Best introduction point for new Marvel fan?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Recall, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    My father is a die hard D.C Comics fan growing up and continuing to read mainly Superman and Batman comics. He asked if I knew anything about the Marvel universe and where a good starting point would be as he is interested in expanding what he reads.

I had no idea. I only have a tew trades and 80% of the characters in them I know nothing about. (we both know of the characters who've appeared in movies, Spider-Man, Iron Man, Hulk etc etc)

Is there a definitive jumping in point, that introduces you to the characters without relying on reading several years worth of back story just to get an understanding of their general roles?

I've been promising for months to find him some info but i've been a bad son and only just got a round to it. Is anyone able to offer any help for where a new Marvel fan should start?

Cheers.

P.S this isn't going to be a hardcore super duper hobby, it's just something to keep him occupied when he wants a lazy weekend.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  2. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

If you want to follow the Avengers and various associated supers I'd say pick up Civil War, The Death of Captain America, and Fallen Son. These are the kicking off point for pretty much everything Marvel is dealing with these days, and the aftershocks are still ringing through the various character's books.

Most everything post civil war has been collected into trades for the various character arcs. There's some very brave writing with the post Civil War Captain America stories.

For Iron Man I'd say just start following at the start of "Invincible Iron Man," which starts off with a good summation of what's going on with him, and sets up for Secret Invasion.

Secret Invasion itself I find skippable. Just go straight into Dark Reign and follow Dark Avengers, New Avengers, and Mighty Avengers, as well as Iron Man most Wanted and the Stark Dissassembled storyline.

Return of Captain America is also a pretty major event.

By that point you should be caught up with the new "Heroic Age" storyline.

Basically Marvel has been one huge crossover for the past five years. There is good and bad to that. It does give you one big linear arc to follow and you can pretty much just grab trades to get the whole story from start to finish, but it would be a pain if you enjoy shorter, stand alone stories.

If you like the Punisher I'd also suggest "Going out West."

If you're following the X series I really can't help. I ran away from that convoluted mess a while back.

3. davieanix

davieanix Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't want to hijack your topic Recall, but I was going to post something very similar. May as well ask here too and maybe the answer can help you as well!

I'm interested in getting some trades, mainly stuff concerning the Dark Avengers right up to the end of Siege. Can anyone suggest some titles to pick up? I already grabbed Siege Prelude, and I am eyeing Utopia. What else should I get?

Thanks!

4. shunquan

shunquan ACID STORMER

News Credits:
    Imo, most of the main Marvel stuff changes status quote every year, civil war, secret invasion, dark reign, siege and the Heroic Age being the latest event

I agree with GigatronSama on Dark Avengers, Invincible Iron man and Captain America, although I dropped Captain after Captain America Rebirth

But the real gems to me are those that are self contained, pick up Incredible Hercules, Immortal Iron fist, Nova, Guardians of the galaxy, Captain Britain and MI 13.

For X related stuff, pick up Astonishing X men vol 1-4 for good art and story (Weldon and Cassaday), theres also the Messiah War trilogy which just ended too.

Also, if you're into stuff thats more adult, Punisher Max is your best shot, pure gold by Ennis

5. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Thank you very much, it's certainly very useful information. It points us in the right direction and that's a good a start as any :) 

6. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Last weeks issue of Amazing Spider Man I've heard is a good jumping on point for the webswinger.

7. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fantastic Four # 486

8. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I'd recommend staying away from anything Marvel currently publishes. If you have to have some Marvel, hit up the comic store and check out some TPBs reprinting classic stories and wait for Marvel to come to it's senses.

9. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Invincible Iron Man is about the only Marvel line I pick up now.

The TPBs for them should be easily found.

10. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Ok This is what we've ended up with:

The complete Secret Invasion TPB, the New and Mighty Avenger tie ins. The entire comic run that covered Siege (44 comics), the comic run that covered the Avengers Dissassembled (34 comics) and now the Death of Captain America run.

thank you eBay

11. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Might I suggest Ultimate Spider-man.
    I don't know what the book is like after Ultimatum, but the original run was excellent.

12. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Punisher MAX. Garth Ennis' run.