Customs: Best repaint

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by CyberShadow, Feb 3, 2009.

1. CyberShadow

CyberShadow Wheeljacks Lab

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Hi. I am looking for suggestions on the best figures to repaint. I wanted something that would be relatively easy to grab the paints and get started with minimal other effort, and I thought that you guys would be able to give me some excellent advice.

My preferences...

I am currently into the Classics/Universe line right now, but open to any line as long as it is currently available (although I am not a big fan of the animated line).

I am looking for a cool alt/robot mode which lends itself to a number of possible repaints, so I can grab a couple and have some fun and try different colours (we could even have a 'show and tell' at the end of Feb to see the different interpretations of it). In general, car alt modes are better than space ship alt modes because of the nice flat surfaces, and so on.

I prefer Deluxe sized figures, but Scout and Voyager class figure are both fine too.

The figure should have minimal rubbing. As a beginner, the potential issue of paint rubbing off scares me.

So, can you recommend a few figures?

2. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Get a few battle bumpers. LOL I keed I keed, really though get something you like, only way you will actually want to do the repaint and do a good job on it. My opinion though would be the new hound or cyclonus as I really like the molds but if you don't like them well any mold is a good start IMO.

3. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The best mold to recolor is the Sunstreaker mold because of the interchangeable parts.

4. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    can't go wrong with the seeker mold, the Acid Storm one is currently in circulation...

5. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And you know the Starscream one.

6. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    There are so many issue with rubbing joints on the seeker molds, I'd stay far away from it if possible.

If you're looking to tune up your detail and technique, I'd run with a movie figure. There's minimal rubbing issues on most of them, and tons of details you can take a stab at.

7. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

i agree with FR & tony especially on cyclonus he has very few rub issues and you can paint around most of them.well all except the nightstick minicon.

8. CyberShadow

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Many thanks guys. That was what I was looking for. Sunstreaker/Sideswipe is one that I had considered, due to their sweet alt modes. Cyclonus is a very interesting idea, since I am not a fan of him in general, but I have heard only good things about the design and a repaint might make me appreciate him a whole lot more. Hound is one that I had not thought of, and is doubly great as I would end up with an extra Ravage, which is an excellent bonus, but I do wonder about paint rubbing on him. How is it?

The movie range I had not thought of. I have a couple, but seem to have picked the weaker figures - Overcast, Bonecrusher, Swindle (and Bumblebee, but he has already come out officially in yellow, black and red! :rolleyes: ). Any recommendations from the Movie line that would make good candidates?

Thanks again.

9. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I havent painted a Sunstreaker/Sideswipe yet but am preparing to and I would still go with Hound or Cyclonus. Hound has some pegs that fit in on the doors that should be trimmed so they don't rub but all else on the guy has minimal rubbing. For movie ones, if you want some good metallic drybrushing practice I would say go for it but the actual car bodies hardly need paint to look good.

10. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    paint rub shouldn't scare anyone. Simply play with the toy. Look for places that are tight, or literally rub whenever you pose the sucker, or during transformation, and make not of them. When you paint a figure, you're literally adding to the thickness of the various parts you paint. With this in mind, use a really high-grit sandpaper and sand the areas you have noted to have rub potential, making them thinner so that when you add the paint to them, they won't be thicker than they are unpainted in their original state.

11. CyberShadow

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I can do that! Its a tough job... but I think I am up to it! :thumbs2: 

Cyclonus and Hound really interest me so now I just need to find some cheap ones to play with. Sunstreaker/Sideswipe are very cool... but it seems that there are a load of repaints of these guys already... Thanks guys, I appreciate your help. I am already imagining an army of repainted Cyclonus...es (?).

As for movie, if I could find a cheaper Leader Prime, I would love to take a brush to that guy. I am not so worried about practising metallic drybrushing, more just getting started. I have a Classics Bumblebee looking for a repaint, too.

Thanks.

12. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

If you're going for a movie figure how about a Protoform Starscream? Nice figure, and very little scraping kibble.

13. CyberShadow

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I have to admit that I am not a fan of the protoform figures... mainly because I cant quite work out what they are supposed to be, aside from a meteor. Landmine may be a good Movie candidate, Crankcase would be a favourite of mine but he has some 'rubbing issues' I think.