Best G1 Episodes for Movie Prep

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by col, Sep 23, 2018.

1. col

col Artobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My wife and I are going to the screening of the ‘86 movie this Thursday, and I thought I'd show her some G1 episodes ahead of time so she at least recognizes some of the characters from the first part of the movie. Any recommendations on which episodes would be best to show someone who’s fairly unfamiliar with G1 before they see the movie?

• Like Like x 2
  2. ScientistMan

ScientistMan Well-Known Member

"More than Meets the Eye" is a must, as it introduces a good chunk of the 84 cast, the premise, and the general setting before the movie.

"The Key to Vector Sigma" if only because it sets up the stakes of the war more than any other season 1/2 episode.

And maybe "Starscream's Brigade" simply for being Starscream's most impressive moment and exhibiting Decepticons as a faction.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Distant1

Distant1 Well-Known Member

Desertion of the Dinobots (part 2) gives a Cybertron history lesson and heavily features the Dinobots who have a fairly big part (well Grimlock at least) in the movie.

I would also add Triple Takeover for Decepticon disunity.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd probably leave these two out since the Combaticons, Stunticons and Aerialbots are not in the movie. Avoid any 'where are they' questions.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  5. col

col Artobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, that makes sense.

6. Insurgent

Insurgent Big Red Fire Snorting Dragon

I don't think you need that many to be fair. I would say mtmte three parter, the ultimate doom three parter and its followup countdown to extinction where starscream take doctor arkeville, maybe sos dinobot and war of the dinobots.

For season 2, I'd probably just throw in the imobilizer and dessertion of the dinobots to show Carly (she's not in the movie but it shows were daniel comes from) and also shows spike taking a more proactive role in combat, setting them up for the heavy involvement with the moonbases. Since perceptor and blaster just randomly appear in episodes, and so does all the new cast in the movie, i think those two can be overlooked for this. If she asks where Carly is, jus say she's at the Ark during the movie events and she was fraught with worry for daniel the entire time.

• Like Like x 2
  7. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

Here's the thing, does the wife have any familiarity with the Transformers at all? If so, I don't think watching the pre-movie episodes is really a necessity. Otherwise, if she currently has never been exposed to the world of the Transformers, I would say maybe show her season one.

8. Distant1

Distant1 Well-Known Member

I would say less is more. Watch the three parts of MTMTE. The show goes in a totally different direction after the end of S2. Then go onto S3 if your wife likes it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. col

col Artobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I’ll probably just stick with the first three episodes of Season 1, both for time and simplicity. I might fit in a Dinobots episode, if possible. The more I read and thought about, there’s no reason to make it too complicated with what she needs to know going in.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Insurgent

Insurgent Big Red Fire Snorting Dragon

If only you were seeing the uk version, it has an opening narration that sets up the whole movie scenario for newcomers.

11. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Good idea sticking with MtMtE, but if she's up for more Transport to Oblivion became a blueprint for many episodes and The Ultimate Doom showed how high the stakes were and how epic the war could be.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sixwing

Sixwing Gives out likes like Energon goodies.

I need to rewatch The Ultimate Doom.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dean ML

One of the cool things about it is the animation gets better with each episode. Ep1 is just ho hum Toei, Ep2 is great and must be by the same Toei team that did eps like Quest for Survival and Day of the Machines, and Ep3 is truly special because I believe it had Masami Obari's involvement.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sixwing

It's been years since I've watched those episodes, so I don't remember the animation well.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dean ML

There was some beautiful stuff in there. G1 gets trashed a lot by some lazy fans as having terrible animation, and while AKOM and the Filipino studio's work was indefensible, Toei's work was average at worst but was often good to outstanding.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    You only need More Than Meets the Eye to set up the characters and the situation.

I think if you try to push your luck and try to show her a bunch of other episodes, you risk burning her out on the whole thing before she gets to the movie.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

Of course my list is going to be a lot longer but I will make a list that basically would be own prep for someone to watch the G1 movie without having to worry about time and showing too much to burn them out. Basically either episodes that have something that does expand on the plot although the show is very episodic there is somewhat of a ongoing story or just good character episodes. So here a list of a solid 30 episodes that if I had to cut the pre movie in about half this is what I probably do also highlighted episodes will be ones where I would make the case do show the show has some ongoing story and is not all episodic

1. MTMTE Part 1 -3 parter to open the series
    2. MTMTE Part 2 -3 parter to open the series
    3. MTMTE Part 3 -3 parter to open the series
    4. Transport to Oblivion -takes place after MTMTE
    5. Roll for it -Takes place after Transport to Oblivion
    6. Divide and Conquer -introduces Wheeljacks lab
    7. Fire in the Sky -introduces Skyfire
    8. SOS Dinobots -introduces 3 Dinobots
    9. Fire on the Mountain -reintroduces Skyfire
    10. War of the Dinobots -introduces 2 Dinobots

11. Ultimate Doom Part 1
    12. Ultimate Doom Part 2
    13. Ultimate Doom Part 3
    14. Countdown to Extinction
    15. A Plague of Insecticons -introduces Insecticons
    16. Heavy Metal War -introduces the Constructicons

17. Changing Gears -just a good character episode
    18. Traitor -just a good character episode
    19 The Immobilizer -introduces Carly and good Ironhide episode
    20. Dinobot Island Part 1 -introduces dinobot island (mentioned again in S3)
    21. Dinobot Island Part 2 -introduces dinobot island (mentioned again in S3)

22. The God Gambit - good character episode for Jazz
    23. Make Tracks - Brings in Raoul and good Tracks episode
    24. Auto-Bot - Blaster and Soundwave fight and make this like a 2 part with Make tracks
    25. The Search for Alpha Trion -introduces Alpha Trion
    26. The Key to Vector Sigma Part 1 -builds on the mythos and brings in two combiners
    27. The Key to Vector Sigma Part 2 -builds on the mythos and brings in two combiners
    28. War Dawn -Optimus Prime origin story
    29. Starscreams Brigade -introduces Bruitcus
    30. The Revenge of Bruticus - follow up to the last episode

I would like to say the Ultimate Doom does add to the overall story or something but there is no lasting effect of it I guess so maybe not? Then again neither does anything Skyfire or Raoul related so those are in a way pointless too. But still there is some story in G1 with so many one offs.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sixwing

Yeah, I know some pf tha animation was quite good, but there was also crap like Carnage in C-Minor.

19. Dean ML

Yeah, that was AKOM. They're famously horrendous. They did a handful of eps from s2 (The Core, City of Steel, Autobot Run), but half of s3 and the entire three part Rebirth. I read that Hasbro helped fund Nelson Shin's formation of AKOM to provide a cheaper alternative to finer animation studios like Toei. There was also a mystery Filipino involved in s2 (Prime Problem, Kremzeek, Triple Takeover, Auto Berserk, Make Tracks, Decepticon Raider in King Arthur's Court, Secret of Omega Supreme) and two eps of s3 (Starscream's Ghost, Only Human) - their work was slightly better than AKOM but not as good as Toei's.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Sixwing

I've read about the mystery studio on the wiki. We've gotten off-topic, haven't we? :) 

• Like Like x 1