Best jumping on point?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Insane Galvatron, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I've been hearing a lot of good things about the new RID and MTMTE series IDW are putting out. I'd like to go back and start reading, but I'm pretty sure these stories don't take off from scratch, and actually continue on from previous stories. Was there a fresh reboot somewhere? If I wanted to read these, what back IDW stuff would I need to read just to be caught up on story? I know the early IDW stuff was garbage mostly due to the writer ( Mike Costa? ) not finding Transformers easy to relate to. I've not been following the IDW verse since issue #1 of the ongoing back in 1999. Where do I need to start to get just enough back info going into RID and MTMTE to know what's going on without having to read too much of the crap?

2. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just picked up the MTMTE v1 TPB without having read any of IDW's stuff, other than LSotW, since Maximum Dinobots and didn't have much trouble getting into it. There were a few specific details that didn't make much sense, but the TFWiki summary of "Chaos" cleared it up well enough. YMMV, but jumping in right with "The Death of Optimus Prime" worked fine for me.

3. Arsenic

Arsenic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You don't have to read them all.
    Since MTMTE TPB vol. 1 contains The Death of Optimus Prime (as well as MTMTE #1~3), you can start from that book.

4. King Henrik

King Henrik Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    not all the old IDW is bad, just the early ongoing. the furman "ation" series were good as was all hail megatron.

the death of optimus prime is a great starting point (in Mtmte tpb vol 1.) but i also highly recommend last stand of the wreckers before reading that.

5. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    While I only liked some of the Furman stuff I loved AHM glad theres others. Death of OP is a good place to hop on and LSOTW.

6. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    So it sounds like All Hail Megatron, followed by Last Stand of the Wreckers, then right into MTMTE and RID. If I do that, will AHM or LSotW leave me with any questions from not reading the other stuff? Or are they pretty much stand alone?

7. King Henrik

King Henrik Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    AHM is a really good story, but you could sum it up in one sentence and know enough to read last stand of the wreckers. but knowing last stand of the wreckers goes quite a ways to truly appreciating mtmte. all of these do connect to each other, but if you're looking to start this process on the cheap i say go with wreckers then get the MTMTE and RiD.

if money isnt an issue,id say get AHM 1 &2 for the main story(skipping the supplemental 3 &4), then last stand of the wreckers, prelude to chaos, chaos, (skip police action) and then get mtmte and rid. you're still skipping a lot but you will get the vast majority of the story.

8. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

Honestly, I say skip All Hail Megatron and go straight into LSotW. AHM is a decent story, but the current series are SOOOOOO much better than anything that's come before. I'd hate to see you get discouraged before you even get to the good stuff. You could always go back and catch up later.

9. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    Honestly? Just go pick up the first MTMTE trade. If you like it, then go back and read Wreckers.

There's never been a fresh starting-point, just a bunch of soft reboots. IDW Continuity, for all its potholes, has been continuous since Furman started Infiltration back in 2006. But that's kind've the beauty of modern comics, publishers are hungry for new readers; even though plots continue to move forward, past events are referenced often and thoroughly.

The Death of Optimus Prime (first story in the MTMTE trade) starts in a really strange place, but by the end of the issue, you're brought up on all the important plot points and how events led up to the present.

10. Gridlock1987

Gridlock1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some say it's ok, some say it's bad, but right now it's pretty much forgotten story with almost no impact left from it. Start with MTMTE and RID.

11. bossprime

bossprime wrecker

This, definitely this would help you the most. For the rest of the IDW verse you can read up summaries on tfwiki.

12. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

i would recommend the -ations, IDW volumes 1-4, because Ratchet's holoform appeared in MTMTE issue 5. Ratchet's holoform first appeared in Infiltration.

13. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    if you just want to jump in where things are, i'd say get the LSOTW Hardcover and the MtMtE and RID vol. 1 trades, then you can decide if you want to get both series or 1 or the other. If you are interested you can go back from their and pick up the IDW series through the "The IDW Collection" hardcovers....

14. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Like everyone else has said... I was in the same boat. I read LSOTW and then MTMTE v1 and all is good. I was able to figure most everything out. I had all of the pre-AHM stuff, but it's not required reading. In the old days, we could pick up a comic in the middle of a story arc and figure out what was going on thanks to exposition... We don't have that anymore, but these books are pretty darn good at keeping you updated.

15. shadowsfm

shadowsfm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    can i suggest the drift comics to help flesh out more then meets the eye?

16. Prime Wylde

Prime Wylde And there you have it...

For story:
    All hail megs
    (the coda issues have some good stuff and some bad)
    last stand of the wreckers (because it's great AND WILL MATTER)
    prelude to chaos
    chaos
    (just...just...skip police action)
    mtmte and rid

if you have questions after that, a few wikki entries will save you a headache and some bad writing.