Best Funny Comic

Discussion in 'Transformers Funnies' started by Ironhide2005, Feb 21, 2011.

?

Best Funny

Poll closed Feb 24, 2011.
  1. Murphey's lawl

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. Autobus Prime's Blurry Robot Theater

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Ripoffs Anonymous

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. It's fun-ness on a stick!

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. Spoilers Toys

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. Transformers Legends

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  7. Side B

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  8. Anodythe and Kids

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Transformers Homeworld

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Cryoprime,Seaspray4TF3, and Tahuprime's Funnies

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  11. Half-Randomness for the Fun of It

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  12. Adventures of Big Daddy

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  13. Grimlock_13's attempt at funnies

9 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Murphey's Lawl-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Autobus Prime's Blurry Robot Theater-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ripoffs Anonymous-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    4.It's fun-ness on a stick!
    [​IMG]
    Spoilers Toys
    [​IMG]
    Transformers legends
    [​IMG]This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 723x1023 and weights 789KB.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 723x1023 and weights 835KB.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 723x1023 and weights 843KB.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 723x1023 and weights 768KB.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 723x1023 and weights 769KB.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 723x1023 and weights 747KB.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 723x1023 and weights 779KB.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 723x1023 and weights 839KB.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 723x1023 and weights 814KB.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 723x1023 and weights 776KB.[​IMG]
    Side B-
    [​IMG]
    Anodythe and Kids [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Transformers Homeworld
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cryoprime,Seaspray4TF3, and Tahuprime's Funnies
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fez Findle's Half-Randomness for the Fun of It
    [​IMG]
    Adventures of Big Daddy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Grimlock_13's attempt at funnies

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Holy crap, that's a lot of comics that got nominated. Now time for me to figure out which one gets my vote. >.<

3. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

Thanks for whoever nominated me :D 

Now decisions decisions......

4. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Oh, I just noticed... you forgot to put Crystal Convoy's "Challenge of the Go-Bots" in the poll.

EDIT: And I finally decided on voting for Funness on a Stick.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  5. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

Challenge of the Go-Bots isn't there? Crap, that's who I was going to vote for! Hurry up and get it fixed! :cry 

6. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Yeah gobots as unfair as this has to get the axe since there is already 13 up. Trust me I wish it could get squeezed in because its a close second to third for me.

7. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

Can we get the comic removed from the examples then? It's kinda confusing (and heart-breaking!). Sorry Crystal Convoy!

8. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Uh... uh... Adventures of Big Daddy.

9. Strarf

Strarf Crystal Convoy no more TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Seeing as I'm not on the pole, remove my images from the post. And something to complain about, I don't think a comic should be able to be nominated under both serious and funny.

10. Keith Prime

Keith Prime Advanced Engineer

News Credits:
    Since there are so many nominations, I'll have to come back to this to try to read them all... Or just vote for the one I'm actually reading... Decisions, decisions... (Gobot's would've made 2 I'm reading...)

11. myhobby

myhobby ArigatouArigatouArigatou-

Why not?
    Some of the best comic on this board blur the lines quite well, having both serious and funny moments.
    Serious comics with silly moments, silly comics with dramatic moments...

You get what I mean? What are your thoughts?

Ripoffs anonymous is a really fun comic, i'm gonna go with that one.
    Looking forward to another great year, ectoneon!

12. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

CC:

I'm actually the one who nominated your CotG. I think the only reason it didn't get in is because I sent a PM with all my nominations listed in random order (not ranked at all), and yours was toward the end of the list, which got cut off when the poll filled up. I also nominated Karhukjnsi's comic, and it didn't get in either, for the same reason. My PM was sent pretty late in the nomination period.

No reflection on quality at all! CotG is one of the funniest things on here. I really dig the sense of humor, and it's a shame the poll size is so limited. :( 
    They were just randomly ordered, as I grabbed images and piled 'em on, because I was in a rush. In fact, I was in such a rush that CotG is in the PM twice (now that I look at the PM, again). :) 

I also nominated some comics for both categories, because I thought they fit in both. Heck, I think you could make a case to put a character in both the "funny character" and "serious character" polls. Sometimes somebody will set out to write a dramatic story, but one where you can laugh with the characters in it, and to use just one category or the other is to miss half of the author's intent.

Heck, I would have nominated Transformers Toy Battles (original version) under both, if it hadn't been converted to PDFs. :(  It's quite dark and violent at times, but at others, it really makes you laugh.

Now, as for fairness, I think we want to try as hard as possible to be fair, but we should also be very careful to avoid getting into arguments over fairness, because that is one of the biggest ways something like this can break down.
    The risk of a contest like this is that it becomes a source of disappointment, when people put a lot of work into something, and it doesn't do well.

I mean, take my comic. It never wins anything, in these. It's certainly not going to win this poll. :)  Am I disappointed? A tiny bit. :)  However, I also know that the stuff I write is just plain weird. Some people like it, and some people don't, but if I got rid of the weirdness, it wouldn't be what I wanted to make. You've just got to be yourself, and develop your own style, even if it's not going to make you the Next Big Thing, even in the limited world of hobby mostly-photocomics. :) 

Let's try not to think of this as a contest to see who has a good comic and who doesn't, but as a contest where every comic is up against itself. How well did it succeed at doing what the author wanted it to do?

This is really important, where comedy is concerned, because comedy is so individualistic.

So, in summary, CotG is good, and you should feel good. :D  It's yours, and it does its own thing, and if you go deleting it, Imma chargin my lazer. :(  :(  :( 

13. Strarf

Strarf Crystal Convoy no more TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I know that a serious comic can have its funny moments and vice-versa, but I see it as you're one or the other for the majority of the time and thus only fit one category truly.

14. ectoneon

ectoneon Well-Known Member

Thanks to whoever nominated me. In the end, I had to go with Grimlock13 on this one, as I have been reading That comic since before I was a member here, and it always makes me laugh.

Thanks. No plans of slowing down anytime soon! although the update schedule will be messed pretty soon here.

15. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

I tend to agree. The style you frequent the most should be the category you fit into. No different than movies--dramas can have funny moments, but you wouldn't put them in the same category as a comedy.

This one is a REALLY tough one. I've been going up and down the list and going back and forth between quite a few. I really can't decide yet.

16. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

I agree as well. They didn't make it in, but I nominated a few serious comics for Best Funniest Moment; however, I can't see nominating a comic for both serious and funny comics. Especially when a funny comic gets left out because there isn't enough spots for it while another comic gets listed in both.

17. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Exactly. The "Funniest Moment" really does allow a comedic element in a serious comic to get recognized without having to put the whole comic in that category.

18. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

P3x:

I suppose, though it's a little unsatisfying, somehow. Sometimes the comedy is just as integral as the drama. Take Murphy's Lawl, for instance, or the original Transformers Toy Battles.

Honestly, WaP, which is usually classed as a serious comic, wouldn't be what it is, without the comic elements, and neither would PT!...especially the black-comic elements, for that last one.

Still, it's true that we don't want a comic displacing other ones from the poll. I don't really know how this kind of thing could be handled best.

19. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Wow, I am honored that someone nominated me. I didn't see that coming.

20. Draeck

Draeck Tanks can bounce

I had quite a tough time voting on this one, mainly between Ripoffs and Grimlock_13's for me.. voted for Ripoffs because Ectoneon catches me offguard so often ^^

About the funny AND serious thing, I agree with the "you shouldn't be nominated for both". Most comics are primarily one of them, and supported by the other IMO. You don't want a mainly serious comic with a particular hilarious moment in it to shove a full-on funny comic out of the best funny competition entirely.

That is indeed what funniest moment is for. My comic is kinda split down the middle and appropriately should never really be nominated for either best funny or serious comic. Because how can a 50/50 comic be better at funny or serious than one that is completely focused on it? (which is btw why I'm extra appreciative of the funniest moment being there) And if a serious comic has brilliant humor throughout that makes it better or vice versa, there is always best comic overall.

Not to bash on any of the nominating here, it's just something to remember next year I guess..

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011