Best luggage/case to transport loose/unboxed figures by air?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by edgecrusher, Jun 18, 2017.

1. edgecrusher

edgecrusher Retro Active TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Curious if anyone has found a particular case that they would recommend for transporting figures that are loose and you want to protect them from paint chipping, breakage, or other damage.

Specifically when traveling with them by air where you're restricted by checked baggage or carry-on requirements.

Perhaps something with a grid array of individual compartments inside it sort of like a tackle box?

Or do you just go old-school and toss them in a duffel bag, individually wrapped with bubblewrap? :) 

2. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

I'd probably use my clothes as the protective barrier between bots. Use alt modes and I'd use a case that has a definite shape. Not a duffle bag.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Nighthawkblack

Nighthawkblack Well-Known Member

I'd keep them in alt mode and wrap them in bubble wrap except for Meg's and use a hard shell suitcase with clothes above and below them checked in.

• Like Like x 2
  4. robh

robh Decepticon

Ebay:
    Make sure you pack megs in alt mode.

• Like Like x 12
  5. NotTheFace

NotTheFace Lightning Strike

You might want to try using those luggage organizing cube and packing them in socks and t-shirts for padding.

6. rubadubspawn

rubadubspawn Rubadubspawn deals @ rubadubspawn1@gmail.com

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I'd put them wrapped in clothes or bubboe wrap and carry them in your hard case carry on.

For the cash we drop on these, it's not worth the headache to have stuff break.

If I was moving, I'd probably ship everything to be honest and pack carefully like a mofo...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is probably the only reason I've kept all my original boxes. They're packed into the top shelf of the wardrobe and take up a ridiculous amount of space with all the foam and plastic inserts but I've moved house and work often enough in the last few years that I know I'll need them sooner or later. It's also handy if you decide to sell anything on later.
    For air travel you want them well wrapped - soft cloth and then bubble wrap if it was me - and then carefully packed in a solid suitcase or bag. Even for carry-on be careful. All you need is some distracted mother traveling with three or four kids to try and force an over-packed nappy bag or shoulder bag into the overhead lockers and ...snap. If you have time and it's a permanent move I'd almost be tempted to carefully pack them into a shipping box and get it shipped?

• Like Like x 1
  8. OverBleed

OverBleed I Love This Show!

Maybe a hard sided rifle case with pluck able foam inserts. Then you can pluck out foam in the exact size of the figure. It may be cheaper to just get a hard sided case and rap each one. But who knows what TSA is going to do, every time I check a bag of tools they turn the thing inside out. I personally would ship them.

How many are you wanting to transport at once? If it's just 3 or 4 a hard sided camera case might work, then you could still have it as a carry on.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  9. robh

robh Decepticon

Ebay:
    seriously though, if it's just a few, bubble wrap in your carry-on is probably you're safest bet. If you're needing to take a lot, I'd bubble wrap, box, and UPS it. It'll be a lot more protected, won't get lost, and likely be cheaper to boot. I just moved and bubble-wrap/boxed up all of mine loose in pseudo alt mode. Mine survived without a scratch. Even the custom painted ones.

• Like Like x 1
  10. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:

ROFL!!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. StrangePlanet

StrangePlanet G1

This might sound weird, and it has nothing to do with Megatron, but look into gun cases.

Gun cases are sometimes cheap, sometimes nice, and they'll have that soft foam insides that keep everything from moving in any way. Many Transformers won't be flat enough or small enough for them, but for carbots and such, can be pretty sweet.

• Like Like x 1
  12. rubadubspawn

rubadubspawn Rubadubspawn deals @ rubadubspawn1@gmail.com

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    My whole garage roof is full of toy boxes. Totally looks like a hoarders paradise.

I'm pretty sure if there's an earthquake - they will all fall down and kill me.

I'd probably have to rent a small uhaul shipping container to get everything in there properly if I were going to ship in original boxes. Issue is that all the boxes are so randomly sized - makes them hard to pack. Honestly - it might be easier to sell everything and rebuy. it would be a massive hassle to move the stuff since alot of the figures are so delicate, accessories easy to lose, etc.

Good luck man!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Scourgatron

Scourgatron What of it?

News Credits:
    Turn Megatron into alt mode and announce at check in that your bringing him. You have to hold him high enough for everyone to see him. Make sure you have him in an a manilla envelope.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Deceptimatrix

Deceptimatrix Warrior Elite

@murphytronus uses my old TCP cardboard shipping boxes when flies home from TFcon Toronto, and checks them in like luggage. Granted most items are packaged, but he wraps the loosies in bubble wrap. The key is to not leave any empty space in the box for them to bounce around. Clothes are a good option to use as filler.

15. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    just wrapped clothes, and chances are youll have plenty of dirty(ish) clothes at the end of your presumed trip. put them inside of another box if youre a MISB guy who frets about the frayed edges.

16. ROXXOR

ROXXOR Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    If it were me and the size/quantity is small enough, I'd put them in a carry-on bag that you can store in an overhead compartment. I've got a little roller hard-shell bag that I've used for fragile things in the past.

In my flying experience, baggage handlers and the loading process are incredibly hard on bags. I used to buy nice/expensive bags, but I eventually learned that I was better off buying cheap luggage and treating it as if it were disposable. The airlines destroy luggage, and that goes double if you happen to be changing planes in Newark NJ... years ago I watched from my plane as the handlers tossed bags into huge piles on the tarmac.

If it's important or fragile, don't check it in. If it *has* to be checked-in, you'll want to pack it as well or better than you would pack something that's going through the mail.

• Like Like x 1
  17. mephinc

mephinc Well-Known Member

Ship them.
    I'd rather deal with a FedEx guy kicking the box down the sidewalk vs TSA doing a pleasant cavity search

18. koonfasa

koonfasa Well-Known Member

Just put handles on one of these:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. cj37a

cj37a Well-Known Member

Tip for TSA Check: Keep Megatron in Robot mode.

And yes... just ship them. You don't want any of that on a plane trip

20. koonfasa

koonfasa Well-Known Member