Customs: Best paint to use?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by IronhideTF, Jan 7, 2008.

1. IronhideTF

IronhideTF Give Stare Over There.-->

What would be the best type of paint to use for Transformers?
    I want to start basing some. Thanks!

2. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

3. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    LOL this is thread # 2 zillion LOL

Um really there is no best, but if you are just starting out I would recommend that you go with a acrylic type paint. They are usually non-toxin, low to no fumes and are washable to a point. You can start out by going to a local hobby shop and seeing what brand they carry as I could tell you a certain brand but if your local shops don't have it then well, whats the point. Most stores have a selection of Testors Model Masters and Tamiya both are great and look great on TFs. There are some other brands that are just as good if not better and they are more for minatures: some names are Games Workshop paints, Reaper Master Line(I use :) ), and Vallejo Game Colors. All are good paints by different makers, I would if you have the money and the time, buy a light color and a metallic color from a couple of brands that you can easily get and try them out on some cheap toys (dollar store knock offs) you will be able to see the consistency, amount of coats for full coverage, graininess, smoothness and all that stuff. By doing this you will be able to make a fair decision on what you think and looks best.

4. IronhideTF

I usually go to Wal-Mart but I don't know if they carry those. I've been wanting to get Tamiya but I don't know if its any good. I'm sort of low on money so I can only buy one brand. ty Tony.

5. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Well be sure not to buy Wally Marts brand that Kustom Kolors is Krap. I used a lot of Tamiya on my first two and it is really good stuff go with that and you should not be disappointed, might be hard to get though.

6. SonRay

SonRay Banned

Acrylics are only good for beginners. They are easy to work with, non toxic and easy to clean up so theres no mess, but the results arent that great, dont last very long and they chip VERY easily, especially on toys like transformers with all those moving parts.

Start out with some acrylics but as soon as you can move on to Enamels. They are stronger, give a better finish, their colors are more vibrant and they arent so prone to chipping as soon as a light breeze passes by. The only draw back to enamels is the drying time and they can get messy but this is a worthy price to pay for a quality paint job IMO.

If you really want to be brave and explore other kinds of paints, i suggest going to an auto store and picking up some cans of automotive paint in a spray can, that stuff is really tough and perfect for transformers, but they require a higher level of skill to get the best results from them as you need to be careful not to spray it on too thick otherwise you will get runs or clog up the joints of your toy. Also when working with spray paint or an airbrush its best to take the toy apart or mask it up to avoid overspray onto sections you dont want painting.

But thats all more advanced stuff so i suggest practicing with some acrylics for a little bit, then move onto enamels and go from there.

Have fun!

7. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    :crazy: 

LOL @ SonRay. I so wanna argue but for both are sakes I wont . So I will address IronhideTF instead :wink:  While SonRay speaks the truth about acrylics being for beginners, he is really wrong(again) about them being only for beginners. Don't take my word for it, look around this and other sites you will see acrylics are the majority choice not only cause they are easier to use but because well they are easier to use, and that is the point even with my knowledge and I know other customizers that are way better than me, feel the same way. Why use something that is harder to wield because it give a slightly better strength when you can have more fun and do it faster with something else(and cheaper BTW)? There are plenty of ways to make good transformers take my advice and run with what is easiest to use for you, you will worry less about working with the paint and more about the figure itself.

8. SonRay

SonRay Banned

Dude..i wasn't trying to start an argument, and i dont appreciate having you telling me that i am "wrong" when i know for a fact im right. There was no need for that, and theres no need to step over my advice again in the future. Basically saying "nah Sonray is wrong (again huzzah lmaozzz rolfcoptor)" and then saying "stick with my advice" is what causes these arguments around here...

But i need to ask as what you said pretty much bewildered me: Is laziness an excuse for work that could have been GREAT, but instead is only ok because people aren't willing to put in a little extra effort and go beyond the mediocre, boring, bland and conventional methods of using water based paints? Is this the kind of example you should be setting for newcomers? Shouldn't we be welcoming innovation and passion and desire for hard work to create great works of art instead of just saying "meh, its not worth the hassle, use this instead. Its not quite as good but it'll do, no one will care"?

I can honestly say i am appalled with your attitude if that is indeed what you are trying to imply.

9. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Here we go again...

Anyways, I use Krylon Fusion. Bonds to plastic, and doesn't chip after a week. I love it.

10. SonRay

SonRay Banned

No, not this time. I'll just report things to the mods if someone over steps me again as its things like that which start the arguments. Im just the one defending myself and sharing my displeasure at being wronfully told im "wrong" like any person would. If other people would stop competeting with one another and just treated other peoples advice with some respect for once instead of telling them that they are "wrong" or that their advice is "his is shite and mines better so follow my advice instead" this shite wouldn't happen.

11. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Same here. Works great, looks great, and is pretty damn durable. I usualy use testors for detailing or drybrushing but that's due to availablity.

Take what you can from the advise that's been said and try a little experimentation of your own.

12. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Same here. I used those two for everything. One as the basecoat and the other for masking. They go on top of each other very well (That doesn't sound right...)

13. SonRay

SonRay Banned

I wish they sold testors and krylon over here, id like to try them.

14. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:

That's what's I use as well,
    Krylon is great for those that have what I like to call " Shakey Hand Syndrome".
    I suffer from it myself. :lol 

15. Ptitvite

Ptitvite Construction worker

All my paints come from WallyMart and I have no acrylics(or very little).
    So take a look at what you can get at Walmart. You'll find a multitude of colors
    or if you want acrylics there are still some inventory left in some Walmarts

16. Ptitvite

Ptitvite Construction worker

BTW, I have to tell you that Krylon is no better than the WalMart home brand Colour Place. :poke 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. IronhideTF

lol, Thanks for the info but whats the best for using with a brush and what is best for
    dry brushing? I used Testors before but I didn't like them too much. I've heard good things about Tamiya though. and What is the main color used for dry brushing?

18. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Anyone else get a chuckle out of the bathtub picture in the middle of Ptitvite's "painter's paradise"?

(so that's all it takes to be a great kitbasher/painter like you) ;) 

19. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    lol yeah, to bad it's edited lol

20. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    i thin he needs to kitbash off that edit over the pic...

#1 color for drybrushing? I'd guess mithril silver or silver metallic...