Best method to clean/repair G1 guys

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Jericho, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Jericho

Jericho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have two G1 Jazz's and I need to clean. My first one will require the most as there is a ton of sticker residue, yellowing in some areas and just caked on dirt and grime. Is there anything that will damage the plastic and or diecast areas on him, anything I should stay away from and anything I should focus on (water and soap, baby wipe, etc)?

Also, my Thundercracker and Skywarp both have slightly twisted legs. I guess in storage they were at the bottom of the pile so when in jet mode their legs are slightly angled so they don't rest straight. Would simply taking it apart and putting it back together fix that? Anyone else ever have this issue?

Gracias....

(If this isn't where to ask, apologies)

2. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I clean and restore and Reprolabels alot of figures... for cleaning I use Q-tips, lemon-scent Simple Green (it's not dark green like the other stuff), GooGone, and dry paper towels at the end... I mostly use the Simple Green, which removes most everything, but when I need to I whip out the goo gone for the gnarliest sticker residue... gotta watch out tho, because the goo gone WILL start to eat the paint on die-cast, and any other painted on stuff.

As for the Seeker jet legs... you'll need to take it apart, and I think you can bend the mounting bits for the legs back straight.

3. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES use that "Goo Gone" or "Goof Off" stuff to remove your sticker residue - it'll eat plastic and paint. I use lighter fluid, like you'd use to fill a cigarette lighter. Stuff works wonders. That or WD-40. That's good too. I'd use it with a Q-Tip so you don't make a mess and so you can be more accurate.

For your seeker legs, try a hairdryer. Or leave them in a hot car in a sunny spot. Get them nice and hot and soft and see if you can't bend them back, get them where you want them, then stick them in the fridge and see if they harden up correctly. Might need to brace them somehow to hold the position while they "freeze" ;) 

I love fixing these things ;)  Good luck!

4. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Thanks for the goo-gone tip guys. I'm fixing to spend a lot on reprolabels and I don't want to ruin my more expensive guys like my Powermasters.

5. Prometheum5

News Credits:
    Hmm... I haven't had any issues at all with GooGone... I cleaned off my Dai Atlas the other day with it, and it's fine... I've definitely used it before, and the only problems were with paint. I always get leery when people mention using lighter fluid to clean stuff... it may work, but it seems like a much worse idea.

6. Jericho

Jericho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah the lighter fluid is a little iffy to me. I might try the WD-40 as I have some at home. I really am leery of anything scented as well. I might try just hot water and a little soap to start and see if that helps. He's pretty banged up and it's the Takara only stamp so I don't want to make it worse.

7. Prometheum5

News Credits:
    WD-40 makes sense... the safest thing would probably just be to use basic Windex, which is effectively just Amonia.

8. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Bwah? Lighter fluid and WD-40 are much are harsher chemicals than goo gone or other citrus cleaners. I always clean incrementally starting with a tooth brush and soapy water, goo gone or lighter fluid, whichever starts working first. Lighter fluid is my last resort since I've had the most trouble with it unintentionally taking off paint and ruining rubbery plastic.

9. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i have found taking a q-tip and using a little vegetable oil works to take sticker residue off and wont eat or discolor.