Best recent TF dub?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ILoveDinobot, Mar 1, 2009.

?

Best Dub?

1. RID

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Armada

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. Energon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Cybertron

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  1. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    By recent I mean in the last 10 years or so.

So which dub was the best? Best being subjective, maybe the VA was good, maybe the story was good, or maybe you thought one was most accurate to the original.

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    You missed out the option for "They've all been utterly horrible". ;) 

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Yeah, they've all sucked.

4. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Oops! :lol . Well maybe I should have asked which one sucked the least?

5. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    All three mad eyou want to tear your fucking eyeballs and ears off.

6. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I haven't seen RID or Energon yet, and I've only seen half of both Armada and Cybertron. So I can't tell which one's the best... if any of their dub is good, that is.

7. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

All 4 stunk, but the least bad was Armada. I could stand that for more than 5 seconds.

8. DieMaus

DieMaus is blawesome

News Credits:
    I've got to step in here and be upfront about this: I like the RiD dub, and genuinely think that it isn't horrible. No, it isn't as good as any of the shows with a "native" soundtrack, but it's nevertheless entirely serviceable; the translation, though occasionally a little stiff, actually feels like it's making a genuine attempt to achieve a flow to the dialogue, as opposed to simply trying to robotically cram the literal meaning of every line into allocated windows of animation time (hello, Unicron Trilogy). The result is a script that actually gives the actors something to work with, to develop a bit of organic personality to the voices, to actually act. Sure, it's not the height of the voice-acting craft - dubs never are, and never could be - and there are a fair amount of slightly flat or uninteresting performances, but for me Neil Kaplan's Optimus Prime, Sandy Fox's T-AI, Bob Joles' X-Brawn and especially Peter Spellos's Sky-Byte more than did their characters justice, and were in a league far above anything that came in the subsequent three dubs.

Don't write RiD off, people; it was a very underrated franchise in all its incarnations, and I'll continue to fight its corner for as long as this injustice continues. ;) 

9. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Am I the only one who loves the Unicron Trilogy unconditionally?

I love Cybertron the best, simply because it got me back into collecting, and loving TFs. I liked Armada, lost interest, then, I was bored at a friend's house, and remembered that Transformers was on at the time we were in his den area. I decided he'd like it, and turned it on. Then I got a Cybertron Prime for Christmas, and I was a total collector from then on.

So, Cybertron will always have a special place in my heart. :) 

10. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    Cybertron held its own pretty good, along with RID. The other two, not so much.

11. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Finally voted. I decided to go with Cybertron. It's the only one of the Unicron Trilogy that I really care much about.

12. honcho

honcho It's been a while.

Ebay:
    They're all bad, but I loved RID despite of its shortcomings. It's bad in that cheesy-good way, and the toys were awesome.

13. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Cybertron or RID. I really do enjoy the Dobson Brothers. Cybertron despite the weird accents had more consitancy overall than Armada and Energon. But I voted for RID mainly for how it didn't try to be so literally in its translation and succeeded with characters like the wonderful Skybite the VA on him really made it his own. And I liked Kaplan as Op.

14. saberconvoy

saberconvoy Well-Known Member

Thats a hard question since they all were pretty bad.

I say

Rid
    Cybertron
    Armada
    Energon

but its kind a really hard question to answer

15. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Yeah, I think you're right. Skybite alone saves RID's dub. I hated Kaplan though. such a dry, emotionless voice.

16. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's definitely a duke-out between RiD and Cybertron. I definitely prefer the cast of RiD, but at the same time, the actors for Cybertron were actually trying to give their character distinctive voices this time out, after consistently failing to do so in Armada and Energon. Both shows take just the right amount of liberties with the original material, doing away with a lot of the silly "Burning Justice" moments and trying to make them make sense, and squeezing in a bunch of fan-friendly references... Cybertron did more of the former, but RiD was definitely king of the latter. Y'know, I'm hard pushed to choose... I think if you put a gun to my head, I would go with Cybertron, since it feels a bit more "consistent" from ep to ep - you'd often get the sense with RiD that the writers of each individual episode weren't communicating that well, when dialogue from flashbacks wouldn't match the episode the originally appeared in, or references to previous episodes came off a bit skewed. Yeah, yeah, Cybertron, by a nose.