Customs: Best Figures to Steal Parts From

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Miggytron, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Miggytron

Miggytron Slag Sucking Saurian

I'm currently looking through reviews and galleries of TF lines that I'm less familiar with (Armada, Energon, Cybertron, movie) to find figures with parts that might be usable for Classics style kitbashing.

Do you guys have any tried and true favorites that you will always buy if you see it for cheap since it yields so many useful parts?

I'm particularly interested in heads, hip assemblies, shoulder assemblies, legs and arms for deluxe sized classics kitbashes.

2. MrSoundmeister

MrSoundmeister Bang,Bang Boom!

well i heard most R.I.D and Cybertron Figures do well with that kind of thing,maybe you can use small lego parts along the way. well what are you planing for the bash anyways?

3. Miggytron

Miggytron Slag Sucking Saurian

Yeah I've been looking pretty closely at Cybertron figures since ripping the parts off of em and slapping some paint actually makes them look decent. Excellion for example looks like a treasure trove of parts since I can probably use his head, legs, waist and forearms.

As far as specifics, I've got quite a few projects in mind.

1) I'm trying to articulate the G1 Insecticons

2) I'd like to replace the heads on the ROTF Bruticus Maximus Brawl, Vortex and Onslaught to look more G1.

3) I'd like to find heads that I can build on with putty or styrene to make Classics Wheeljack, Trailbreaker, Jazz and Hoist heads.

4. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker \/ /\

News Credits:
  5. MrSoundmeister

MrSoundmeister Bang,Bang Boom!

And for the heads: jazz,use the cybertron hot shot head,and mod it to make it look like him,hoist,mod up a movie longarm head. it looks WAY alot like hoist. and for trailbreaker,use a modded hound head.

6. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Clocker and Hardtop form Cyberton are two of the most versatile molds out there. I have like 5 projects I'll be posting soon that all stemmed from them

7. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

It really depends on what it is you're looking to make, but Energon and Cybertron used A LOT of elements from G1 character designs, so that would be a good place to look headsculpts especially for "Classics" styled projects.

Or even just repaints and minor mod projects like Shockblast to Shockwave and such. There's a ton in Energon and Cybertron to work with. Those, "Classics", and KO figures are pretty much all my bashing desk consist of with one exception- RiD Build Team for Devvy.
    He's got a really good Springer head for sure, but I don't quite know about any of the rest of him being much good, unless you do a fair bit of modding. But I could always be proven wrong.
    Energon Scouts for sure. They're the perfect size joints and parts for those little buggers.
    Don't quite know about this one as there's only so many Scouts, and not very many have very "Brawl" or "Vortex"-like heads. That I can think of anyway. You may just have to use the existing heads and build over them.
    Downshift = Wheeljack (which is his name in the Japanese versions of the show anyway). Just build his ear-things up a bit, those could stand to be larger.

Trailbreaker and Jazz, you could mod and build over Cyb. Crosswise or Smokescreen, as they have a clear blue visor. He just has a round head, so that would need to be squared out and given ear-horns for Jazz and a faceplate for Trailbreaker.

Hoist, you could use Movie1 Longarm or RotF Hoist. Probably just smooth out some of the movie-ness on the headsculpt.

8. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

The weapons and fists from ROTF Recon Ironhide are a great source.

9. Lord Vulcan

Lord Vulcan Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Oddly I found that ROTF scalpel while being an awful toy has a lot of usable joints. {I really need to get some more ROTF scalpels to chop up as I keep finding more and more uses for the joints off of them. [I'm currently tampering with a movie 07 brawl and finding the scalpel parts very useful indeed.