Best of Beast Wars

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Torque, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    So was just wondering, which toys of each character is the overall best version of the characters? Since meeting Scott McNeil at TFcon, where I got Transmetal Rattrap and the Foxkids Waspinator (the latter of which he opened and signed for me), it got me thinking about the show and now I feel the need to get some of them now. Between those 2 and the purple Silverbolt, those are the only 4 characters I actually have.

NOTE:: I don't necessarily mean the most accurate version, or the best coloration, but the best overall toy.

2. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm a big fan of the Transmetal and Transmetal 2 versions of each character. TM2 Megatron, Optimal Optimus, TM Rampage, TM2 Dinobot, TM Tarrantulus, TM2 Blackarachnia, TM Depthcharge, TM Rattrap, and Tigerhawk are some of my favorite figures. Oddly enough, I think TFCC Airazor is the best version of that character. The other versions of Airazor suck...really badly.

3. AMG

AMG Old School

Bots with multiple version:

TM Megatron
    Optimal Optimus
    TM Cheetor
    TM Tarantulas
    TM2 Dinobot

One version must haves:

Rampage
    Inferno
    Depth Charge

That's some.

4. elizasteave

elizasteave Well-Known Member

I don't have a good idea of the best figures as I haven't thought of taking them ever, but yes, as the figures mentioned by Wolfdawg, Optimal Optimus, TM2 Dinobot and TM2 Blackarachnia are some of my favorites too.

5. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    This thread suits my needs too, hehe. I've been collecting BW figures for a few months and I've been trying to get the figures that best represent each character and ones that I just think are cool.

The only figure where I'd tell you to definitely pick one over other variants is Japan's Metals Megatron. Don't get the TM Megatron, unless you are willing to keep it MISB, because it suffers GPS. Some BW figures are getting pretty pricey and vhtf too. I've finally found TM SP DX Convoy, but I have to spend close to $200. This is the recent Japanese reissue of the ultra class Optimus Primal btw. In fact, the Japanese BW line is much more expensive overall for some reason. Maybe it's more limited and some of the sets/exclusives are much nicer like the versus (VS) sets. An example, I paid $100 shipped for one of the Japan VS sets that has Cheetor and Waspinator.

My recommendations to you or anyone else would be go for some TRU 10th anniversary reissues or Japan's Telemocha reissue line for rediculous cartoon accuracy. Specific figures I would say get the TRU/Telemocha versions of Waspinator, Blackarachnia, Optimus Primal and Megatron. These are much harder to find and more expensive than the originals though...If you don't wanna spend much then just get the originals, they are still fine, but they do lack some details on a few figures. Overall, there are quite a few options at your disposition.

6. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Tigerhawk. Fantastic toy.

7. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    You spent $200 on that figure?

Good job! :drunk 

My recommendation: Optimal Optimus & Dragon Megatron. :) 

8. opt1musaber

News Credits:
    ^ No, I haven't bought it yet. But I will! The good thing about the price is it includes TM SP DX Megatron too. BTW is $200 too much? Even if it is I want this Prime!

9. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I thoroughly enjoy Big Convoy, Snapper, non-TM Cybershark, Claw Jaw is actually pretty fun, despite being a squid.

10. doctajones428

doctajones428 Well-Known Member

Best of each show character?

Maximals

Optimal Optimus
    TM Cheetor
    TM Rattrap (Normal version is awesome too)
    TM Rhinox (Both molds are kind of bleh)
    Airrazor (Not a huge fan of TM Airrazor)
    Tigatron (Go for the Japanese white version)
    Tigerhawk
    Depthcharge
    Silverbolt
    Henkei Generations (United?) Dinobot

Predacons

TM Megatron (Japanese version, US version will fall apart into dust. He's expensive, go for the TM2 version depending on your cash situation)
    TM2 Blackarachnia
    TM Terrorsaur (Normal version of him is nice, but small, and more expensive)
    TM Tarantulas
    TM Waspinator (Go for Telemocha/10th Waspinator, again, expensive-ish. TM Waspinator is nice, but doesn't capture the true Waspinator)
    TM2 Dinobot 2
    Rampage
    Inferno
    Quickstrike
    Scorponok
    X-9 Ravage (Will set you back $200. Shadow Panther (Black normal Cheetor repaint) and Tripredacus Agent (Black TM2 Cheetor repaint) are each a quarter of the price)

Try to get your hands on Japanese Big Convoy and Lio Convoy. Awesome figures

11. Automorpher

News Credits:
    Yes, without a doubt. ;) 

One sold recently at USD $60.

Even with that Megatron thrown in, it is still way too much.

12. opt1musaber

News Credits:
    ^ where? Are we talking MISB? If you go to ebay either of the Telemoch Optimus Primals are vhtf and expensive. The deluxe sized version is around $60 let alone the ultra...

13. typev3

typev3 @VinceSanchez

Definitely go for TM Rampage and TM Depthcharge.

14. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

BW is my favorite line, when I got back into Transformers heavily and they hold up well. The best versions of the characters though would have to be their Transmetal and TM2 versions. Those parts of the line really shined in my opinion and except for a little wear on some figures even are still great by today's standards.

Some of the Fuzors aren't bad either.

15. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is probably the best recommendation you'll get, IMO. I have all those figures (with the exception of Scorponok and X-9 Ravage) and they display well together. Still, I think TFCC is the best Airazor representation :lol 

16. Automorpher

News Credits:
    Yes, MISB.

Not on eBay though, he was available at a local toy shop for the longest time possible yet nobody bothered casting him a second glance.

In fact, the retail outlets in Singapore tried to clearance him & Megatron at USD $64. Bad move because these didn't really sell at all.

It was only when they moved another notch lower (USD $32 for the pair) & that's when the buying interest sank right back in. :) 

Don't ask me why but we don't really have much BWs collectors in Singapore. :lol 

17. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    technically it's a universe toy but razorclaw is a purple and black redeco of tigerhawk. i like razorclaw's deco better but he's labeled as a decepticon so if you want a maximal or just like the cool colors better get tigerhawk.

18. opt1musaber

News Credits:
    O.O Can you buy me a pair hahaha......Seriously though.

19. Nope

Nope Predacon

News Credits:
    Razorclaw

20. rattimus prime

rattimus prime Scout Class Prime

got a flash lio convoy at my local comic store awhile ago, his balance is very wonky due to the lion form on his shoulders and it doesnt help that his legs aren't stable and he is thin, i loved all my transmetals mainly cause they have some of the best articulation this side of revoltech.