider sections?, otherwise I'm probably going to keep offering similarly sized suggestions. :) 

5. Rogzilla

News Credits:
    Oooooo! Not what I had in mind for figures but I just kind of like those in general! I can already think of a dozen things to do with them! *makes a note to show them to his wife later*

6. Tracer

Tracer _

News Credits:
    Congrats on the new house :) 

7. aey103

aey103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To be honest, I have no complaints so far with the cheap $20-$25 book shelves that you can get at any Wal-Mart or Target. I have three black ones down in the mancave and they look pretty good down there (even though only Animated occupies them right now and various Star Wars stuff on top). One other suggestion is that you set them up as soon as you can or when ever you have any free time. I bought my house last Memorial Day weekend and as I said earlier only Animated is displayed. Picture hanging, painting, minor fixes add up and before you know it your Transformers are suffocating in a plastic bin for 6 months.

8. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a black Billy bookcase case with the double glass door add-ons, a periodical shelf at the bottom for a few comics and DIODER set to light the whole thing up, although it's currently not plugged in. Sorry, no pictures of my actual setup at the moment.

Billy - IKEA | Bookcases | BILLY system | BILLY | Bookcase
    DIODER - IKEA | Integrated lighting | Bookcase integrated lighting | DIODER | Lighting strip

Shelf height is adjustable and they're deep enough to hold two to three rows of deluxe-sized bots. It does need to be mounted to a wall, especially if you get the glass doors.

9. Rogzilla

News Credits:
    Man, I know this is such a yuppy-ish thing to say, but I love Ikea! That's a bit more than I'm thinking of spending right now...but it's tempting, especially with the lights. I think if we get an Ikea giftcard as a housewarming present, I'll probably be all over that!

Haha! Mancave! I love it!

That's not a bad idea though. We're picking up a couple new bookcases at Target this weekend so I'll take a good look at them. Thanks!

And yeah, in the time between now and when we move, I'm going to try and get as much things done there as possible. Getting my figures set up will be a big one. MOST of them are already packed (converted to vehicle mode to make them as compact as possible) so as soon as I have a solution, I'll set start setting them up.

And thanks! We can't wait to move in but our lease doesn't end until February 28th! So, like I said, we're using the time to set up the house with anything new we're getting and taking our time packing. Hopefully, we'll be able to be done on the 12th!

Thanks for all your advice guys! If anyone has any more ideas, please keep them coming!

10. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  11. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I got this book shelf at Ikea for about $60-$70. I can't remember what it's called, but it's pretty long (4-5 ft) and has 4 shelves. You can really get a lot on there. I'm also a big fan of floating shelves (no brackets or tracks all over the wall).. I got a bunch of different sizes at Target for a decent price.

[​IMG]

..that's in my "office."

12. aey103

aey103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Something isn't quite symetrical about your shelves...I think it needs a 2011 World Champion Phillies hat!

13. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I just use those six foot tall bookcases that you can get at Target.I've got ten of them,and they look pretty sweet when you get them all lined up and full of TF's.

14. devilution

devilution Well-Known Member

i moved into my house in may, and i put up three vertical shelf brackets. they run pretty much floor to ceiling, and i have five shelves, each 8' long. for the shelves, i just used select pine, 8" deep. so i got 8" x 40' of shelf space, and the whole thing cost maybe $150, between the pine shelves (5), the brackets (3), and the supports (15). i also painted the shelves black to match the brackets with some black paint i had leftover.

i actually use these shelves for DVDs, but everyone that has come to the house LOVES them.

it's going to be a little more expensive for deeper shelves, if you want to go that route... but getting 40' of space for less than $200 is the way to go.

as for transformers, they're in the basement. down there, i have a 10' x 24' space with three sides lined with 18" deep shelves, all painted black. still in the process of finishing it up, but it's going to be incredible. :D 

15. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This wide enough?

[​IMG]

16. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

My fingers are crossed, buddy!

Very nice. I'm also a big fan of the gaudy gold garland (zero sarcasm).

17. aey103

aey103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yours and mine both (And toes crossed for a Flyers Stanley Cup)!

18. XxGeck0xX

XxGeck0xX デストロン 情報

News Credits:
    Wow which shelf is that?

19. Rogzilla

News Credits:
    I'm a big fan of floating shelves too. When I can afford to, I think I'll spend a pretty penny and do ALL my shelving like that, including media and books.

And I like that shelving unit. I'll definitely have to explore Ikea soon (right now, we are nearly down the street from Ika but will be much further away after we move).

I'm liking the sound of both of those. I'll have to figure out how much it'll cost for me, as the $150 is a bit more than I think we can afford at the moment, but maybe it won't cost me that much.

Oh WOW! That's great! It MIGHT not be big enough for the Decepticons (they tend to take up larger footprints in vehicle mode) but that looks so cool! I love they way you have them organized too, with the little cards and what not!