Best DS Emulator and Hacking(tested myself) No ROM links please.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by TonyzCustomz, Dec 3, 2007.

1. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thought I would share this little link that I found a while back over at Kotaku, they took it off after only 30 minutes(probably by request). Anyways it's an emulation DS cartridge that accepts micro sd cards. I was very skeptical at first and was unsure if I should buy one for $65 shipped with a 1gig card, I did though and could not be happier. It is so freakin easy to use, I had it out of the package and playing a game in 5 minutes. Just thought I would spread the holiday joy.

I want this thread to stay open so please no posts to ROMS sites only discussions about them and the product. If you want Roms search yourself on yahoo(found them on the first try myself.)

This is the direct link to theR4DS website

This is the site that I purchased mine from, totally legit and shipped pretty fast.

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    How is it for movie playback? Can you get stuff to span over both screens?

3. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Have not tried it myself because my PSP does all that but I will try it out tonight and report my findings.

4. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Yeah, even if it can, I'm sure the PSP will trounce it in all those aspects.

I really can't see this being good for much (if you have a modded PSP) other than playing DS backups.

5. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I only use it for games, I have 17 on it right now and some pictures. Love it cause I can get all the Japanese games I don't want to pay out the wazoo for importing.

6. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    Yikes. I'm no moderator, but I'll enjoy this thread while it lasts. Technically, the R4 is not an emulator. It's a MicroSD adapter with a modified dashboard for rom launching.

Nothing emulates on this, even the NES titles since they need to be recoded in the .NDS file type.

A nifty thing with the R4 is the ability to customize the dashboard with your own layouts. When I flip on my DS, this is what I see.

[​IMG]

The R4 holds 12 "themes". The stock format has 1 theme for every month. You can replace these as you wish ... and I even have a TF one loaded.

You click on the first question block to enter the roms menu.

you click on the second question block to enter Moonshell (the media player)

The third is for Boot Slot-2, or the GBA player.

edit: here's another theme / skin I made ...
    top screen
    [​IMG]

bottom screen
    [​IMG]

7. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    No. I believe the movie plays in the bottom with the upper containing file directory information.

8. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This thread is within all the rules as long as we do not post any links or talk about where to get ROMs. It says it does do homebrew and I am planning on trying out some MAME on it soon but as far as the DS games, yes, it is not an emulator. I love the customizable theme stuff, trying to make my own.

9. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    be sure to look for Vista Icon sets. Those are in the .PNG file type @ a higher resolution. XP icons are at 15px by 15px ... I believe Vista Icons are naturally 300 by 300.

When you drag .PGN's into a photoeditor (for me, Microsoft Image Composer), the images retain their original attributes. (transparency, etc)

10. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the tips I am actually trying to make my own in Photshop CS3. New Optimus head for ds games, Bumblebee head for multimedia, and Old skool Optimus for the GBA. Maybe a Cybertron background.:D 

11. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

I have the SuperCard DS And have yet to figure out how to get MAME on there.

12. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I have an R4 (works great as a SNES player), I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it to play music or movies.

If it wasnt great with backups, I'd be really dissapointed.

13. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    The R4 (and it's cousin the M3) require the Moonshell player to play back music and videos. Video quality is pretty poor, but music is played back well enough. Moonshell comes already packaged within the software update of your card.

Since it is a Slot-1 cartridge, it is only capable of launching NDS files. Older ROMs can be played through emulators coded specifically for NDS, but GBA is out of the question as Slot-1 lacks the GBA BIOS required to run such files.

In all honesty, I love this thing very much so. Right now I only use it for games, but I'm going to be loading the stick with music so that I can use it on my phone too. Older models have an issue with the spring-loading mechanism breaking, but newer models use a newer method for loading the microSD which does not use a spring.