Best G1 episodes to show to a layman

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by col, Jul 8, 2011.

1. col

col ROCK LORD

News Credits:
    Hey all, I'm planning on going through some Transformers media to show my wife just so she has an idea of where my appreciation for the toys comes from. She's only seen the live action movies, and I don't think they're a fair example of how great Transformers are. I'm not trying to make her a big fan like me (though that wouldn't be awful :wink: ), but just want her to be more familiar with the fiction I like. Obviously, I'm starting off with a few G1 episodes from the first season, followed by the '86 movie, then Beast Wars, and maybe some Animated followed by Prime.

My question to you guys is what episodes from the first season of G1 do you think should be shown? I'm already planning to put on the first three episodes, but what should I show beyond that? Ultimate Doom? The first Insecticons episode? The first Dinobots, or Constructicons? Or are the first three episodes enough before moving on to the movie? What are your thoughts?

2. SuzyPrime

SuzyPrime The friendly lurker

Well, as a chick who loves G1 I would say MTMTE parts 1-3 are good. Megatron's Master Plan, The Ultimate Doom and Countdown to Extinction are also some favorites. I'm not a huge fan of the Dinobots, but I thought Desertion of the Dinobots is fun.

3. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

I vote for Ultimate Doom. It has everyone (at that point) on screen, along with a human element to keep her grounded. Character traits for many come across nicely for many, so she won't think that every character is just a generic robot soldier.

Also give her the follow-up ep Countdown to Extinction.

If she can handle that, maybe throw in Divide and Conquer as well.

4. Geezertron

Geezertron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    There was a lot of good stuff from Season 1. Like others have said, The Ultimate Doom is a great choice. I'd suggest Heavy Metal War as well. It's one of my favorite episodes ever.

5. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You've already got More Than Meets the Eye 1-3 covered, so I won't suggest that. Out of the rest of season 1 I'd recommend:

Divide and Conquer
    SOS Dinobots
    The Ultimate Doom 1-3
    Heavy Metal War

While I don't have a great knowledge of G1 post-season 1, I do know of a few episodes in S2&3 that are good:

Season 2:
    A Prime Problem
    Megatron's Master Plan
    The Secret of Omega Supreme
    (I personally haven't seen the above three)
    The Key to Vector Sigma 1&2
    War Dawn
    Starscream's brigade

Season 3:
    Five Faces of Darkness 1-5
    The Killing Jar
    Dark Awakening
    Carnage in C-Minor (animation is terrible, but it was a decent episode)
    The Burden Hardest to Bear
    The Return of Optimus Prime 1&2

Just some suggestions I personally would recommend to someone. Your call on showing them.

6. Dex17113

Dex17113 Well-Known Member

MTMTE 1 - 3 and the Ultimate Doom are good choices.

If you go to Season 2 I think The Key To Vector Sigma 1 & 2 are good ones to get her in to the mythos.

7. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

Golden Lagoon.

When Omega comes out of the Lagoon it is epic.

8. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Man, if you don't think the live action movies are a good representation of TF, why the heck show her the 1980s cartoon series? (Note - I am pretty much an exclusive G1 only fan, but the cartoon is dreadful).

The cartoon is nonsensical, and even when compared to its contemporaries (e.g. Thundercats) it looks cheap.

Truthfully, I'd be more inclined to show her the toys and the comic books and leave it at that.

However, if you must...

More Than Meets The eye Pts 1-3 (or "Arrival From Cyberton" if you have the spliced together movie length version)

Megatron's Master Plan

The Girl Who Loved Powerglide

Return of Optimus Prime

I don't necessarily think these are the best episodes, but they are the ones that - for whatever reason - I love :) 

9. Yurre

Yurre I want space nachos XD

Dont show her the 86s movie, she might and up hating tf after that... Show her mtmte 1-3 and fire in the sky

10. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Yeah, pretty much this. The best jumping-off point for a lay person would be Dreamwave's MMTE profiles.

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    But the Movie is the best part of G1's cartoon continuity.

12. col

col ROCK LORD

News Credits:
    I'm honestly expecting Beast Wars and Prime to do a better job of entertaining her. G1 is being shown for the sake of history/backstory when certain things come up in Beast Wars. If anything, G1 can serve as a fun "This cartoon is so '80s!" bit of entertainment.

This is kind of an experiment for me to see how someone pretty unfamiliar with all this will react to it too. I might not have bothered except we watched the live action "Masters of the Universe" movie from the '80s on a lark, and she came out of it saying it was more entertaining than expected. So this is just a bit of fun for both of us. In all likelihood, she may say it was fun to be polite. :eek: 

Anyhow, it looks like I'll definitely add "Ultimate Doom" and maybe "Countdown to Extinction". I might throw in "Heavy Metal War" if I'm feeling bold (that was one of my favorites too).

13. Yurre

Yurre I want space nachos XD

Sorry, i cant agree with you on that... =)

14. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I agree. The original animated movie was easily the best thing put out during the original cartoon's span. If you're going to show anything from the original cartoon, it's the original movie.

Again, I completely agree. My wife just doesn't really find entertainment in cartoons that mainly appeal to children. Beast Wars and Prime at least do a better job in appealing to a wider audience.

15. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    Starscream's Ghost and Ghost in the Machine

16. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, this. If she doesn't mind reading comics, give her Furman's run on the Marvel US G1 series, DW's first War Within mini, the DW MTMTE profile books and IDW's Last Stand of the Wreckers. Far better than the cartoon.

If you are going with the cartoon, my picks would be More Than Meets the Eye 1 - 3, Ultimate Doom 1 - 5 and Megatron's Master Plan 1 - 2. Elements from the latter two were borrowed for DotM, so you can draw some parallels with the live-action movies there.

17. bdougwrx

bdougwrx Well-Known Member

Probably my favorite, too. And it had the side story with Beachcomber and preserving the environment, which was different for an 80's cartoon.

18. KNOOM842

KNOOM842 Ultra Con

Why not everyone i show it to loves it even girls

19. col

col ROCK LORD

News Credits:
    "More Than Meets the Eye" went over alright last night, and she's game for some more! Tonight or tomorrow will be "Ultimate Doom" and maybe "Heavy Metal War".

Things she's taken away from it: Enjoys the moments between Megatron and Starscream, especially Starscream's constant bragging, and cracked up at Spike's assertion that Optimus would "make a neat president" and that helping the Autobots rebuild their ship was the first time the "governments had agreed on anything."

20. Glass_of_water

Glass_of_water Well-Known Member

show her fire on the mountain :D  just cause... "Have fun playing crystal nurse, Screamer! Byyyye!" is probably my favourite line skywarp has ever had! for some reason.