Best Fansproject toy.

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Thenames9, Feb 5, 2011.

?

Best of Fansproject

1. Superion add on kit

3 vote(s)
    1.3%
  2. Cliffjumper add on kit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Bruticus (Munitioner and Explorer)

130 vote(s)
    55.6%
  4. Warbot Defender

26 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. City Commander (any version of the mold)

48 vote(s)
    20.5%
  6. Protector

27 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    In your opinion, which is your favourite Fansproject toy that has been released?

2. Manok

Manok Well-Known Member

The bruticus upgrades.

3. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    I voted for the Crossfire kits. They take a so-so toy with a passing resemblance to Bruticus and make it a near definitive classics Bruticus.

City Commander deserves some strong consideration though. He was probably the most ambitious third party effort at the time and his success or failure would mean a lot for both FP and such items in general. It still stands as an impressive piece given the design constraints it had to work with and most seem to think that their second attempt (ie protector) doesn't quite live up to the original.

4. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

The Bruticus set by far. I've seen/handled both Protector and City Commander, but the Crossfire-Colossus set is the only one I own. I paid a decent amount of money for it, and I can't complain at all.

~Z

5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I'd have to say Bruticus. The two-part crossfire set really made what was originally a barely acceptable excuse for Classics/Universe Bruticus into one of the most bas-ass looking figures of all time.

6. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    It's definitely the Bruticus upgrades. I had DIA Commander, but thought it was kinda eh. No interest in Protector, too much trailer for too much money. Defender looks alright, but for the price... Superion upgrades aren't anywhere near as fun as what they did with Bruticus, and I don't think the Cliffjumper upgrade is even something that should be in the running.

Munitioner is a great figure on its own, if not a little backpacky. Explorer is just fantastic and an all-around good figure. I acquired the entire FP Bruticus set in a trade in an effort to get something easier to sell, but I liked it so much I decided to keep it.

7. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    While most of them are pretty great, the Bruticus upgrades really turn a turd into an amazing figure. Most of my new toys get transformed, posed for about 10 minutes, and put in their place on the shelf. After receiving the FP uggrades, Bruticus sat on the coffeetable of a good two day. They really did an amazing job with the detail, weapons, headsculpt, everything.

I still love my City Commander, it was the most expensive figure I had bought at that time, and really lead my downhill slope into MPs, imports, etc.

8. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Another vote for Colossus here. When FansProject first started going, I wasn't interested at all. I'm a kinda-sorta Hasbro Loyalist, and so when City Commander came out, I basically said "so what if Hasbro's Magnus has no armor? The character still works for me, and it's not like the add-on kit adds any new articulation or features."

And I kept that mentality for a long time, and that's still how I feel about -most- unlicensed products. And when I first saw Colossus, I didn't intend to buy him either, especially since I didn't have a complete Bruticus to put him on. But he looked so good, and every new picture just brought me closer to breaking my policy.

Unlike the other products, he -did- add new articulation and play features. Multiple new weapons, all of which looked cool and had mini-transformations of their own, which worked with the combined mode and the individual bots. Much improved arm articulation for the combiner, and a new ball-jointed head. The legs didn't get much of an upgrade, but the new feet did make for more stability in wider poses (provided Onslaught's hips didn't give out).

And unlike the other kits, this one worked even if you didn't own Hasbro's combiner guys; Munitioner and Explorer were very cool scout-sized figures in their own right (and with Swindle being such a popular character, this was very welcome).

The overall aesthetic was just really sharp, especially with the ROTF Bruticus. However, I didn't own the ROTF one. Like I said, I didn't have a complete Bruticus to put him on, so why should I buy it with the ROTF set price skyrocketing? But I -did- have an old Energon Barricade and Blackout, so if I could just get a tank leg, I could totally justify this purchase. And so I friggin did. May not have that cool olive drab of the ROTF one, but the figure is awesome in any color scheme.

Colossus impressed me -so- much that I decided to soften my view on FansProject in general. I went ahead and bought the 2nd version of City Commander as soon as I found one near its original price (luckily, just as with Energon Barricade, I already owned Magnus and didnt have to pay out the nose), and I also bought a G3 Trailer while BBTS had them on sale.

So far I haven't bought from any other unlicensed comapnies, and I'm not interested in Protector or Defender (Protector looks alright, but its retail price is even higher than City Commander's was, and while I like Hot Rod as a character, I don't care about Rodimus Prime. Defender I'm just not into at all), but FansProject has indeed won my respect, and it's all because of Colossus

9. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I honestly still think City Commander is the best.

10. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Bruticus hands down.

11. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I want to say City Commander or Protector, but I think the whole Colossus package is most effective at improving its base figure.

12. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

Bruticus got my vote. City Commander is a very close 2nd. I still want to see the Glacial-bots....or whatever they are called.

13. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Explorer is the best as a figure because defender obviously had to make some sacrifices in order to be a triple changer and althoug i love CC he definateley has storage problems with that BFG same goes for protector

The superion upgrades are great but like all the upgrades they are only as good as the original fugres allow them to be. The original bots are always better.

I also love munitoner but he is pretty simple not to say thats a bad thing he just isn't as interesting.

14. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sidearm is the only one with lasting appeal for me.

15. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I really can not believe the love for Bruticus, it part forms worse than city commander and when not combined there are so many parts left over or so ill fitting that its just beyond a joke, city commander might be left with the BFG but he is still pretty well self contained, as single TF's the "combaticons" aren't.

Defender is nice but rather over engineered, a lot of the same effect could have been gotten with simpler means and his feet are just to small.

The AAA add on nice, simple but silverbots add on were a massive let down sadly, combined great, alone really not so much.

Cliffjumper will always be my one that got away, but still not as well fitted as the others with lot of parts left over.

Then there is Protector a wonderful peace of kit, very true to rodimus prime in some ways not so much in others and the fact rodimus shouldn’t be an amour kit but a complete bot in himself.

Finally City Commander, other than the BFG and the fact the trailer isn't a car carrier its not perfect... but it's the closest we've gotten so it my pick.

16. metrotitan

metrotitan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I voted for Warbot. I was surprised I'm the only one so far.

17. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    I had to with Bruticus. However I will admit that is the only FP product I own, so I'm a little biased.

18. Dr. Grimlockisking

Dr. Grimlockisking Twitter @GrimlockIsKing TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I voted for the Colossus upgrades, though honestly, it's hard to pick amongst all of them. The G3 trailer is beautiful, and probably my favorite out of everything, but wasn't an option

19. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

They are all nice but bruticus wins.

20. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Bruticus, hands down. That thing is just MIGHTY.
    Every single "left over" part can be used as some form of weapon for one of the 5 bots. In either mode. And I don't see how you can say it partforms worse that City Commander and keep a straight face.