Best run of Authority

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by wheeljack01, Apr 9, 2006.

1. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

I like planetary probably more than anybody on earth and I know that the authority (atleast the early stuff) has some similar themes/ties to planetary, so I have been wanting to pick up some issues. Is the new stuff good? I am sure I will love the Ellis/hitch stuff but afterthat I have my doubts. It would of been cool if Ellis/Hitch did all of authority like Ellis/Cassaday does Planetary. I know Hitch had other projects and probably would have fallen behind and Ellis already has his hands full with planetary and loads of other books, so I see why it never happened. Thanks for the info.

2. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

I thought the first 20 issues of Authority were gold, definitely on my top five list when it comes to runs of comics. Personally I felt like the series improved when Millar and Quitely took over, however when they left Authority really went to hell.

3. JoshBot

JoshBot Well-Known Member

The stuff that Ellis & Hitch did is brilliant. It was such a creative, fresh take on things. The Millar/Quitely run isn't quite as heady, but it's still a blast. Though I haven't read it, Ed Brubaker's run is quite probably worth reading, too, as Ed Brubaker freakin' pwns.

4. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

The Millar/ Quitely stuff is right up there with Ellis/Hitch if you ask me. They went a different direction, taking looks at Superhero as Celebrity. However, fuck DC for cancelling it, and then brining it back as a lame, watered down version of it's former self. All because it portrayed the "big 2" as gay. Wankers.

5. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I remember the wedding. I still remember Grunge's expression when they kissed. XD

6. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

So stick with the orginal series only? Cool Thanks.

7. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

Yes, which is a bummer, as Millar and Quitely never got to finish their last story arc, in which the entire team is apparently dead, or destroyed, or incapacitated in someway.

The Authority kicked off again with a new artist, and Millar got to finish his run, wrapping up the arc that was left in limbo. The Authority returned again, horribly watered down, and flopped. End of Story (I believe).

You should also consider looking into Warren Ellis' reboot of "Stormwatch" if you haven't already. It basically sets up The Authority, and introduces the likes of Jenny Sparks, the Doctor, and the Midnighter and Apollo team, telling their origins, and how they became lovers. The final Stormwatch story arc is also the first appearance of the Authority, as they rise out of the ashes of the dead team before them.

8. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

I'd recommend the Ellis/Hitch stuff, and at least Millar/Quitely's first arc (for some reason I didn't really like the other arcs afterward).

I also liked Garth Ennis' Kev series, so those could be worth a look, too.

9. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Haven't read Authority.

I was a huge fan of Stormwatch. I think I started my 6 year exile from comics around issue 38 or so (1995-96ish). I heard Authority was kinda a "continuation" of the Stormwatch thing. Any truth to that? I may grab it if it is.

10. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

Well, sorta. Basically, Stormwatch kinda meandered a lot, then Warren Ellis took over with a new direction starting with #37, and introduced new characters Jenny Sparks and Jack Hawksmoor, who would later play a role in The Authority. One of the important stories in Ellis' run was "Change Or Die," which set up some themes that Ellis would use later on and in AUTHORITY. Vol. 1 of Stormwatch ended with #50 and was relaunced, but it only lasted for a little while (with some characters getting killed off in the WILDC.A.T.S./ALIENS crossover).

By the end, the series was much different than it was when it first started, and set the stage for the formation of THE AUTHORITY.

AUTHORITY by Warren Ellis and Bryan Hitch was more like a big blockbuster movie--in each of the three arcs, the premise is: major threat to Earth arrives, Authority comes in and deals with the threat permanantly.

The Mark Millar/Frank Quitely run was much more over-the-top and had its political overtones (in fact, I think this is the book where Millar started regularly doing the writing style that he's known for on ULTIMATE X-MEN, ULTIMATES, etc).