Best Genndy Tartakovsky show?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by QLRformer, Sep 14, 2012.

?

Best Genndy Tartakovsky show?

1. Two Stupid Dogs (featuring Secret Squirrel)

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  2. Dexter’s Laboratory

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  3. The Powerpuff Girls

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  4. Star Wars: Clone Wars

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  5. Samurai Jack

14 vote(s)
    32.6%
  6. Sym-Bionic Titan

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  7. All of them!

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Genndy Tartakovsky is one of the best animation masters out today. Not only do his works have a clear, distinct style, but they contain a cast of vivid, zany characters that appeal to all ages. His notable TV shows are as follows:

TWO STUPID DOGS
    Consider it an early prototype of Tartakovsky’s hallmarks. The adventures of two dim-witted dogs as they try to at least handle a simple task like going to the bathroom, opening a door and so on.

Not too bad, but watching them lumber around trying to figure out how to handle something a five-year old could manage got tiring after a while – these guys got lost THREE times on the way to a dinner party for Pete’s sake. The supporting show – a revival of Hanna-Barbara’s SECRET SQUIRREL – was far more interesting and impressive.

DEXTER’S LABORATORY
    GT came into his own with this show: a boy genius who runs a secret laboratory finds his work constantly disrupted by his carefree playful (but in no way stupid as he says) sister. From this simple premise came a near-infinite supply of incredible situations. This show was such a hit it inspired Butch Hartman (FAIRLY ODD PARENTS), Seth McFarlane (FAMILY GUY) and collaborator Craig McCracken.

It helps also that the characters are wonderful. Dexter may be a boy genius, but he is also a boy and suffers the same troubles as most ordinary people: crushes, popularity desire, rivalries, and no matter how much his sister drives him crazy, if she’s in trouble he will save her. And beyond the brother and sister there are the sports-obsessed dad, the slightly vapid mom, Dexter’s rival Mandark who has a crush on Dee Dee, Dexter’s superhuman Monkey, the superhero trio known as the Justice Friends... it didn’t matter that much of the stories/characters were parodies, they were fresh on the screen and were wonderful to watch.

The only thing I don’t really get, years later, is why he kept the lab a secret from his parents. Of course he’s a genius, but if his parents know that then why shouldn’t they know about the lab?

THE POWERPUFF GIRLS
    Though this was more a collaboration with Craig McCracken, GT too made his mark with this show and gave it its own feel and unique cast. Three superpowered girls: smart and authoritative Blossom, sweet and naïve Bubbles and feisty and combative Buttercup – beyond them, their professor father, the infantile mayor and his HOT assistant, and of course the assortment of villains they have to encounter: an evil monkey, a redneck, a bunch of monsters who stop by weekly to tear up the city, and most bizarrely a bunch of amoebas who are too weak and stupid to defeat the girls but manage to do so every freaking time (love how ironic it is).

And most of the stories were not just about good or evil, but a few focused on a look at the daily lives for most of the cast: one of the best episodes involved the girls during a rainy day, and another had a look at Mojo Jojo taking community service (where his unique lingo catches on). Solid fun for all ages, all round.

SAMURAI JACK
    A samurai wielding a magic sword faces off against an evil demon, but on the verge of victory he is cast a thousand years into the future, where the demon has conquered the universe. The samurai must now search for a way to get home, for that is the only way he can stop the darkness that has spread.

This. Show. Was. Epic.

STAR WARS: CLONE WARS.
    A look at the Clone Wars, the intervening period between Episodes 2 and 3. Never saw it, unfortunately, so can’t judge.

SYM-BIONIC TITAN.
    A homage to the mecha anime genre: a princess, a cadet and a robot flee their war-torn Earth to hide out on Earth, only to be pursued by their enemies and must now defend their new home. Never saw it either unfortunately.

My vote goes to DEXTER’S LAB. While Jack would probably be the pinnacle of GT’s work, the Lab is IMO his most special work, as it’s where he got his first hit and brought into prominence his distinctive style and charm; and it’s still a great show to watch, after all these years.

2. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Tie between Powerpuff Girls and Dexter's Laboratory.

3. mrfang2

mrfang2 leader of team rejects

News Credits:
    much as i love all of them, i gota give this one to sym-bionic titan. easily a tie for best show on the network in so many years, only being equaled in my mind by the non-filler episodes of generator rex, plus, its got a giant mecha bot with clear skin. whats not to love!

4. Primal1987

Primal1987 Creator Of The OptiBrony

News Credits:
    DEXTER’S LABORATORY easily. All the episodes until the 2001 relaunch (where the voices changed and got all lame) were absolute gold.

5. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Powerpuff Girls. Dexter's Lab would tie if not for that horrible relaunch period.

6. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Samurai Jack and Sym-Bionic Titan are tied for me.

7. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Samurai Jack for me, that show had a truly unique, fascinating and almost surrealist universe, one episode would be a War movie, other would be Noir, other would be SCI-fi, horror show, among others.

And all protagonized by our great Samurai, a man who doesn't fit at all with that world, yet he can bend it to his will using his ways [unlike virtually everyone else there].

And of course, on the other side of the chessboard, there is Aku, the source of all evil and the man who built that mad world in which Jack lives now, he is not merely a villain, he is the embodiment of entropy and chaos.
    That and he's funny as Hell. "There was a little girl with GIANT FLAMING EYEBALLS!" in contrast to the extremely stoic Jack.

That's just a unique tale. Shame it was cancelled.

8. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Titan for me.

9. Spin-Out

Spin-Out "It's just... Asinine."

Samurai Jack, with Titan and Clone Wars tied for second.

10. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Samurai jack by a mile. Now if the Scotsman had gotten his own spin off series it might be close.

11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Dexter's Lab.

12. darkunor

darkunor Banned

Samurai Jack, a no-brainer, really!

13. Nemesis251

Nemesis251 Wants 3rd Party Knock Out

Its a tie between Samurai Jack and Sym-bionic Titan for me. I just wish CN would have let him be. Everything GT done there was gold.

14. Primus5289

Primus5289 Well-Known Member

Samurai Jack followed by Clone Wars and Secret Squirrel.

15. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    LOVE that version of Clone Wars better than the CG. Dexter is awesome. I also love that it's Chucky from Rugrats. Powerpuff is cool too and love that it's Tommy Pickles. :) 

16. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Star Wars: Clone Wars for me.

17. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I loved Sym-Bionic Titan and was incredibly pissed when it got canceled after only 20 episodes.

Haven't fully watched Samurai Jack though.

18. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

A 4-way tie between Dexter's Laboratory (Justice Friends FTW), Samurai Jack, Clone Wars and Powerpuff Girls.

19. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    I'd go with Dexter's Lab but it turned to shit in the third sesason and fourth season is an abomination.

So I have to go with Samurai Jack. It was a show waaaaaay ahead of its time.

20. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Interner Soldier

News Credits:
    Either Star Wars: Clone wars, or Samurai Jack, I'd say Power puff Girls, but I list that under Craig McCracken shows.