Best G1 accurate remake

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by heshanj, Jul 16, 2008.

1. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    hey...
    im a big fan of the G1 figures...and i was wondering which newer toy line has the best and most G1-accurate figures available. currently, the only line ive seen which looks very accurate to G1 is takara's masterpiece...ive also heard (but not actually seen) takara's encore line.. but not sure about it... btw, wats the difference between masterpiece and encore? i think encore is a newer line, but both lines are still available.

also, hasnt hasbro made any G1 accurate remakes? i mean, the 2006 classics series was..way different. the universe series was too..and i believe thats it from hasbro..please let me know ur views on all this..thanks :D 

2. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

So are you looking for exact remakes of the original toys, or modern takes on the old designs? If the former, the reissues are your best bet. If the latter, the Masterpiece, Alternators and some of the Classic/Universe line (Prowl springs to mind) will serve you well.

3. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Encore line is Generation one reissues (remakes of the originals). So far in the line are Optimus Prime, Megatron, Soundwave (with Laserbeak), Starscream, Ironhide, Ratchet, Sky Lynx, Jazz, and Omega Supreme.

4. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    ok ok. i thought masterpiece was also an exact remake of G1 (a reissue)
    i am looking for exact reissues, although some of the modern remakes look pretty good too (classics etc)...wat are the other reissue lines? nothing major from hasbro, right?

also, u say "prowl springs to mind"...which line is that from? masterpiece, classics or alternators? thanks

EDIT: also, i was looking at this rather funny stop motion video..and im wondering wat these figures are..can anyone shed some light on it?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  5. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I was thinking of the Universe Prowl that's out now. He's basically what Prowl would be if G1 was done today.

Hasbro have done some reissues through Toys R Us, although these are prone to feature modifications like non-firing missile launchers and longer missiles. For absolute accuracy to the originals, Encore is probably the way to go.

Oh, but get Masterpiece Prime. I don't want to pull a "you're not a TRUE FAN if you don't have one" but he is awesome.

6. loudstone

loudstone Artobot

That's Masterpiece Prime (or at least the US release version, which is what I have: TRANSFORMERS 20th Anniversary DVD Edition OPTIMUS PRIME)

The Bumblebee could be G1 or the more recent Heroes of Cybertron Bumblebee keychain by Fun-4-All (basically a reissue). BB's bot mode is a different / non transforming figure though. Not sure what it is.

Encore are reissues. Masterpiece are larger, more detailed, and more G1 cartoon accurate versions of the characters. For example, compare Masterpiece/Anniversary Prime (see link above) with Encore prime.

Another one you might consider is the Toys 'R' Us Exclusive Soundwave Reissue. As far as I know, the biggest difference between TRU Soundwave and Encore Soundwave is the packaging... the TRU version just saw a US retail release. I'm still kicking myself for not picking him up when I was first collecting... there were a number on the shelf, and I didn't realize they were hard to find until after they were all gone...

Edit: Just saw Sledge's post... didn't realize TRU had other reissues, but it sounds like the encore version would be preferrable. And I concur with his statements about Masterpiece Prime. I have the Hasbro version, but it's amazingly awesome.

7. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

Just a follow-up note about the TRU Soundwave. It's actually the Soundblaster mold repainted into Soundwave. It has the bigger cassette door allowing for both Laserbeak and Ravage to be stored in Soundwave at the same time. The original Soundwave could only hold one cassette at a time. Also, his launcher has had the spring removed so it doesn't fire anymore.

So, basically Encore Soundwave = actual Soundwave mold, firing weapon, but only has Laserbeak.

TRU "Classics" Soundwave = actually Soundblaster repainted, non-firing weapon, but comes with Laserbeak and Ravage.

8. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    thanks for that. oh, and u brought up another thing i was wondering...the 20th anniversary prime/masterpiece prime. i know theyre the same, the former a US release...but are all masterpiece figures released in the US under 20th anniversary, or is the 20th anniversary just a one-off thing, with just prime? thanks :D 

oh, and i agree....the masterpiece prime looks great. i actually saw a collection of masterpiece figures on this forum, and i liked em a lot..they look very G1 accurate, even though theyre not reissues...and if i start collecting these, i'd want to stick to one line...and i think the masterpiece line looks better..as u say, more detailed.. and one last thing...wat are the hasbro reissues called?

9. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Twitter: @Super_Megatron Administrator

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
  10. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    so the hasbro commemorative reissues were the toys r us exclusives that were mentioned in this thread by others? and sorry, i couldnt find an answer for my question on if the 20th anniversary was a one-off thing with just optimus prime, or was it a line?

11. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    Yup, the Hasbro Commemorative Series were TRU exclusives, but there's only a few shelfwarmers knocking about in random stores at the moment. They can be picked up on ebay though.

20th Aniversary was a one-off designation for the Hasbro release of Masterpiece Prime. So far, Hasbro have only issued one other Masterpiece, the G1 coloured Starscream, which was a Walmart (? I think) exclusive.

As well as the current Encores, there were some other reissues from Takara a little while ago called TFC (sometimes known as book-style) which had great packaging and some little extras. They are a bit harder to get hold of, but they did a good selection of figures.

12. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    thanks for that! very helpful, cleared up everything i needed to clear up :D