Best ram for your buck?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Shipwreck, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

I just got a new lap top and i was thinking a$bout upgrading the ram in it with some kingston ram but alot of my friends have told me that they crap out after a year and really aren't worth it. So i'm asking you guys out there what ram out there is worth the money

2. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

I've heard nothing but good things about Kingston. In fact, it's one of the highest rated brands on NewEgg.

Mushkin and Corsair also rate high.

Not a big fan of PNY due to the price.

If you don't mind sharing, what's that lappy got runnin' under the hood? :D 

3. Shipwreck

Its an Acer Aspire 5315 with a 160 gig hd and 1 gig of ram for $390 it maxes out at 2 gigs so I'm looking to get two 1 gig sticks and since i spent little on it i'm trying to keep it that way and get as much out of it as I can. Since it runs vista I figure I must as well max out the ram asap

4. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

$390.00? Duuuuude. Nice. That's a terrific price, especially for a laptop.

I'm a little shocked that it maxes out only at 2 though...most of today's laptops go to four, which means you have to pay more due to the strips being a bigger memory size. You might want to check into seeing if there's a bios update for the motherboard that would unlock 4 gig capability. (though I wouldn't do that right away.)

Oh, and I do recommend that you get the 2 asap. Vista will run on 1 gig, but it's slow. I have 2 in this beast and even then...it had a few moments where it was having trouble getting through the processes. Once I downgraded to XP, the speed picked up and no crashes.

I do hope you enjoy your laptop, they're great for what they can do, and those positives outweigh the negatives.

Is this the model you have? http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8221530 If so, you got a great deal on it. (Well, overall, it's a great deal, but beating a Wal-Mart clearance price? RAWK.)

5. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

just be careful putting in new ram. I put 2 more gigs into my desktop last night and now it won't even turn on. No power, nothing.

6. Shipwreck

where can you see if there are any bios updates for it?

7. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

That's because you put in the wrong type of RAM. Put the original sticks back in, make sure the notch on the strip is in the right place for the socket, and then just push it down until it locks. Just like a SNES/Genesis cartridge. If it doesn't operate after that, then you've damaged the motherboard and might have to utilize the warranty. BTW...wrong RAM shouldn't stop it from powering up. It might not load everything, but it should at least power on if nothing else. Try putting the original RAM back in and see if it works, if not, then yeah....I'd say the board is damaged.

I'd have to know the exact specific model of the computer itself so I could look up which board model and manufacturer it is. But off the top of my head, I'd say this link: Acer Pan-America Support should help you find exactly what you're looking for. If that doesn't, then the model number will help find out the mobo info.

8. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    You shouldn't be able to install a wrong stick of memory, he might have exceeded what his mobo will take. If you half seeded a stick of memory it should arch and catch on fire and if this happens you shouldn't be allowed to touch the inside of a computer. First look up the model of your mobo and see that max amount of ram it can take before you go shoving things into it.

9. Mastergeorge

Mastergeorge I should burn my wallet.

News Credits:
    Crucial. I've had problems with Corsair and Kingston. Every (Handbuilt) computer in my house has Crucial memory in it. And I've only had one problem. With it. And I got a replacement for free. Here is one that is cheap: Click here!

10. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

I did check the RAM and it was the right type of RAM for my motherboard. Somehow my power supply decided to die between me powering off/unplugging it installing the ram and plugging it back in. Had my technician friend look at it today and he slapped a spare power supply in and it powered up with no more problems. Now if only that power supply would have fit in my case, now I have to pick up a new one.