Best Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by monosierra, Jun 12, 2007.

1. monosierra

monosierra Well-Known Member

1) I saw the Voyager Prime toy at a shop in Singapore today. It looked crude and Prime was horribly stubby and clumsy.

Has any toy company made a Prime who's as tall and sleek as he looks in the film? Even the Takara toy, detailed as it is, has an oversized chest and stubby legs (the wheels made the legs look thick and stubby).

2) Is there a series of toys that're all scaled the same? Blackout is always shrunken!

2. Futureruleroftheuniverse

Futureruleroftheuniverse Well-Known Member

U KIDDING ME MAN!?!?!?!
    Masterpiece Prime ftw! That's the TAKARA version, without all of those safety issues Hasbro unfortunately had to face.

3. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    That's not what he asked.

I'm going to guess: no. Thanks to Industrial Light & Magic's completely impossible to exist in the real world designs, you're never going to see a completely movie-faithful Prime that can transform too.

Sorry.

4. Futureruleroftheuniverse

Futureruleroftheuniverse Well-Known Member

oh, my bad.

5. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    No harm, no foul. :wink: 

6. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I beg to differ. It IS possible. Sure, not in the whole "thousands of parts" way, but it is possible to get him to look very close and have the same basic transformation. They'd only need to combine certain aspects of both Voyager and Leader, and they're for 85% there.

It'd probably has to be a Masterpiece, Supreme or Ultimate figure, though.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    1) I'd say, go with Leader Prime. I know, you're probobly saying: "but he's not sleek or accurate", well he is. Especialy when you get around to posing. His legs are awesome, with ball-jointed ankles. His arms are great too, especialy the shoulder panels, they complete the look. The torso is porportioned just like the movie and even has the truck windshield as the chest.

2) No. Though it is possible to create a relativly in scale line between factions.

Well, Leader Prime is as close as you get. And I'd like to point out the ''completely impossible to exist in the real world designs'' look like they can exist just fine in the real world, just not in toys.

8. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    if you are in singapore, thats not possible. the voyager is not out yet, you must be seeing the FAB version.

9. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Errr....it is possible somewhat, my brother who works in Singapore visited Clarke Quay said that he saw some shops stocking the Robo Vision Voyager Prime there. Priced at SGD59.90. How come a Target exclusive managed to find it's way to toy shops in Singapore? I don't know. He's getting me one anyway.

10. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    That obsession for scale in a toy line is killing me. :) 

What "all safety issues"? The only difference is the lenght of the smokestacks, that's it.

11. unclemarsellus

unclemarsellus Imaginaut

Leader Prime is definitely the best for a Transforming movie Prime. I do like the non-transforming action figure that will be released later though, which will be extremely accurate as far as the robot goes.

I don't think it's completely impossible to make a 95% accurate toy (I'd say Leader Prime is more in the 70 to 75% range) but it would take the creative engineering of a Masterpiece version. I hope it happens one day. The movie line is tailor made for Masterpieces one day.

12. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

In most lines I can understand that not being an issue, but in this one where all the bots have a real comparable scale but the toys don't even come close to following it *cough*bonecrusherandblackout*cough* it starts to become a bit annoying. I love the movie line, already have most of the mainline figs, but some bots *cough*bonecrusherandblackout*cough* deserve bigger figures based on their in movie size alone.

Edit: As for leader Prime's accuracey to his movie design, it is far from 75%. With two *completely* different transformation schemes, where as most other bots have a much similar design to their movie selves, Leader Prime has little in common with movie prime overall. The basic overview looks the same but other then that, he's not accurate at all. However this doesn't make him a bad toy in anyway shape or form, it just means Hastak left themselves plenty of wiggle room to make a more accurate movie prime toy.

13. unclemarsellus

unclemarsellus Imaginaut

Completely agree and those are the two examples, particularly Blackout, that annoy me. Though Transformers has always had wonky scale issues and it usually didn't bother me because of it. I just kept Galvatron and Metroplex completely seperate so I didn't have to come up with some story about Galvatron being city-sized or something. ;)  But since the movie toys are based on "reality," scale is bugging me with them. There NEEDS to be a Leader class Blackout some day.

14. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Toys are mostly aimed at kids and kids don't care for scale.

15. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

And I'm sure kids wouldn't have minded too much if Blackout and Bonecrusher had bigger toys to go along with their big presence on screen. :thumb 

Now I'm not talking Alt style, universal scale, everything-at-the-same-ratio stuff. I only mean it would have been far more cooler had they made the "Biggest Decepticon" taller then a tall deluxe and made Bonecrusher, who is a total badass, bigger then, oh I dunno, Swindle at least.

As is, the vast majority of 'scale' problems could be solved by adding three toys. Voyager Brawl, Voyager Bonecrusher, Leader Blackout.

edit: But this is off topic anyway so I'll leave this discussion at the wayside.

16. unclemarsellus

unclemarsellus Imaginaut

We are getting a Leader Brawl though....

17. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    leader prime bugs me because he's stocky and short. his wheels aren't in the right location on his legs either. I'm sure he'd have been much more accurate if they didnt bother with the automorph feature in his body.

voyager prime bugs me because despite (for his size) looking taller, with long legs, arms, and a chest that looks exactly like the movie version (unless you have the robo vision version), doesnt transform anything like the movie version.

the ONLY prime whose legs look right is the FAB, and thats kind of sad.

if you want an action figure of the actual movie prime and not something that only gets about 50% there at best (leader prime), you're best off going with the robot replica figure that'll be out soon.

18. unclemarsellus

unclemarsellus Imaginaut

Actually, after looking at more pics fo the CG model for the movie, it looks like the wheels are in the right places, they're just huge and not styled like it will look on screen. But location, at least, is right.

I think Hasbro did as good a job as they could considering they had to keep the price in the $40 range and make something fun for kids, while being satisfying enough for us.

19. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the CG model's wheels don't hang from his butt though.

The wheels are also a good indicator that his proportions are screwed up. They could not possibly fit on the upper leg of the leader class figure, there's not enough room. but there is on the CG model (and the voyager figure as well)

20. unclemarsellus

unclemarsellus Imaginaut

No, but they're still in the right place.