Best of UK: City of Fear Reprint Cover

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Tim Formas, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
  2. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "City Of Fear" is a great storyline, and the cover looks good. Although I must admit, I wish IDW would start reprinting some of the Marvel UK stories that never got a Titan reprint in the last few years, or even just those odd stories that aren't part of a more larger saga. I understand why they've stuck with the "epics" (so they can bundle 'em up as mini-series), but come on... "Wrath Of Grimlock"? "Man Of Iron"? "Enemy Action"? How about a Christmas special with "Christmas Breaker", "Stargazing" et al?

Sure, many of us have got the original comics, but it'd be nice to see them get a new lease of life as well as "Time Wars", "Target: 2006" etc.

3. sunnyswipe

sunnyswipe autobot

News Credits:
    love the art and colours, did this guy do both? when i first saw the picture though, i thought it was '-tration' starscream and zombies, guess its time for that eye-test....

4. 1987olds442

1987olds442 Cam Maximus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It is nice that they are reprinting these for those that never got a chance to read these stories. With the cost of these reprints being the same as new comics it would be nice if they would take to extra effort to have some of the great colorist team working for IDW to recolor these old issues with modern color like those of which Josh does for fun when practicing his skills. That would be the only way I would pick up these old reprints.

5. Big Bot

Big Bot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Excellent stuff. I was wondering what was going to follow Time Wars. On the front page, it mentions the earliest being March. Have we had Feb's preview yet?

6. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    This.
    Seeing as how I didn't even EXIST when these stories were originally printed I'd love to catch up more on the history.
    That being said, I'm really thankful for IDW continuing these reprints, I get a chance to read some classic TF fiction from before my time.
    DN

7. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit Uncounted Outlier

News Credits:
    He sure did! Check out more of Andrew's work here: glovestudios on deviantART

8. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:

the trick with that is finding copies of the old B&W artwork!

hehe

but it would sure be neat though if that were the case with these reprints

9. archangel

archangel Member

IDW will reprint "Man of Iron", it will be in their "Transformers Classic" vol.3 trade, along with BBo2006.

and they cant reprint "Christmas Breaker" because of leagal issues + why reprint "Stargazing"? this story is a countunuity mishap.

I agree with you on the "Wrath of Gurdian/Grimlock" and the earlier UK stories, I hope IDW somedsy will reprint them (with new and better colors).

10. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    I disagree. Honour the original artists by leaving their art alone, I say... unless there's some problem with the art that needs fixing, like one of the BotCon Wreckers comics where Dreamwave totally screwed up the colours.

I mean,what the hell, Dreamwave?
    Betrayal - Transformers Wiki

11. 1987olds442

1987olds442 Cam Maximus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I never said anything about changing the original art just the way out of date 80's coloring. IDW has some very skilled colorist and Josh is one of them. But like he said they would need the original line art so it's a moot point.

12. Railguard

Railguard Battalion Commander

Ebay:
    This looks like it will be interesteing.

13. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good news on "Man Of Iron" - but that means it'll be the crummy US reprint colouring rather than the superior UK original colouring.

"Stargazing" a continuity mishap? How so? Starscream's sealed in the pod by Hot Rod et al, breaks out, has some self-doubt and misses Cybertron, then teams up (off-panel) with Ratbat and the Decepticons to take part in the "Underbase" saga. What'd I miss?

I also think reprinting comics with a complete recolouring is a bit of a disservice to the original colourist. If they were going to do such "enhancements", I'd rather they just went the whole hog and got somebody to REDRAW and "interpret" the old stories into a new format (like some of the old Marvel Fantastic Four comics were redone).