Customs: Best paint to use for repainting Classics

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by adamthered, Jun 25, 2008.

1. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    Hi all,

I am a complete newbie with repainting figures. I am going to repaint Classics Ramjet into Thrust and Dirge.

I was wondering if I can just paint right over the current factory paint jobs or do I need to prepare them first? If I need to prepare them, what do I do?

Also what paints are the best to use? Testors? Citadel? Some brand I don't know about?

Thanks for any and all information.

Adam

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Other than maybe priming the figures, all you have to do is take them apart, wash the parts, and sand down any parts that'll be rubbing against each other when back together (joints for example). As for paints, I personally don't think there is any one "best" type. I personally use mostly Testors paints, but I also use Krylon, as it has some colors Testors doesn't. Basically use what you're comfortable with using, and what you can get ahold of easily. Good luck with the painting :thumb 

3. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Krylon fusions seem to take the cake as far as "the best plastic paint" out there. after a week curing and proper prep. paint won't scratch off.

I use krylon fusions usually though an airbrush lately, mixing custom colors, etc. bottled paint, I use testor's model master enamels. enamel sprays, enamel bottled. i recommend sticking to one type of paint.

4. grayfox

grayfox Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I highly recommend paints like Citadel. Also make sure you have good paint brushes. If you're using Ramjet as a base, I suggest getting rid of the paint apps using rubbing alcohol. Check the tutorials that are stickied at the top of the forum page. If you get rid of the paint apps that way, you end up with a clean, white plane as a base and you probably won't need to use primer. Remember, primer is one more coat of paint. On flat areas it's not really a problem, but on joints and where part rubbing is likely to happen, the less thick the paint job, the better. It also means less sanding in these same areas

5. adamthered

News Credits:
    Thank you for the informative replies. Now to just find the time to start :D 

6. adamthered

News Credits:
    One more question that I didn't see in the tutorials for removing paint apps.

After the alcohol has been applied and the paint removed, do I need to do anything to remove the alcohol residue? Will wiping it off suffice or should it wash it off with soap and water?

Thanks again.

7. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Alcohol dries in no time anyway. Just wipe off the excess and any you miss will evaporate quickly.

8. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Another good idea is to wash your parts in warm soapy water when your done stripping. This kills the residue, but also any grime or dirt you may have added during handling.

Also, hit up the sticky thread for customizing tips. It's like a lil bible of must know info. Good luck, bro!

9. jicco

jicco TF Customizer

Ebay:
    Hi,

I'm new to repainting myself, actually just planning to start.

From where i live, Malaysia, the only paint available to me (brand-wise) are Tamiya and Mr. Color. Available in acrylic and enamel.

For a newbie like me, which is a better paint to start off?

Thanks in advance.