best DOTM voyager class fig

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by transfan681, Feb 3, 2012.

1. mirarage

mirarage Agent of Primus

News Credits:
    Shockwave

2. Wars

Wars I ate the WHOLE plate

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Megatron and Shockwave, hands down.

3. deceptiboat

deceptiboat Active Member

1. Megatron
    2. Skyhammer
    3. Shockwave
    4. Sentinel Prime
    5. up to you

4. Megatron276

Megatron276 destroyer

1.megatron
    2.ironhide(regular)
    3.shockwave
    4.skyhammer
    5.sentinel prime
    6.ratchet(target exclusive)
    optimus suck sooooo much i hate that fig...except for the bb retool/repaint.

5. Will Trans

Will Trans Well-Known Member

1) Megatron: Scale/paint issues aside, amazing robot and vehicle modes, just needs the chains and cool shotgun but the fusion canon is equally cool.

2) Shockwave: Don't know why some dislike this figure, while it isn't tall as it should be and the color is a bit off (dark G1 purple compared to the movie blue/purple color) it's still a really good representation of movie Shockwave.

3) Optimus Prime: Love how bulky he looks, while this is a con to everyone else it's oddly enough a pro to me. It's not the most movie accurate figure but then again few really are. Still it's a really fun toy to play around with, has a GREAT Mechtech gun weapon that I re-purposed for Ultimate Optimus, and works in the same vein as Nitro bumblebee and the Wreckers.

4) Ironhide: He's skinnier than I would like, doesn't have the trademark canon's (instead has a HUGE and awkward Mechtech weapon), and his arms are strange. However it's the best in scale Ironhide in both robot and vehicle modes and is is very poseable. Plus you can always attach previous Ironhide weapons to his arms for a more movie accurate look.

5) Sentinel Prime: A bit on the ugly side, doesn't have the shield/swords, and the back cape isn't very appealing. However, it's very solidly built, is very poseable and has a very cool gun.

6. EmbraceThePurpl

EmbraceThePurpl Raisin man

Skyhammer

7. Pride21

Pride21 Honor Wisdom Virtue

I only have Megatron & Shockwave.

I considered purchasing Sentinel Prime.

At the time he was first introduced pickings were sparse.

Now he clogs the shelves at Target and TRU.

He retails around $15 at said TRU.

Now I'm putting my spare money towards Prime Voyager Megatron and DC Legacy Catwoman.

But, I digress as per the original posters question I'd have to lean towards Megatron as my number one DOTM Voyager.

Still something about the tarp as a hood/scarf of sorts.

8. Leather Elbows

Leather Elbows Dooper

News Credits:
    Skyhammer! Hands down

9. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Shockwave, followed by Megatron, followed by Fireburst Prime. Skyhammer is awful enough to not even qualify and Ironhide and Sentinel suck badly enough that I didn't even bother to own them.

10. Sideways77

Sideways77 #1 flareup simp

News Credits:
    Um, no it's not. That thing doesn't look like the model at all. It's legs are too long, arms are too short, feet are too big, and his head is between his shoulders.

11. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Shockwave. Ironhide is a lot better than folks generally think he is though.

12. Will Trans

Pretty much the same height as Sentinel, Optimus, and the other Voyagers.

[​IMG]

He scales fine with the rest of the Voyagers except for Voyager Ironhide, in which case you'd have to get a smaller Ironhide that's still bigger than deluxe bumblebee/Sideswipe which is a bit hard. Maybe Deluxe Revenge of the Fallen Ironhide works. Oddly enough Voyager Ironhide is the tallest of all the Voyagers without modifying the height by lowering his knees down further.

Here's a group shot of my collection minus Topspin, Crankcase, and Roadbuster for more scale comparisons in robot modes:

[​IMG]

The figure has it's flaws but I think the combination of poseability and scale puts it over for me. Plus if you do a custom job on the paint, add the weapons from the previous figures, and modify his height a bit he almost tops out as the best Ironhide for me.

13. Will Trans

Look, it's not going to be a perfect replica since the figure does transform hence why it has those differences that you list. But it has all the familiar markings and aspects of the model. If they just skipped making him transformable then perhaps we would have had a more accurate movie depiction but as it stands I don't think it's that off the mark.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Sideways77

Sideways77 #1 flareup simp

News Credits:
    I know it can't be perfect, (It'd be cool if it was, though.) but some things could be modified. Like having his head higher up, making his ribcage smaller, giving him a bigger cannon, or making his feet smaller. One that would've been appreciated was putting the blade under his arm.

I mean, he's not the worst voyager ever, but doesn't match up to Megatron.

15. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

Megatron is my favorite out of the DOTM voyagers. Shockwave nudges Skyhammer out of second place as Shocky actually appeared (for however short a time) in the movie. I suppose Ironhide would be third place.

I have no idea where I would place Sentinel and Optimus. Maybe 85th and 1,999,004th place, respectively.

16. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Shockwave.

17. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    megatron. really fun figure. shockwave comes in second.

skyhammer is total crap and optimus is really only good if you're a completist.

18. SeekerofTruth20

SeekerofTruth20 Prime of Primes

My list:
    1. Megatron
    2. Shockwave
    3. Skyhammer
    4. Ironhide
    5. Optimus Prime...I don't have it because it is really bad looking IMO, but it just barely beats shellformer Sentinel Prime's voyager mold.

19. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

I have: both Ironhides, Skyhammer, Megatron and Shockwave....

I think the best is Skyhammer.

Cannon Force Ironhide is probably my favorite, because I think the coloring adds to the mold (adding some black to the face really helps too). The mold also has good posing capabilities, which means the figure can display pretty well. My problem with it is that he just looks too thin, like he's been starving. And his arms tend to sag under the weight of his weapons.

For his downscaled size, I think Shockwave's pretty solid.

Megatron has a Beetlejuice shrunken head factor going on, and I don't think he's as good as I've heard other people say. But he's not bad.

I didn't bother with either of the Optimus Primes (went for HFTD Prime instead), and Sentinel looks like he got a boob job.

20. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    I vote for Shockwave. I love that toy. Next would be Megatron and Skyhammer tied. Sentinel next (he's kind of a decent mold). The rest weren't that great to me.