Best Places to hunt

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by chocula78, Jul 5, 2006.

1. chocula78

chocula78 Satellite Systems Engr TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    So I am new to this whole hunting thing. I only recently become one the many nerds roaming this site after finding out the movie was coming.

Where do you guys recommend shopping? I find Kmart too pricy, Walmart the cheapest and all other stores just plain out of whatever I'm looking for. I am in the Lehigh Valley/Philly area.

Please recommend some places I can check out for a good selection and low prices.

2. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wal-Mart and Targets seem to be the best bet usually.

Though with the latest releases TRU seems to have stepped it up a notch and not only got out the Primus's with Unicron heads first, but also the 3 inch Titaniums.

I think the general rule of thumb though is to just hit anything around you...use all resources available to you.

I have a bunch of different Targets, Wal-Marts, and TRU's around me, and the results can vary drastically from store to store.

3. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    If you're in the Philly area, check out the following sites:

Toys "R" Us - Franklin Mills Mall
    Wal-Mart - Franklin Mills
    Toys "R" Us - Oxford Valley Mall Area
    Target - Oxford Vallery Mall Area
    Target - Roosevelt Blvd.
    Target - Neshaminy Mall Area

Those are the stores I find just about everything new.

4. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    they are all the same price, except that kaybee raises prices by $5 and Times Square raises prices by 50ยข

5. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    KB and Kmarts have never proven useful to me. I don't ever go in one unless there's a sighting there, and I've never heard of one. Target, Walmart, and TRU are the places to hit. It really varies as to what stores get stuff sooner, you have to be kinda random. Or go every day if you're nuts like that.

6. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    K-Marts NEVER in my experience have anything useful except for their exclusives.

Walmarts and Targets are the gold mines.

Toys R Us is good at times. especially for things you can't find at WM and Target like LOCs and other toys lines.

7. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Not southeastern Ohio, I can tell you that...

:dunce 

8. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

It varies. Different stores tend to get different things in first. I find it to be a crapshoot whether Target, Toys R Us, or Walmart will get something first. But there are always exceptions. Way back in 2002, K-mart of all places was the first place in my town to get Armada figures. Plus it can even vary within the same company. Target and Walmart in particular can be VERY inconsistent...you'll find great Targets that are consistently restocked with new product regularly, and you'll find horrible Targets that have empty shelves and don't restock for months. Likewise with Walmart. So, it's hard to really give a good answer for a question like this.

9. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Forests.

Actually, the praises people have been singing about online toy-ordering are true. If you get absolutely tired of hunting for something, it's always convenient to just get it off of Ebay, Bill's Toys & Games, Big Bad Toy Store, etc.

10. ohiobot

ohiobot Member

St Clairsville Ohio area isn't much better. Though our Toys R Us has been on the ball with new releases.

11. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Wal*Marts, Targets, and occasionally TRU.

12. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I recommend NOT going 65 miles east to anyone in Philly. There is nothing by way of new tfs here. If you do come for non-tf shopping at the outlets, bring me a cheese steak.

13. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    St. C has a TRU? Hmm...I should've explored more the few times I visited friends there in college. If you happen to know any Kurtz's...me too.

As for me, it's not where, it's when. Wal Marts late at night just after they've unloaded their truck. Then you poke through all their boxes, trying to find the ones that say 'Transformers Alternators' on them, get the box, and open it. Don't worry, the WM employees LOVE IT when customers do this. Especially if you set other stuff from the pallet on whatever shelf happens to be nearby :) 

-Tony!

14. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Welcome aboard.

15. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If you have discount stores like Big Lots, Tuesday Morning (what I have here in Alabama) sometimes they have older stuff that didn't sell elsewhere. At a local Tuesday morning I got several G1 reissues for around $8.00 each and was the only place I could find Energon Blackout when I decided I wanted one.

16. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I second that, with the exception that Big Lots has never really delivered for me except when I need cheap TFs to give as gifts to my nephews. They regularly carry knockoff TFs as well which are mostly only useful to kitbashers. But no matter how many different BL locations I visit, the store is always disorganized and messy

Tuesday Morning, however, can be a real treasure trove if you're there at the right time. Got reissue Rodimus Prime there for $8 and a few other reissues as well for dirt cheap. There were reports last year on the GA Transfans group that Dark Unicron was found there for only $15. And I thought getting mine for $25 from KB Toys was a steal.

I would also recommend asking checking the phone directory for thrift and antique stores in your area, and ask locals as well--ask the right person, and you could find some great little shops. These type places are favorite haunts of mine, mainly for the thrill of the hunt and I've had some big payoffs too.

And here's just a sample list of TFs I've found at thrift/Goodwill type stores:
    - Energon Prowl
    - various TF fast food toys
    - Energon Landquake
    - Armada Starscream
    - Go-Bots Hauler-Bot (freakin' HUGE kids TF)
    - G1 Galvatron

Best of all--only one of these cost me more than $1 each.

My wife found Energon Unicron at an antique store last month for something like $15 and gave it to me as a bonus anniversary gift. The month before that, we found a 1984 Transformers Electronic Pinball game in great shape for only $2 at a little out-of-the-way charity thift shop in Helen, GA.

And just today, I was at an antiques & collectibles store in the area and found a couple of those fun kids TFs from the Playkool/Hasbro Big Adventures/Go-Bots line. One of my younger nephews loves them, and one of the two looked different from any others I've already given him: an orange-blue tigerbot that looked like a repaint/remold of the previous GoBotty version of Cheetor. I figured it was $2 well-spent and would make my nephew happy.

And then I get home and look it up... and HOLY FRAK, it's a Japanese version called Tigatron:
    http://tfu.info/2003/Gobots/Tigertron/tigertron.htm

I have no idea if it's worth more than I paid for it, but just the feeling of finding a Japanese Go-Bot TF for $2 really made my day.

Flea Markets have also been a gold mine for G1/G2 stuff--my most recent haul was G2 Slag, G1 Ramjet, G1 Hoist, G1 Cosmos, G1 Drag Strip and some assorted TF parts all in the same $5 bag. Same goes for local yard/garage sales--found a G1 Jazz and Prowl at one of those.

17. ohiobot

ohiobot Member

Thanks!

18. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    welcome man..

19. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

RT7:

For some reason, K-Mart was the only place around here that stocked the second wave of Energon combiner limbs. The same K-Mart is more up-to-date with Minicon versus packs than the nearby Walmart.

K-Mart's use of merchandise as a dust-collector can also be useful when you are trying to find something from 5 waves ago, or the last line, that you put off getting for too long. Drugstores are also good for this. Anybody want to buy a RiD Prowl 2 Spychanger for $5.99 ? I saw him at CVS :) 

20. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

VR:

Man, it's been too long since our local BigLots restocked their cheesy knockoffs...curse the summer dry spell. I can't wait to see what they order next. I'm hoping for some knockoff Valkyries, or perhaps Bruticus.

Speaking of weird discount store finds, I found Energon Built To Rule sets locally at Ollie's. I bought Ironhide and Prime, the second to send to TFDoc of the Allspark...BTR Ironhide was better than the Armada sets, but he's still not great...