Best Real-Time Cinematics ever.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    On the topic of best ending I thought, what are some of the best real-time Cinematics ever.

A) Must be Real-time
    B) Relativity is virtue. Just because a game is current generation doesn't mean that normal mapping make a cinematic the best. Camera usage and pacing go a long way.

I would say on top is Mass Effect. I know it's a new game, but mannerisms and timing are everything in the way this game's story is told, and most importantly of all, the cinematics are geared towards your decisions.

But outside of the current gen where Uncharted definitely falls too (Are those realtime? or are they prerendered using the game's engine?)

I have to go with Jak and Daxter (or the Jak series in general), not only is the animation silky smooth and the expression and pacing right up there with a good Disney movie, but the writing, especially in the second and third game are excellent. I have a DVD Sony sent me with the three games told in a movie format with Dexter narrating. And it's very enjoyable to watch.

And my honorable mention goes to Final Fantasy Tactics.. (not the PSP cinematics). The usage of sprites to Hug and Kneel, and slaps and back-stabs and express themselves without relying on hi-end CG were awesome.

edit: Oh, and I can't forget about two others.... Comix Zone and Flashback on Genesis.

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Double Dragon! Fecking EPIC!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  3. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    1. Mass Effect -despite the texture draw in on some scenes the plot advancement, pacing, and voice work were top notch.

2. Assassin's Creed -no texture draw in but the plot advancement, pacing, and voice work were top notch.

3. Vandal Hearts -the whole game just oozes atmosphere.

4. Gears of War -say what you will about Gears, but if you say it doesn't have great cut scenes you are fooling yourself.

5. Dead Rising - Not the best in terms of graphics, but there is not a single prerendered scene in the entire game. Plus, with the various replays being a given you get the added fun of putting Frank in the most redicilous outfits prior to a cut scene.

6. Ninja Gaiden (original Xbox) -Holy Crap -just Holy Crap! Oh yeah, and Rachael.

7. Resident Evil: Code Veronica. The BEST Resident Evil this side of 4. How this game did not push more Dreamcasts I will never know. (This one might be disqualified because the opening and ending are CG, but the story driving scenes are real time.)

4. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

lulz gears "lookit all dat joooooooooooooose!"

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The scene in Gears where that Spider Monsters comes out of the ground while Marcus and crew are running for the ship was amazing. I have always thought that a lot of developers use Normal Mapping just to say they used it and show that "next gen look". (ie. normal mapping the hell outta someone's face when aside from Edward Jame's Olmos, no one has that many bumps) but Gears uses Normal Mapping correctly and it adds to the atmosphere that the game creates.

6. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    LOL -I don't know how many times I heard that on multiplayer.
    Also, everyone would get pissed at me when I would pick up a Boomer's gun and go "BOOM!" as I shot it.

Quote of the day!

Back on the thread topic:

I got nuthin.

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    HAHAHAHAA, you added "Frecking Epic!!!"

That moment, when you find out you have to fight your friend to get the girl..... That should have translated to that awesome movie.

8. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm gonna jump on the Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed bandwagon. Both excellent. Also Gears of War. I would like to add Mario Galaxy to the mix- there aren't that many but it's extrememly crisp.

Ahh, but the best ever has to go to FF6! The opera scene, Phantom Train, the ending, the intro- everything done in of course real time since the SNES wasn't pumping out FMV. Too bad a lot of people think FF7 brought the FF series into the cinematic world, because it was by far FF6.

9. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned Heavenly Sword.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well while we're on the topic of Heavenly and Uncharted.... I have a mystery to be solved. Heavenly and Uncharted would be on my top, but I still don't know if those are real-time or not. The video compression is bloody near perfect because I don't see any compression to signify that it is rendered (even if it uses the game's engine, it is still rendered), but I think in Uncharted and Heavenly there are one or two instances where the camera pulls right out of a scene and into the action, so I want to say that those are real time, but I just don't know.

Anyone know about this?

Quoted for the MF Truth! If they remade 6 for the DS the way they did 3 and now 4, Daaaaamn! Though with MUCH MUCH love for the DS, I'd rather see this on PSP just for that added sharpness to the 3D. 6 is still my favorite FF, and I am currently replaying it too.

11. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    well, some people have said they noticed a framerate drop during some of Heavenly Swords sequences. I don't see how playing video directly from the disc could cause framerate drops.

12. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:

I'm pretty sure they are going to make some sort of remake. All I can say is that I would like it to be on the best platform possible and give it the respect it deserves.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I'm not dissing the DS and I plan on getting 4 on it. I just want to see six in all its glory.

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Nobody has mentioned Half Life 2 and episode 1 and 2?

What the hell.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You did... just now :D 

16. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    liar. :p 

17. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

Ninja Gaiden (NES) probably the first game to use cinematic presentation.

Megaman Legneds: When FMV was all the rage this game did amazing things with just the in game models and game engine with large animated textures over low polycount models.

Chrono Trigger: Best game ever? Probably.

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember the minigame where you had to make Chrono Dance. And the hearing in court for all the crimes Chrono committed in the fair. Classic 16-nit storytelling.

19. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Yeah, I loved the way they did the mouths.

20. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

But there are very, very few points where Gordon is out of the player's control. Or does cinematic apply to any sort of scene that's played out regardless of whether the player can move about?

I'll nominate Crysis (yes my PC can actually play it well :tongue: ).