Best option for acquiring the first three seeker reissues?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Canbot, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Canbot

Canbot Well-Known Member

So as it looks like we aren't going to have any reissue G1 characters for some time (or Encore, for that fact), I'm stuck with trying to find some reasonably priced reissue seekers: Starscream, Thundercracker and Skywarp. As Hasbro did that nice lil three pack of the Coneheads a couple years ago, I thought the first three would be a shoe-in. Well, like the Stunticons, looks like I was wrong :D  These are the last dudes I need to add to my G1 collection for completion.

The thing is, there's a lot of different reissues of them. What would you guys suggest for getting the best quality version, and from where? Leaning away from ebay, but if I know exactly which versions to get, I'll consider it.

I know that Hasbro reissued them here and in Japan, but not exactly sure. Any help?

Thanks!

2. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

Try Jungle Japan or Mandarake - two great used toy stores from Japan.

3. CigarJackal

CigarJackal Cy-gar smoking beast warrior

Instagram:
    IMG_20180408_35730.jpg 20170112_164149.jpg IMG_20180408_11141.jpg

Seeker Aces pack. You can sometimes still find it online.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Speaking strictly for SW & TC, I don't know about Starscream:
    The Hasbro Commemorative Series reissues are usually the cheapest, between $30-50 even sealed if you're patient. The Japanese Wonderfest (usually called the E-Hobby reissues, even though they aren't) are expensive to find sealed, sometimes affordable in opened condition. The Encore 11 reissue has been creeping way up in price (over $100), so don't expect to find it. That's it for G1 reissues of SW & TC, Starscream had a few other releases between E-Hobby, Transformers Collection (the "bookstyle" reissues), and whatnot.

I know you said you're avoiding ebay, but that's honestly the best shot at decent-priced Commemorative reissues. Local shops and other online stores tend to think reissues are worth as much as vintage or more. They're not terribly rare, just be patient and watch for them. Mandarake and Japanese auctions are a good place to look if you're familiar with either, but you'll have to be patient and stalk listings for a while. If you're really patient and stalk ebay every day, you could honestly find good vintage versions for about the same price, but it will take a while.

5. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I have this Starscream Re-issue. The "updated" Collection #9 one. Never opened.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I also *think* I have in storage this Skywarp in storage.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

PM me if interested and we can probably work out a price.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
  7. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    He SHOULD be looking for Classics Seekers, get his mind right.

Also, if you want something that is akin to Classics before Classics was Classics, you have the Robot Masters Seekers, those might even be a cheaper thing to chase down than the G1 Reissues.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Canbot

Canbot Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Yes, I should have been more clear, the G1 reissues is what I was looking for. But even they seem pretty high in price, I'm a bit surprised (because...I'm a sucker for punishment :D  ) I've done some looking around on ebay, but then the whole fakes things comes up and I'm not looking for KOs. If anybody has a lead, please let me know, though, and thanks!

9. LSyd

LSyd Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Plus Skywarp and Thundercracker come with a suave Decepticon lapel pin which makes you the hit of any gathering

-

• Like Like x 1
  10. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    The Hasbro reissues might be the more economical way to go. I know you wanted to stay away from eBay if possible but looking at some past sold listings, it looks there have been some decently priced Starscreams, Skywarps, and Thundercrackers (all sealed) sell for about $30-50 and quite honestly, those are not bad prices since the Hasbro reissues originally sold for around $34.99US. It's just trying to find some decent priced listings among all the higher priced ones.

Just be warned that Hasbro had to make some changes to accommodate child safety rules. IIRC, Starscream has longer missiles than the original and Takara reissues and Skywarp and Thundercracker have had their springs in their launchers stripped out.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll agree with others that the cheapest way is to get the three Hasbro reissues from TRU. You can usually get them for $30 each which is less than their original retail price at TRU.

If you want short missiles, you can either cut the missiles on the TRU ones (they'll look right but slide out if you tip them over) or get the Japanese versions. Skywarp/Thundercracker were in a two pack that you should be able to get for about $80-$90, and Starscream (the #9 posted above) goes for $40-$50.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Canbot

Canbot Well-Known Member

Those Hasbro prices sound reasonable to me. Could anyone provide a link to what the actual product boxes looked like? I wasnt collecting when they were released, just want to be sure Im getting the right versions. Im also not too concerned about the safety changes made, as long as they are legit. Thanks for the help, everyone.

13. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This guy is priced WAY too high, but here's what the boxes look like:

TRANSFORMERS G1 STARSCREAM COMMEMORATIVR SERIES 2 RE-ISSUE HASBRO | eBay

Set up a search on eBay for "g1 reissue tru starscream" and sooner or later you'll get one for about $40-$50. The other two sell for less.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Canbot

Canbot Well-Known Member

Thanks again for help, guys...and please, let me know if you get any leads via PM (or here, until I declare the search is successful :D  )

15. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay: