Best idea for the gun alt modes...to me at least.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SentinelPrime, Jun 12, 2010.

1. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    Hi there one and all. Make yourself at home.

I was reflecting on the G1 concept of the Pistol alt mode after reading a comment about how the G1 gun modes "were stupid". Of course, it was an unfortunate side effect from bringing in the toys from other lines to make TFs in the first place, but it's there, and ties directly to two of the major decepticons.

Admittedly, if I didn't have that nostalgic connection, I'd probably think it was Megatron's worst alt mode, but it's really hard to disassociate that mode from the character for me.

The problem isn't the fact that he turns into a weapon, that's fine. He unleashes so much power that he needs to turn into a different mode just to use it. No problem. The problem is the long-standing issue of mass shifting.

Well, I think the best way to look at it would be just simply saying the gun modes are used by the combiners like Devastator and that's it. There's plenty of gestalts, so at the end of the day I think it's the best excuse.

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Shockwave turned into a gun, didn't mass shift, and didn't need anyone to shoot him. Depending on the continuity, Megatron is perfectly able to fire himself in gun mode as well. Its an interesting idea to put forward that his gun mode is a representation of him focusing the entirety of his physical being into directing a destructive force, and how this is a reflection of his personality, but its one that has been put forward before.

I dunno, my issue with the gun mode was always that its a pretty ineffective alt mode for a leader to have, when you think about it from a tactical perspective. If anything, he should have had underlings to transform into weapons so that he could do the shooting.

3. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

Target Masters.

4. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This

5. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've always believed that Megatron's Cybertronian form was similar to Shockwave's, and when Megatron crashed on Earth Teletraan-1 reformatted him into the closest analogous Earth form to what he was, which turned out to be a handgun. If 1984 humans had invented giant antigrav cannons, that's what Megatron would have ended up as.

In the fiction in my head, Megatron flew around Cybertron for four million years in his Shockwave-esque giant flying cannon mode creating chaos, and there's a "deleted scene" in More Than Meets the Eye in which all of the other Decepticons point and laugh at Megatron when they find out the alt mode he got saddled with.

6. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So what you're saying is... you all agree ROTF's flying tank was the best alternate mode they could think of for him?

7. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Well its better than the over sized hand gun but me I'd go with some kind of artillery or maybe even some of ICBM transport, puts him on scale with prime and still some thing of mass destruction.

8. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    So where does Browning fit in all this?