best progressive metal band

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eyeballkid, Mar 31, 2007.

1. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

Well a lot of Floyd songs have been in odd time signatures, but I agree that Gilmour was the most talented musically out of the group, however they have been largely classified as progressive in general which is why I listed them however they can fit into a number of genres, although I do agree as far as active bands, Rush is still very much at the forefront, glad to meet a fellow fan of similar type bands. I do agree though that as far as active Progressive METAL bands, DT is certainly up there among the best.

2. chocula78

chocula78 Satellite Systems Engr TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Opeth. Not just a great prog metal band, but a great band. Their style is very unique and I love how much disonance they bring into their music.

I can't believe I'm the first one to mention them either.

3. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

News Credits:
    how did this thread get to arguing over pink floyd? Pink floyd is not to be compared with ANY other kind of music...they are pink floyd for christs sake! they were awesome just as much as the beatles and led zepplin...drop it

4. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    I was thinking the same thing. I used to be very turned off to death metal growls. Michael Akerfeldt has amazing range, going from demonic sounding to amazing clear vocals with good range. I've seen Opeth twice, when they were promoting their new album Ghost Reveries. Awesome shows.

I've seen Dream Theater three times, and I will be buying the uber special platinum tickets to their next show. That will be a treat. Front row seats, backstage passes, meet and greet with the band afterwards, pictures and autographs freely given.

Another sweet metal band is Symphony X. Musically similar to Dream Theater, but their guitarist usually uses tunes his guitar a whole step down, so they have a "heavy" sound. A little cheesy at times, but I love it. They made an adaptation of Homer's Odyssey, a 24 minute epic. Actually some of you guys may have already heard some Symphony X without realizing it, they contributed a few songs to Castlevania Symphony of the Night (The Requiem of Gods, The Tragic Prince).

5. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    actually, i kinda think smashing pumpkins are prog.

-.-'

6. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nobody's arguing. You may not have noticed, but everyone talking about Floyd has mentioned it is one of their favorite bands. They are quite difficult to categorize when it comes to style, and it's interesting to see how people perceive them.

7. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

Agreed, Floyd ranges so many styles from psychadelia, jazz, fusion, progressive, even heavy metal on a few songs, they have no one specific style unless you count awesome.

8. Tfgraveyard

Tfgraveyard Not a Fan of the Fans

News Credits:
    Except for me. I can't stand PF. :p 

9. Hook

Hook The real Constructicon leader Veteran

News Credits:
    Dude, I absolutely love Symphony X! Saw them a couple of years ago in Montreal. You're right, they do have that Dream Theater kinda downtuned vibe, but with a medieval twist to it. The fact that they worked on SOTN music tracks only makes them even more awesome!!

10. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

News Credits:
    I totally agree !melon collie=white album kinda...

11. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

News Credits:
    people that think that TON is not progressive can kiss my anus...its like saying tool aint progressive...only difference is humor...plus a college degree....